Pre Match Blackburn Rovers v Leicester City

Status
Not open for further replies.
WTF!
Very strong insinuation. If I was AY, and I read this forum, I'd be taking you to task on that.

Out of order. Do you think he'd be working for Radio Leicester if he was such a beast, I don't!

He's welcome to, It's not like I'm hiding away, I don't like his opinions and he probably won't like mine. I honestly have no clue why RL employs him or Stringer, their commentary is awful.

He's welcome to, It's not like I'm hiding away, I don't like his opinions and he probably won't like mine. I honestly have no clue why RL employs him or Stringer, their commentary is awful.

Because one is a former Leicester City striker and one is dead famous because he came last on the apprentice several years ago. These are the only reasons that I can think of. That Daggers chap who is in the studio on match days is also pretty awful.

"It's not like I'm hiding away" So your name really is Biffa Bacon.

Back to the match. I feel that King should play even if everyone else is fit. Twice he has come on and been superb; what else does a sub have to do. Obviously this means replacing someone. I would put King in for Dyer or James depending on how Nigel sees Blackburn's strengths and weaknesses. I would prefer Nugent and Vardy up front but expect Nigel to stick with Beckford. However, Beckford plays today I would love him to prove me wrong and his supporters right over the season.

Whatever their off-field problems Blackburn have better forwards than Peterborough or Charlton and will be a real test for our defence.

I honestly have no clue why RL employs him or Stringer, their commentary is awful.

It's local radio, we're not going to get anyone special as they'd be off working for Five Live etc.

Stringer and Young are miles better than the likes of Barber and Piper, who went before them. Why people get so hot under the collar about two people who genuinely want City to do well and do an honest, decent job, is beyond me. Young has opinions, which, although I don't often agree with them, is fine by me as it beats most of the ex players who commentate and refuse to criticise or haven't the ability to criticise.

To describe him as racist because he has opinions about players can easily be disproved by the evidence of listening to him for any length of time. He expresses perfectly understandable reasons for his issues with Beckford, that are shared by many others, not including me.

Vardy needs to stay in, he's earned his place and a goal is certainly going to come sooner rather than later. King should come in for James. I'm not sure about dropping Dyer just yet. It takes time to adjust to Championship football, and for now I think Knockaert will be better used as a sub. Eventually he'll be a regular starter and I reckon probably one of our star players. I reckon 3-1, Vardy 2 and King for us.

Whatever their off-field problems Blackburn have better forwards than Peterborough or Charlton and will be a real test for our defence.

Yes - its a bit desperate when people base their hopes on the Blackburn crowd.

This is a tough fixture and I'm not convinced that we have a better squad than Blackburn so I make them favourites on the basis that their forwards may be stronger than our defence.

A draw would be good - a win really excellent.

Alan Young is an unrepentant racist.

This is an unpleasant accusation. Do you have any evidence for it?

This is why I believe people using the internet should use their real name - I accept that I am in the minority on this. In 99% of posts it does not matter. However, just occasionally someone makes a nasty and libelous post about a named individual and in that case I believe they should not hide behind a false name.

It's not like I'm hiding away

"It's not like I'm hiding away" So your name really is Biffa Bacon.

Clearly Biffa Bacon is not his real name - but is David Gwilliam yours? We only have your word for it.

In actual fact Biffa Bacon and David Gwilliam are equally traceable in this world. The owner of this board has made it clear that he will, when required by law, make a poster's personal details available. With these details in hand the police or persons acting for an aggrieved party would find their way to BB's door-step just as quickly as they would to yours.

You acknowledge that you are in a minority in believing that people should use their real names when communicating on the internet. The greater part of the majority who hold the opposite view fully realise that using a name other than their own gives them no immunity.

I think you probably worry too much about this. There are forums where to use anything other than your own name would be unusual/unacceptable and I am sure that Biffa Bacon resides in such forums and there uses his own name. I don't feel such is necessary on this forum and others like it.

(And for the record, I am 100% sure that David Gwilliam *is* your real name. The question in my opening paragraph was for debating purposes only)

It's local radio, we're not going to get anyone special as they'd be off working for Five Live etc.

Stringer and Young are miles better than the likes of Barber and Piper, who went before them. Why people get so hot under the collar about two people who genuinely want City to do well and do an honest, decent job, is beyond me. Young has opinions, which, although I don't often agree with them, is fine by me as it beats most of the ex players who commentate and refuse to criticise or haven't the ability to criticise.

To describe him as racist because he has opinions about players can easily be disproved by the evidence of listening to him for any length of time. He expresses perfectly understandable reasons for his issues with Beckford, that are shared by many others, not including me.

An excellent post and absolutely spot on. What a refreshing change from some of the complete garbage some people put on here.

To me, its fairly simple; if you dont like their commentary, dont listen. I listened once, found Stringer's chatter about everything but the match annoying, so didnt listen again.

Match is being streamed by ##### this afternoon, although that will not be available in the UK. It does increase the likelihood that there will be other stream available though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Match is being streamed by ##### this afternoon, although that will not be available in the UK. It does increase the likelihood that there will be other stream available though.

Thank you for this wonderful piece of information.

Last edited by a moderator:
To me, its fairly simple; if you dont like their commentary, dont listen. I listened once, found Stringer's chatter about everything but the match annoying, so didnt listen again.

Which is all very good, but for those paying for a service have a right to ask for better and have a bit of a moan.

That said, I started listening to the other teams commentators recently...and I've not found them to be any better (and I say this as someone who abhors both Alan Youngs footballing opinion and general worldview).

So maybe it isn't Stringer and Young that are the issue, but the quality of local sports radio in general. I find this genuinely puzzling as I'd expect it's a job people would be clamoring for.

Last edited:

Stringer and Young are miles better than the likes of Barber and Piper, who went before them. Why people get so hot under the collar about two people who genuinely want City to do well and do an honest, decent job, is beyond me.

"It's local radio" How exactly does that excuse it? It is also a service being sold for money as a matchday product by the club via Foxes Player. They have accepted my money and I'm perfectly entitled to complain when they employ ****s like Stringer to talk out of his arse hoop for 2 hours. They had a lad commentating on some of the preseason matches who was immeasurably better at the job than Stringy, I don't know who he was but the point is that there are clearly people available who can perform better than that pair of wankstains. Stringer is patently appalling at the job so sack the ****.
I hope it's a little bit clearer for you to comprehend and it hopefully is not too far beyond you now.

"It's local radio" How exactly does that excuse it? It is also a service being sold for money as a matchday product by the club via Foxes Player. They have accepted my money and I'm perfectly entitled to complain when they employ ****s like Stringer to talk out of his arse hoop for 2 hours. They had a lad commentating on some of the preseason matches who was immeasurably better at the job than Stringy, I don't know who he was but the point is that there are clearly people available who can perform better than that pair of wankstains. Stringer is patently appalling at the job so sack the ****.
I hope it's a little bit clearer for you to comprehend and it hopefully is not too far beyond you now.

If there was anyone better than Stringer, who could do better for the same money and grief, he or she would be doing it. The proliferation of commentators at games, meaning there are several at every game, sometimes more than one set from each of the major broadcasters alone, means that the 'talent' pool is spread very thinly.

Geoff Peters was the last one we had at RL that was any good and he switched to National Radio first chance he got. Ian Carter did the same as did Steve Lambden(?) before him. We get a limited upstart like Stringer or a dithering old duffer. When you listen to other teams commentators, they're all much of a muchness really.

You're well within your rights to claim that a private service you're paying for should do better than simply tap into the local radio commentary and that's something that those who subscribe should consider when deciding on its value. But Stringer does a perfectly reasonable job for RL and is just like every commentator for local radio that get dogs abuse from some. Stringers three predecessors Barber, Foulger and Sinclair were all inferior to Stringer in terms of accuracy and popularity.

The newbie commentator from the preseason games was Jason Bourne. If he eventually follows Stringer as the main commentator, he'll be regarded in exactly the same way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669