Clarke Carlisle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Am I missing something here?
The facts as I see them....

I described CC as a twat, as I was unable to resolve his perceived intelligence against his decision to drink drive back in 2011.

Mawsley made an emotional case for sympathy to be given due to mental illness. I was nearly on board.

It emerged that he has been charged for a second time with risking the lives of mine and other's children, shortly before his alleged suicide attempt.

My view re-hardened and was expressed with the sarcastic 'Poor lamb' post.

BM's 'Outstanding' post suggests he either shares my view, or his opinion is poles apart.

What bit of that do you need help with?

The facts as I see them....

I described CC as a twat, as I was unable to resolve his perceived intelligence against his decision to drink drive back in 2011.

Mawsley made an emotional case for sympathy to be given due to mental illness. I was nearly on board.

It emerged that he has been charged for a second time with risking the lives of mine and other's children, shortly before his alleged suicide attempt.

My view re-hardened and was expressed with the sarcastic 'Poor lamb' post.

BM's 'Outstanding' post suggests he either shares my view, or his opinion is poles apart.

What bit of that do you need help with?

None of it. I understand it now.

On a lighter note, I've just beaten my own Mumu record again.
edit: Keep trying Blaarev.

Last edited:
Interesting debate bubbling under the surface of this thread. I'm totally in agreement with the sentiments expressed by Maws, but there is something in Rydal's stance that has to be addressed.

If we were understanding and forgiving of the consequences of mental illness most of the people in prison wouldn't be. Most murderers and rapists would first and foremost be victims. The link between mental illness and crime is huge if you've ever had anything at all to do with people in prison.

In CC's case, he drove when drunk and will presumably either face the consequences and get a driving ban, fine, suspended sentence, depending on the severity of the incident. Effectively, his mental illness made him do a criminal act. So he's both a criminal (committed a crime) and a victim (crime occurred due to ill health).

What is it that separates someone with a mental illness that doesn't do illegal/criminal things from one that does? If we accept that doing something like throwing yourself in front of a lorry is completely out of his control, what if murdering someone was similarly out of someone's control?

CC clearly needs treatment and support rather than criticism. But what if he'd killed someone when he drank and drove? Or what if the lorry had swerved, crashed and killed the driver?

I presume that Carlisle will be receiving fees from the Mail and from the Sun. I hope he will be passing on at least 50% to the unfortunate lorry driver he involved in the incident.
Bob Hope is dead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670