Carlisle - 13th December

Status
Not open for further replies.
I demonstrated a couple of weeks ago that it's possible to get back to the station without missing any of the game - unless there's loads of stoppage time.

For obvious reasons you know better than I do how long it takes to get from one to the other, but I'd be amazed if anyone doesn't allow for unexpected events in their itinerary, especially when going somewhere with such substandard transport links.

I'd be amazed if anyone doesn't allow for unexpected events in their itinerary, especially when going somewhere with such substandard transport links.

What sort of unexpected delay could there possibly be on a 20 minute walk?
And if you get delayed by a couple of minutes you can make it up by jogging part of the way.

As long as people have left the ground by 4:55 and are prepared to walk briskly they should have no problem. It's the police causing the problem by holding people in, if it wasn't for that I'd have had no worries about getting the train if I was travelling back to Leicester.
I have on a couple of occasions missed the last train back from matches and been stranded overnight, but on neither of those occasions would leaving 5 minutes early have made any difference.

What sort of unexpected delay could there possibly be on a 20 minute walk?

Not the walk. The game. Unusually long injury time, late kick off for whatever reason, other interruptions to the game. It's no good assuming it won't happen, because as soon as you do that it will happen.

And if you get delayed by a couple of minutes you can make it up by jogging part of the way.

Not an option for fat lasses, or really really fat blokes :icon_bigg

It's the police causing the problem by holding people in

That's never been under dispute. The decision taken by Cumbria Police is a manifestly absurd one, and nobody with any sense whatsoever would argue with that :icon_wink

I have on a couple of occasions missed the last train back from matches and been stranded overnight, but on neither of those occasions would leaving 5 minutes early have made any difference.

In this case it's different. You've stated that it's a 20 minute walk, and you'd normally expect the game to finish approximately 20 minutes before the last train leaves. Those five minutes could be all the difference. Like I said, I'd be surprised if these people were planning on staying the whole game at the very real risk of being stranded. Otherwise it's just bad planning.

Not the walk. The game. Unusually long injury time, late kick off for whatever reason, other interruptions to the game.

You said "I'd be surprised if anyone planning to go by train was intending to see the game out anyway. "

I would have thought everyone going by train would plan to see the game out. It would only have been necessary to leave early in exceptional circumstances.

In this case it's different. You've stated that it's a 20 minute walk, and you'd normally expect the game to finish approximately 20 minutes before the last train leaves.

The last train leaves at 5:15. It would be unusual for a match to finish later than 4:55, usually it would finish a few minutes earlier than that. As long as people have left the ground b 4:55 they should be OK. It might mean leaving your seat and standing near the exit waiting for the ref to blow, but a lot of people do that anyway.

As long as people have left the ground by 4:55 and are prepared to walk briskly they should have no problem.

Yesterday's game finished at 4:57. Even with only 7,000 in the stadium, it was still after 5:00 before I was away from the stadium.

It's the police causing the problem by holding people in, if it wasn't for that I'd have had no worries about getting the train if I was travelling back to Leicester.

I am sure that you as a neocumbrian know very well why the police took this decision. You must know of the incidents that occurred the last time there was a large away following at Brunton Park - and please don't waste your time telling me that was a visit of dirtyLeeds because you know as well as I do that most of the trouble was instigated by the home fans on that day. The police are simply planning to avoid any repetition of those events and I don't blame them for it.

On a slightly different point, did your 'test-walk' allow for walking round the many Carlisle fans who will be able to reach the main road before any City fan possibly could and overtaking any of them who are walking more slowly whilst at the same time avoiding being run over by traffic on that road. Did you allow for a queue at the ticket barrier (please ignore if Carlisle is now an open station) and for the train doors to be closed 30 seconds before the due departure time? You, of course, know the way from the ground to the station; do you think anybody who was unsure of the exact route could have made the journey as quickly? Did you test the route on a freezing cold day after dusk and after being immobile for a couple of hours at the match; or after a couple of warm-up laps on a balmy autumn afternoon?

Yesterday's game finished at 4:57. Even with only 7,000 in the stadium, it was still after 5:00 before I was away from the stadium.

I am sure that you as a neocumbrian know very well why the police took this decision. You must know of the incidents that occurred the last time there was a large away following at Brunton Park - and please don't waste your time telling me that was a visit of dirtyLeeds because you know as well as I do that most of the trouble was instigated by the home fans on that day. The police are simply planning to avoid any repetition of those events and I don't blame them for it.

On a slightly different point, did your 'test-walk' allow for walking round the many Carlisle fans who will be able to reach the main road before any City fan possibly could and overtaking any of them who are walking more slowly whilst at the same time avoiding being run over by traffic on that road. Did you allow for a queue at the ticket barrier (please ignore if Carlisle is now an open station) and for the train doors to be closed 30 seconds before the due departure time? You, of course, know the way from the ground to the station; do you think anybody who was unsure of the exact route could have made the journey as quickly? Did you test the route on a freezing cold day after dusk and after being immobile for a couple of hours at the match; or after a couple of warm-up laps on a balmy autumn afternoon?

Yeah. What he said.

I'm glad my coach to Glasgow doesn't leave till 17.55 :icon_bigg

You should check your watch. I started the post match thread at 4:55.

And if you knew you needed to leave as quickly as possible you would have been able to make sure you were standing near the exit when the full time whistle went.

don't waste your time telling me that was a visit of dirtyLeeds because you know as well as I do that most of the trouble was instigated by the home fans on that day.

I have already stated in this thread that it was the Carlisle hooligans that came out of the woodwork due to the visit of Leeds. But I also said that Leicester aren't Leeds, Carlisle fans don't see us in the same way they see Leeds, and there won't be anywhere near as many fans of either side at the game.

On a slightly different point, did your 'test-walk' allow for walking round the many Carlisle fans who will be able to reach the main road before any City fan possibly could and overtaking any of them who are walking more slowly whilst at the same time avoiding being run over by traffic on that road.

I would advise people to cross the road at the earliest opportunity, as most people stay on the same side as the ground.

Did you allow for a queue at the ticket barrier (please ignore if Carlisle is now an open station)

I'll ignore that :icon_wink

do you think anybody who was unsure of the exact route could have made the journey as quickly?

The route is easy, just follow the road. Anyone who gets lost on that route should probably not be allowed out without an adult to hold their hand.

Did you test the route on a freezing cold day after dusk and after being immobile for a couple of hours at the match; or after a couple of warm-up laps on a balmy autumn afternoon?

It was cold and raining when I did it.

As I said at the time, I could have gone faster if necessary, I walked at a reasonably brisk pace but without trying too hard.

I'm usually bored by 60 minutes anyway, how I make it all the way to 70 is beyond me. I say reduce the game time so I can spend less time with the mongies.

Well I thought the match finished at precisely 4:56 and 27.8293459 seconds.

Well I thought the match finished at precisely 4:56 and 27.8293459 seconds.

An illustration of the pointlessness of that discussion. Even if the game finishes at 4.48, you'd still be cutting it a bit fine if we remember all the factors mentioned earlier.

Last edited:
An illustration of the pointlessness of that discussion. Even if the game finishes at 4.48, you'd still be cutting it a bit fine if we remember all the factors mentioned earlier.

No one's ever argued about it being a close thing. But given the choice between having to hurry back to the station for the last train, staying the night or going by coach, I'm sure some people would have chosen the first option, until the police decided to intervene.

No one's ever argued about it being a close thing. But given the choice between having to hurry back to the station for the last train, staying the night or going by coach, I'm sure some people would have chosen the first option, until the police decided to intervene.

So it sounds like you're actually agreeing with what I said...

So it sounds like you're actually agreeing with what I said...

My position has been the same ever since the thread started, maybe you've changed our mind?

This argument started because you said people going on the train would be planning to leave before the end. I disagree with that. The match would have to finish unusually late for it to be necessary to leave early, as long as people are prepared to walk quickly.

My position has been the same ever since the thread started, maybe you've changed our mind?

This argument started because you said people going on the train would be planning to leave before the end. I disagree with that. The match would have to finish unusually late for it to be necessary to leave early, as long as people are prepared to walk quickly.

I'm still of the opinion that people unfamiliar with the town who know the last train is at 5.15 yet think they can walk back through football traffic in time to catch it are lacking in foresight, as well as a lot of other things.

once you are beyond the Warwick road end you can walk without anyone around you passed the snout shop and to the station no bother, not many folk take that route and it doesnt take long at all

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4490
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566