Pre Match Blackburn Rovers v Leicester City

Status
Not open for further replies.
Having only the highlights on TV and - a Leicester legend in his own lunchtime - Alan Young, as source material, I am concerned that Beckford's great improvement over last season consists of nothing more than, that he is now prepared to run around like a headless chicken. Any of you chaps that have seen the games want to disabuse me of this doubt?

Having only the highlights on TV and - a Leicester legend in his own lunchtime - Alan Young, as source material, I am concerned that Beckford's great improvement over last season consists of nothing more than, that he is now prepared to run around like a headless chicken. Any of you chaps that have seen the games want to disabuse me of this doubt?

Simply a case of damned if he does damned if he doesn't. People have a pre conceived view on Beckford and regardless of whether he changes to negate that view they still hate him. He's a top quality forward at this level, and I personally don't think he's put any more effort in than usuall this season, other than West Ham away he has always worked hard IMO.

There were many games last season where it appeared that Beckford was playing a match of his own and had little to do with the rest of the team, tactics, etc. Beckford does appear to be more of a team player this season and seems interested in celebrating with colleagues, talking to them more and so on. However, the 'attitude' issue as raised by Alan Young among others, is not something that bothers me at all.

In the Peterborough game he had one clear chance, a free header 8 yards out in the centre of the goal. He put this narrowly wide, but should have done better. I certainly didn't see anything in this performance that could be described as brilliant, but people have different standards.

I think Beckford is one of those strikers that tends to perform better at home than away. But even at home, performances where he influences results are not regular enough. I also think it is valid to take into account the fact that he is paid more than anyone else in the squad.

My own striker preferences are, in order, Nugent, Vardy, Schlupp, Beckford, Waghorn. I've not seen enough of Futacs as yet to place him. As I rate Beckford as a sub at best for us, given his salary and potential re-sale value, I would sell him if I could. I don't think our squad would be weakened by doing this.

There are some people who see Beckford in terms of his goalscoring past for Leeds and his potential to do something similar here. I don't think this is ever going to happen, but I may be wrong. NP may even be in a position where selling Beckford and fearing him score goals elsewhere is a greater concern for his own job security than keeping him. Beckford probably is the best finisher at the club when he's at his best, but I don't think he performs at this standard frequently enough to merit a regular place.

Thierry Henry once laughed off a comment from a journalist who questioned his work rate, he basically said he spends as long as possible resting when there's no chance of his getting the ball so he can sprint more effectively when a chance comes along. Depends on the player really but Beckford's style is largely based around his pace. I have never understood criticism of his work rate or commitment. Alan Young, as an ex-pro and someone whose job it is to comment on football should know better.

Simply a case of damned if he does damned if he doesn't. People have a pre conceived view on Beckford and regardless of whether he changes to negate that view they still hate him. He's a top quality forward at this level, and I personally don't think he's put any more effort in than usuall this season, other than West Ham away he has always worked hard IMO.

No one is saying Beckford doesn't have the quality, just that he doesn't use it often enough. No doubt he can be a match-winner on his day and has been a match-winner for us.

And while Beckford does undoubtably work really hard for a brief period in a game, he also has periods when he refuses to press even when defenders are right next to him or when he tries to beat 4 players and gets tackled instead of making a simple pass to a player open in space. It's no pre-conceived notion about his ability or workrate at all, it's just a notion about his consistancy. People just keep giving one-off individual examples for why he's so good and no one is doubting he does have these moments and we don't have another striker as good as him at his best.

However, as we all know, one 3 second play over a whole 90 minutes can often change the perception of how a player has played over the entire 90 minutes. Beckford does work really hard at times and he is really brilliant at times, but like everything with Beckford he's not consistent enough and he needs to do it more often.

Saying that it's 3 games into the season, so I'm not judging him on this season, just on the last one, but he certainly shouldn't be an automatic starter and neither should Nugent or Vardy.

Last edited:
There were many games last season where it appeared that Beckford was playing a match of his own and had little to do with the rest of the team, tactics, etc. Beckford does appear to be more of a team player this season and seems interested in celebrating with colleagues, talking to them more and so on. However, the 'attitude' issue as raised by Alan Young among others, is not something that bothers me at all.

In the Peterborough game he had one clear chance, a free header 8 yards out in the centre of the goal. He put this narrowly wide, but should have done better. I certainly didn't see anything in this performance that could be described as brilliant, but people have different standards.

I think Beckford is one of those strikers that tends to perform better at home than away. But even at home, performances where he influences results are not regular enough. I also think it is valid to take into account the fact that he is paid more than anyone else in the squad.

My own striker preferences are, in order, Nugent, Vardy, Schlupp, Beckford, Waghorn. I've not seen enough of Futacs as yet to place him. As I rate Beckford as a sub at best for us, given his salary and potential re-sale value, I would sell him if I could. I don't think our squad would be weakened by doing this.

There are some people who see Beckford in terms of his goalscoring past for Leeds and his potential to do something similar here. I don't think this is ever going to happen, but I may be wrong. NP may even be in a position where selling Beckford and fearing him score goals elsewhere is a greater concern for his own job security than keeping him. Beckford probably is the best finisher at the club when he's at his best, but I don't think he performs at this standard frequently enough to merit a regular place.

You seem to base you view entirely on goals and chances, which is your choice, but explains a lot.

No one is saying Beckford doesn't have the quality, just that he doesn't use it often enough. No doubt he can be a match-winner on his day and has been a match-winner for us.

And while Beckford does undoubtably work really hard for a brief period in a game, he also has periods when he refuses to press even when defenders are right next to him or when he tries to beat 4 players and gets tackled instead of making a simple pass to a player open in space. It's no pre-conceived notion about his ability or workrate at all, it's just a notion about his consistancy. People just keep giving one-off individual examples for why he's so good and no one is doubting he does have these moments and we don't have another striker as good as him at his best.

However, as we all know, one 3 second play over a whole 90 minutes can often change the perception of how a player has played over the entire 90 minutes. Beckford does work really hard at times and he is really brilliant at times, but like everything with Beckford he's not consistent enough and he needs to do it more often.

Saying that it's 3 games into the season, so I'm not judging him on this season, just on the last one, but he certainly shouldn't be an automatic starter and neither should Nugent or Vardy.

I do agree with most of what you say there Prof, but if Beckford was doing it all the time on a regular basis he wouldn't be here, we have to accept the odd shortfall to all of our players, that's why they play for Leicester unfortunately.

I always remember the goal he scored last season where he managed to screw the ball in from near enough the byline, thoughts then pass to the fact no other Leicester player in our entire squad could manage such a fantastic technical finish, Vardy most definitely included.

It is true that one tends to remember Beckford's league goals as when they come they are such a delightful surprise.

If he ran around like a headless chicken it was a very tired chickem. If you want to compare him to an animal then "the Cowardly Lion" in the Wizard of Oz would be more apt.

Thierry Henry once laughed off a comment from a journalist who questioned his work rate, he basically said he spends as long as possible resting when there's no chance of his getting the ball so he can sprint more effectively when a chance comes along. Depends on the player really but Beckford's style is largely based around his pace. I have never understood criticism of his work rate or commitment. Alan Young, as an ex-pro and someone whose job it is to comment on football should know better.

It is true that some strikers such as Jimmy Greaves and Gary Lineker were not known for their work rate. They got away with it because they scored masses sof goals.
I wonder what Nigel would say if Lloyd Dyer said he should not help his fullback because "Stanley Matthews never tracked back". I would guess that he would be told "You are not f_____ Stanley Matthews". Beckford should not be compared with Henry.
For anyone too young to remember Thierry Henry was a player who when he played over 30 games in the Prem scored between 25 and 30 league goals. Last season as our most advanced striker Beckford scored 9 in 39.

A good point. Beckford does divide opinion and opinions tend to fossilise. I am confused though Lako. Why do you think that it is only one side of the argument that has pre-conceived views?

Blackburn are unbeaten so far and won their last game at home. I don't think it's as unhappy a place as we'd like to think. If we come away with a point I think we can be pleased. Having said that, I'd prefer all three.

I think they are still pretty unhappy about Kean etc as at the Hull game the fans were singing 'one nil, and we want Kean out!'.

Frustrate them for the first 20 mins, crowd get on their backs and we come away with 3 points - hopefully!

And re Beckford 'that' goal wasn't that special, it was good as it was easy to miss too but if he hadn't put it away I don't think many would have been saying hard luck to him. He can be one of our best players but so can Gally and as already said, neither of them do it anywhere near often enough.

Last edited:

Alan Young is an unrepentant racist. Beckford is good at this level but needs service and support, he isn't Pele or Messi and that's why he is at city not barca.

Beckford is good at this level but needs service and support, he isn't Pele or Messi and that's why he is at city not barca.

Bang on, hence my previous post

Bang on, hence my previous post

Becchio seems to score more now Beckford has left because Becchio created space for Beckford to score in. Now Beckford is playing that role for Vardy, very well from what I saw at Peterborough.

Alan Young is an unrepentant racist. Beckford is good at this level but needs service and support, he isn't Pele or Messi and that's why he is at city not barca.
WTF!
Very strong insinuation. If I was AY, and I read this forum, I'd be taking you to task on that.

Out of order. Do you think he'd be working for Radio Leicester if he was such a beast, I don't!

Alan Young is an unrepentant racist. .

This is an unpleasant accusation. Do you have any evidence for it?

WTF!
Very strong insinuation. If I was AY, and I read this forum, I'd be taking you to task on that.

Out of order. Do you think he'd be working for Radio Leicester if he was such a beast, I don't!

HTB you are quite right. I am glad someone has some integrity.

This is why I believe people using the internet should use their real name - I accept that I am in the minority on this. In 99% of posts it does not matter. However, just occasionally someone makes a nasty and libelous post about a named individual and in that case I believe they should not hide behind a false name.

Is this what is called "trolling"?

WTF!

Put it this way, his attitude to a disproportionate number of non-white football players seems to be highly questionable.

Put it this way, his attitude to a disproportionate number of non-white football players seems to be highly questionable.

Could it be a coincidence? Maybe more black players play in the style that he dislikes (skill over work rate) which i happen to disagree with on the Beckford front.

This is an unpleasant accusation. Do you have any evidence for it?

HTB you are quite right. I am glad someone has some integrity.

This is why I believe people using the internet should use their real name - I accept that I am in the minority on this. In 99% of posts it does not matter. However, just occasionally someone makes a nasty and libelous post about a named individual and in that case I believe they should not hide behind a false name.

Is this what is called "trolling"?

No, it's not trolling at all. Trolling is the new buzz word it seems and will be applied to anything on the internet that people don't like.

Could it be a coincidence? Maybe more black players play in the style that he dislikes (skill over work rate) which i happen to disagree with on the Beckford front.

I'm not sure he's racist, he doesn't seem to like foreign players either. His best friend is Danns though, so he's alright.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669