Confirmed Transfer Beckford loaned to Huddersfield

Status
Not open for further replies.
You must mean a different Beckford, not the one who had 3 good seasons in league 1 at one club, scored 8 in 32 in the Prem and then joined us where he scored 9 in 39. That guy only "thrived" at one club a division below. Must be a different one.

Beckford is probably the best striker in this division after Charlie Austin. You can use figures to twist your story but Beckford was top scorer at Everton in a team that was far less threatening than it is now, as it was set up far more defensively and he scored 10 not 8.

Beckford is probably the best striker in this division after Charlie Austin.

Yeah, you can prove anything with facts.

Being top scorer by scoring 8 goals is nothing anything to write home about. Even Huddersfield fans would never agree with the claim he is the second beat striker in the division as they constantly bang on about James Vaughan and think he's better than Beckford. There are also other strikers with better Premier League records in this division (DJ Campbell for one). Not to mention people who score loads in the division who haven't had the chance to prove they would do better in much worse PL sides than Everton in the way the likes of Grant Holt, Danny Graham and Rickie Lambert have done. I can't for the life of me understand how anyone can claim Beckford is the second best Championship striker, especially Leicester fans who watched his poor performances last season and the beginning of this with their own eyes. Most non-Leicester fans would probably laugh at the claim Beckford is the second best striker in the division.

Why do people constantly over and over assume because players played in the PL they must instantly be one of the best players in the Championship? John Pantsil played in a top half PL side who reached the UEFA Cup final but anyone who saw him last season would laugh at the suggestion he was the best right back in the Championship. Paul Konchesky was in the PL for years, but as we've seen here that's because he's generally reliable and does the basics well, I wouldn't claim he was the best LB in the division because of it.

Last edited:
Yeah, you can prove anything with facts.

Being top scorer by scoring 8 goals is nothing anything to write home about.

I'll say it again. He scored 10!!!

The majority of his appearances came from the bench too. netting ten times during a season when you don't start many games is a very good return indeed.

Not to mention people who score loads in the division who haven't had the chance to prove they would do better in much worse PL sides than Everton in the way the likes of Grant Holt, Danny Graham and Rickie Lambert have done.

Blackpool may have been a poorer team than Everton but they were far more creative and as a result scored more goals. Even so Campbell scored just 3 more goals from more starts. Danny Graham is an unfair comparison seeing as he was their first choice striker last season and started nearly every game. I'd be interested to see how these all compare when the stats are viewed against minutes played.

The whole Beckford saga has been bad news.

It looks like we paid over the odds giving Everton nice fat pickings - and that for a player who I doubt ever wanted to play for us.

He also falls into a category of players who Pearson is apparantly unable to effectively work with - for whatever reason.

Then we loan him to a club who are a rival for a play off place.....and of course he starts scoring.

The next thing is that Huddersfield will probably sign him for next to nothing.

I don't know who is chiefly to blame for all this - Sven who paid OTT for the likes of Mills and Beckford nevermind the wage bill or Pearson who I suspect is not the best man manager in the business and is also a bit too stubborn on team selection.

Beckford would certainly in my opinion be a useful striker for us given our lack of current viable alternatives - and goodness knows what happens if Nugent is injured....but I doubt whether Beckford can be re-integrated with the set up.

So Pearson should change how he wants his team to play to accommodate a player who's hardly set the world alight?

Pearson should be able to be more flexible in his approach full stop.

However not playing to your strikers strengths is a bit stupid even for Pearson, then again we were doing it against Florist for long periods and in most other games this season (lumping it up to our huge imposing forward line)

You must mean a different Beckford, not the one who had 3 good seasons in league 1 at one club, scored 8 in 32 in the Prem and then joined us where he scored 9 in 39. That guy only "thrived" at one club a division below. Must be a different one.

I always find it strange when people use someones achievements as a weapon against them.

Scoring 10 goals in the top division for a dour and defensive Everton was a sterling effort for a player in his first real season of top flight football.

Seems the usual Leicester attitude may have infiltrated you Matt, would you give our other strikers a hard time for scoring 10 in the Premier League season?

If Beckfords previous achievements in League 1 are not to be counted as a strength then what exactly has Reg Vardy achieved that suggests we should bang him straight into a promotion chasing Championship side?

Fact is, Pearson cannot manage the more established players and as a result a supposed average player is now scoring the goals to get a rival into the play-off end of the league table and we are left with some of the most average forwards in the league, including one that cannot get an appearance no matter how many chances Lord Waghorn throws away.

The other one is playing left back because NP didn't see fit to bring anyone in to push Konchesky for his place.

Last edited:
Pearson should be able to be more flexible in his approach full stop.

Playing devils advocate here Lako. But you are suggesting that Pearson alters style for the sum of one player. What about the other ten players on the pitch? Maybe the playing style of the current squad didn't fit Beckford?

Fact is, Pearson cannot manage the more established players

What established players are these? Mills and Campbell were total twats who cared about their wage rather than performance. Gradel geniunely wanted football and got it. Danns is more than vocal in being a total arse when left out. Beckford is the only one I see a case for.

Playing devils advocate here Lako. But you are suggesting that Pearson alters style for the sum of one player.

Not at all Hazz, in fact I feel I must apologise for misleading people.

I merely mean that the ball was ver rarely ever played to Beckford how he likes it. To do this you do not have to alter the way the team is set-up, in fact you can keep the same formation/team/tactics blah blah blah, however the ball was rarely played to backford on the ground, to feet or especially running onto the ball down the left hand side of the area.

When he was at Leeds he was serviced, when he was here he wasn't.

When he was at Leeds he was serviced

Blimey, no wonder he did so well there

Bet all he got from PEarSON was the occasional hand shandy

Will we ever learn ?

Last edited:
Not at all Hazz, in fact I feel I must apologise for misleading people.

I merely mean that the ball was ver rarely ever played to Beckford how he likes it. To do this you do not have to alter the way the team is set-up, in fact you can keep the same formation/team/tactics blah blah blah, however the ball was rarely played to backford on the ground, to feet or especially running onto the ball down the left hand side of the area.

When he was at Leeds he was serviced, when he was here he wasn't.

The biggest factor of Leeds was his strike partner Becchio. I believe his decent form at Huddersfield is largely thanks to Vaughan and Church. He needs a striker partner whose willing to be physical alongside him.

The type of 'ball' you talk about I personally think is not the style of our midfield, we rely a lot more on wing play and using Dyer/Knockaert/Marshall. I don't see Drinkwater and King as midfield playmakers.

The type of 'ball' you talk about I personally think is not the style of our midfield, we rely a lot more on wing play and using Dyer/Knockaert/Marshall. I don't see Drinkwater and King as midfield playmakers.

Which bodes extremely well for our current strikers who will very rarely ever beat a defender in the air to a cross etc.

Our reliance on wing play is also a tad surprising when we simply fail game after game to score from corners, I wouldn't say attacking crosses is our strength.

Either way we will have to agree to disagree on Beckford, I will just cringe every time he wins the game for Hudders.

Playing devils advocate here Lako. But you are suggesting that Pearson alters style for the sum of one player. What about the other ten players on the pitch? Maybe the playing style of the current squad didn't fit Beckford?

What established players are these? Mills and Campbell were total twats who cared about their wage rather than performance. Gradel geniunely wanted football and got it. Danns is more than vocal in being a total arse when left out. Beckford is the only one I see a case for.

+10 Hazz.
No, ****it, +11

I'll say it again. He scored 10!!!

The majority of his appearances came from the bench too. netting ten times during a season when you don't start many games is a very good return indeed.
What I find bizarre is that Leicester fans seem to be saying he's so amazing based on these very few goals rather than the poor performances they've actually seen with their own eyes for the last year and a bit.

Blackpool may have been a poorer team than Everton but they were far more creative and as a result scored more goals. Even so Campbell scored just 3 more goals from more starts. Danny Graham is an unfair comparison seeing as he was their first choice striker last season and started nearly every game. I'd be interested to see how these all compare when the stats are viewed against minutes played.

He scored 8 goals in the Premier League. If you are trying to argue he's a Premier League striker, using goals against reserve teams and lower league teams in the cup hardly backs up your argument. It's like saying Beckford is one of the best strikers in the Championship and using his 5 goals against Swindon and an injury striken Forest in the cup to say how it makes him the second best striker in the Championship. You are comparing him witth Graham and Campbell as a Premier League player yet are factoring in Beckford's goals against lower league opposition and reserve teams in the cup, how does that work?

I'm not saying he gave a shocking return but even if it were a half decent return 8 goals in the Premier League is certainly a long way from proven and it's a bizarre reason to claim someone is the second best striker in the division. Do we not remember when Francis Jeffers scored goals in the PL for Everton? If player x plays 4 games in the PL and scores 4 goals after not being proven above League One level before that and then drops down to the Championship is he suddenly the best striker in the Championship because he has an awesome goals to game ratio in the Premier League? Scoring very few goals in the PL does not suddenly mean you're an incredible striker. If he was that good, why were Everton not bothered about getting rid of him to a lower league team after one season?

I don't understand why fans are saying he's amazing because he scored 8 goals in the PL over what they've seen with their own eyes for over a year. How about you judge him based on how he's played for us, rather than making ludicrous claims about him being the second best striker in the Championship when he's never shown on the pitch for us he's anything like it.

Also, you didn't answer my other point: John Pantsil was a far, far more proven Premier League talent than Beckford was, so would you say he would be the best right back in the league if he were still here or not? If so, why not? Because you're actually basing it on the performances he put in here rather than statistics and word of mouth?

Last edited:
The fact of the matter is that very few of us know the intricate details about what happens behind closed doors at the club. It seems to me as though people are foaming at the mouth about some wild statements that may or may not be true.

The fact of the matter is that very few of us know the intricate details about what happens behind closed doors at the club. It seems to me as though people are foaming at the mouth about some wild statements that may or may not be true.

I think that's the only 'fact' that has been stated in this thread so far

The moment a player leaves he become infinity better. Beckford was average for us under two managers nothing better. I was annoyed when he went but he's not the answer to our problems.

Which bodes extremely well for our current strikers who will very rarely ever beat a defender in the air to a cross etc.

Our reliance on wing play is also a tad surprising when we simply fail game after game to score from corners, I wouldn't say attacking crosses is our strength.

Either way we will have to agree to disagree on Beckford, I will just cringe every time he wins the game for Hudders.

Does every cross have to be aerial then? Both are goals on Saturday came from a wide position. Best chance against Bolton too.

The moment a player leaves he become infinity better. Beckford was average for us under two managers nothing better. I was annoyed when he went but he's not the answer to our problems.

Considering we are playing Waghorn, i would love an average striker right now.

I don't think Beckford is a great player, but he is easily better than Waghorn. IMO he is more dangerous than Vardy, and given that Futacs can't get a game ahead of those two, i doubt he's the answer.

I think Pearson should have managed Beckford to get the best out of him until a reasonable replacement was arranged. The fact that Pearson got rid without replacing him has damaged our chances of Promotion i think. I am amazed that Pearson is prepared to give Waghorn a run of games, hoping he finds form, but wouldn't do the same for Beckford this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669