Speculation Billy Sharp

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, it's Pearson's way of not paying stupid money for players. Read the quotes from him and he says we have paid more than we should previously and he wants a team, not just players after the money. Sharp possibly, and quite rightly, pointed out that if SSL was on a reputed 20k a week then he wanted similar.

How much say would Pearson have in contract talks? (I am genuinely ignorant enough to need to ask!) I assumed that he would target a potential signing and others would negotiate....

P.S. You have an unfair advantage: it is most difficult to argue when faced by your avatar, which I take to be a picture of yourself and your nipper!

How much say would Pearson have in contract talks? (I am genuinely ignorant enough to need to ask!) I assumed that he would target a potential signing and others would negotiate....

P.S. You have an unfair advantage: it is most difficult to argue when faced by your avatar, which I take to be a picture of yourself and your nipper!

It is indeed :icon_bigg

I would imagine he would be given a wage and transfer budget and he would give an indication of how much of that he wants to use on any given player. Please note this is entirely based on how Football Manager works and therefore probably bears no resemblance to real life!

Agree with Matt and Durham, IMO it is more a statement of intent from the board and Manager that we are no longer going to be held to ransom by clubs, players or agents when signing players. I think they have all identified that throwing money at the problem is far from the right solution and all it has done is create an atmosphere and culture around the club of players being too comfortable and lacking the hunger or desire to be successful.

It is indeed :icon_bigg

I would imagine he would be given a wage and transfer budget and he would give an indication of how much of that he wants to use on any given player. Please note this is entirely based on how Football Manager works and therefore probably bears no resemblance to real life!

Thank you.

I didn't think anything could be duller than the Maynard speculation but Sharp has managed it.

It's the correct approach, though I'm not sure how easy it will be to attract players if we are now not willing to match other contracts. I suppose he made it work at Hull, no reason he won't here.

I think that the correct approach is to try to systematically reduce the wage structure to a level reflecting the market value of the players. We seem to have created our own market within the Championship which would have been ok if the players had. matched the money. Poor old Beckford seems to cop a lot of the criticism but it does look like we prised him to sign by making him and Everton offers they couldn't refuse. Obviously this isnt sustainable.

I think that the correct approach is to try to systematically reduce the wage structure to a level reflecting the market value of the players. We seem to have created our own market within the Championship which would have been ok if the players had. matched the money. Poor old Beckford seems to cop a lot of the criticism but it does look like we prised him to sign by making him and Everton offers they couldn't refuse. Obviously this isnt sustainable.

The thing that annoys me about the Beckford situation is that both he and Waghorn were over-priced yet Waghorn will return a hero and will do no better than Beckford. For all his reckless chasing and tackling, Waghorn doesn't hold te ball up or create chances for other players and is hardly prolific.

Am I right in thinking Waghorn cost more than Beckford?

I don't think anyone can easily or honestly answer that. I remember the fee of £3m being banded around, but like any transfer nowadays, so much is clause driven that there is no real base for comparison.

Agree with Matt and Durham, IMO it is more a statement of intent from the board and Manager that we are no longer going to be held to ransom by clubs, players or agents when signing players. I think they have all identified that throwing money at the problem is far from the right solution and all it has done is create an atmosphere and culture around the club of players being too comfortable and lacking the hunger or desire to be successful.

Lets hope they, if you mean the owners, also identify that taking a longer term view, with regard to managerial stability is part of the solution

Lets hope they, if you mean the owners, also identify that taking a longer term view, with regard to managerial stability is part of the solution

Here here, 2 years minimum.

Here here, 2 years minimum.

That's what it will take from where we are now, especially if as Pearson has indicated we are to be more financially prudent. The upside of this i think is that it gives us a better chance of survival for longer when we do go up.

I am intrigued by the English psyche; we love a Tory government telling us that we are naughty children who have taken too much pocket money, and in need of severe punishment. Now, it seems that this attitude has spread to football. You're quite right, buying success is a nonsense: we need to revel in mediocrity - will you tell Chelsea and Manchester City that their feeble attempts to spend their way to Premier League accomplishment are doomed to failure?

I would love to go back to the days when players emerged through the youth programme to become reserve stars, to earn first team places: it isn't going to happen. I wonder what academy sides are for; with the exception of Manchester United, who seem to make a profit selling on their youngsters, I'm sure that they do not accomplish anything worthwhile. The only way to achieve in today's game is spend, spend, spend!

I am intrigued by the English psyche; we love a Tory government telling us that we are naughty children who have taken too much pocket money, and in need of severe punishment. Now, it seems that this attitude has spread to football. You're quite right, buying success is a nonsense: we need to revel in mediocrity - will you tell Chelsea and Manchester City that their feeble attempts to spend their way to Premier League accomplishment are doomed to failure?

Completely impossible to compare.

I would love to go back to the days when players emerged through the youth programme to become reserve stars, to earn first team places: it isn't going to happen. I wonder what academy sides are for; with the exception of Manchester United, who seem to make a profit selling on their youngsters, I'm sure that they do not accomplish anything worthwhile. The only way to achieve in today's game is spend, spend, spend!
In the case of Chelsea it took a lot longer than a few months. In the case of Man City, it's taking a lot longer than 12 months and hasn't been achieved yet.

In the case of Chelsea it took a lot longer than a few months. In the case of Man City, it's taking a lot longer than 12 months and hasn't been achieved yet.

I agree, in both cases, but neither team ditched the 'buy success' approach and indeed, how else is success (in professional football) achieved these days?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566