CL statement on the web

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.thisisleicestershire.co....tentPK=15394048&folderPk=77460&pNodeId=132401

Did you cop this one. Nice of CL to slag us of now he's found a job. The one point that I did find worrying was the statement about the directors. Because they all own the same amount of shares, do they all think they are the big cheese. Don't really know how it works with them but I can see there being problems if egos get to big. Maybe the Foxes Trust can tell us if there is a power struggle behind the scenes between various directors. Could see how that would affect the football managers position.

Craig Levein has described taking the Leicester City manager's job as a "mistake.''
Leicester City have described giving Craig Levein the manager's job as a "mistake"

And now we're all even....

Surprised at how bitter he still is about it. Did he really think it was all under control and there weren't any problems? Unless he comes to terms with the fact that he actually fecked it up himself, he'll never get on anywhere.

Leicester City have described giving Craig Levein the manager's job as a "mistake"

Surprised at how bitter he still is about it. Did he really think it was all under control and there weren't any problems? Unless he comes to terms with the fact that he actually fecked it up himself, he'll never get on anywhere.

He talked a good game but could never transfer it onto the pitch. Played reasonable football but it didn't get us any results. That was the boards mistake listening to him in the first place.

Imo CL will probaly do o.k in time and in Scotland. His time here was always going to be short once the players had seemingly lost faith in him. For those that went to Plymouth that night must have saw a team who were basically rejecting their manager.

I still think it's harsh to blame the board for appointing CL. He had done a good job at Hearts, he had the best CV, and everyone seemed highly pleased with his appointment (certainly on here). Similar situation to the T*ylor fiasco really - good on paper, shite on grass.

The only criticism I could level at the appointments of CL, PT and also to RK, is that none of them had prior experience in the league we were playing in. But the problem with having that as one of your criteria is the only manager you'd pick up is either one who already has a job (requiring the payment of compensation, eg: Newell) or one that is out of work, which, unless there's been a clash of personalities (a la MON at Norwich) or there's been deeper issues (MON leaving Celtic) then they've been fired by their previous club for being crap. If we'd gone down that route, we'd have ended up with Peter "Monkey Head" Reid.... :018:

Appointing a manager is probably a lot more tricky than we appreciate. I wouldn't like to be the one standing or falling by that decision...

Dont forget that Levein was given the task of reducing the age of Citys squad afer Mickey Adams eldery mercenaries. To this end Levein succceeded all that was missing was the points on the pitch. I dont believe appointing him was a mistake and nor should CL. After all getting a team to 3rd place isnt exactly hard is it? gave him a chance to see just how good he is hence why he is now at Raith Rovers!!

It may be sour grapes, but it may also be true.

We have all criticised our board for a lack of ambition, lack of business skill and being shite in general. When a former manager says the same thing from the outside we all take it personal.

CL has pointed out a major problem at this club that we have known for a long time, the board is shite.

I see no problem with his statement

Last edited:
I tend to agree with Melton, it will feel like a massive mistake to Levein, bearing in mind he came to Leicester with a decent reputation and a bright future as a manager, he was also given an unenviable task of massively reducing the playing budget whilst changing the whole structure of the club and the way it operates.

This was always going to be a difficult task and one that was going to take a lot of paitence and time, however Levein was prepared to accept the challenge, however despite the poor results on the pitch, he will feel let down that despite embarking on a long term plan with the full support of the board, that when the going got tough the board quickly removed their support and left his reputation in tatters.

I find his comments concerning and I think it further proves that the current constitution of the club is indeed holding us back.

We have all criticised our board for a lack of ambition, lack of business skill and being shite in general. When a former manager says the same thing from the outside we all take it personal.

CL has pointed out a major problem at this club that we have known for a long time, the board is shite.

I tend to agree with Melton, it will feel like a massive mistake to Levein, bearing in mind he came to Leicester with a decent reputation and a bright future as a manager, he was also given an unenviable task of massively reducing the playing budget whilst changing the whole structure of the club and the way it operates.

This was always going to be a difficult task and one that was going to take a lot of paitence and time, however Levein was prepared to accept the challenge, however despite the poor results on the pitch, he will feel let down that despite embarking on a long term plan with the full support of the board, that when the going got tough the board quickly removed their support and left his reputation in tatters.

I find his comments concerning and I think it further proves that the current constitution of the club is indeed holding us back.

agreed with you both CL only did what was asked of him by the board :102:

http://www.thisisleicestershire.co....tentPK=15394048&folderPk=77460&pNodeId=132401

Did you cop this one. Nice of CL to slag us of now he's found a job. The one point that I did find worrying was the statement about the directors. Because they all own the same amount of shares, do they all think they are the big cheese. Don't really know how it works with them but I can see there being problems if egos get to big. Maybe the Foxes Trust can tell us if there is a power struggle behind the scenes between various directors. Could see how that would affect the football managers position.

The Mercury quotes no more than about 2% of an interview which appeared in The Scotsman last Saturday - about ½ a paragraph out of 18. I don't actually see where he "slags us off". What he says is that he made a mistake in taking the job and that he did it only because he was desperate to get away from Hearts.

The only comment that he makes about City is in relation to the number of directors in comparison to his other clubs where he had been working to one boss. Knowing what we do about the make-up of the board, O don't think we can be too surprised about that and it certainly does not amount to 'slagging us off'.

Perhaps you should read the whole of The Scotman article, which is also available on line, to see the context of the whole piece from which the Mercury has tried to draw a provocative passage.

Last edited:

Have they? When did they do this?

It's the bit about the not knowing which directors were in charge was the worrying bit.

Very worrying! And as that is the only real comment that CL made on the Club in the whole interview, I continue to wonder why it is that you say he is slagging us off.

It is clear that the person in charge is/should be Tim Davies - but I think that this article confirms that which has been suspected for some time - that there are people on the board who doubt that he is the man for the job and have disrupted his carrying out of his role.

The current structure is not one that is ever likely to lead to strong governance of the club and attention needs to be given to that fact.

Last edited:
I would say his heart was never in it here, as was rumoured early in his tenure. The statements 'I was desperate to get out of hearts' and then 'romanov arrives a few days after I gave the Leicester board my word' hardly gives me confidence he started on the best foot here.

Glad he has gone.

He talked a good game but could never transfer it onto the pitch. Played reasonable football but it didn't get us any results. That was the boards mistake listening to him in the first place.

Or perhaps the board's mistake in not allowing him the tools to do the job.

:038:

Nothing wrong with what he says at all, and perhaps he is alluding to a larger behind-the-scenes problem at the club?

I don't either and to him taking the job was a mistake,he failed he knows that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669