Edgar Davids on his way?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fowler was another 'Milan' signing that never happened.

Last edited:
good point. i bet it wont happen, we've never pulled off any of these.

The again, Kaebi, Ferrera and Djeziri (Had to look the last guy up as I couldn't remember his name) were most definitely Milan signings so you never know...

There are two things which point to this being a purely Mandaric / financial decision rather than a Pearson / footballing one...

1) This report in the Mercury yesterday:

Mandaric has confirmed a group of businessman have been at the Walkers Stadium to discuss "marketing possibilities".

He said: "The group is helping us review our marketing possibilities, our international exposure and to raise money through the assets of the club."

Mandaric said he would "never rule anything out" as he looks at ways of boosting the finances of the club.

2) Pearson refuses to confirm that he personally is interested in signing Davids, and skirts around the question by simply saying "there has been interest".

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/l/leicester_city/8317903.stm

Maybe I'm looking into things too much? Either way, I hope I'm wrong.

Agreed. This is a Milan marketing ploy. Strengthen the brand name with Leicester supporters; provide a player with whom existing customers and potential customers will identify. Strengthen the Leicester brand to the wider footballing world.

At this level it might actually be a smart move - but I doubt very much whether it will have any strong direct football benefits. But to be fair Davids is a somewhat iconic figure, there's no transfer fee and the kids of all ages from 6- 70 will love it when he runs onto the pitch even if it is only for 25 minutes or so. You could also overstate to the media his wages so it makes him appear to be an even bigger star etc, etc.

Milan's actually downplayed Davids' potential wages.

Story on BBC has comments from Mandaric saying that Davids' wouldn't be paid an extortianate amount, no more than our top players are currently getting, although his contract may involve bonuses based on us gaining promotion this season.

Also said he's only been offered a 1 year deal.

Nice to see us (i.e Mandy) learning from past mistakes.

I realised I am super excited about the possibility of this happening... Davids is one of my favourite players (love the Dutch team, and most of their players from when him and Bergkamp were in there)... even though he obviously won't be as good as he was, I'm so excited by the idea of him pulling on the Leicester shirt. Even at 10% of what he once was, he'd still be a class above what we have, and most of what is in this division.

Get it done :)

I take it we can sign him and he can play straight away, no waiting round till Jan because hes a free agent?

Yep, it's only if they were registered with a club when the window closed that we'd have to wait (as far as I know). Which he wasn't.

I actually hope this doesn't happen, because I can't afford a trip back to the Walkers right now. If he did sign, I'd have no option but to fly over and see for myself, so I will have to go into debt.

So it's a bad financial move for me, at the very least...

I actually hope this doesn't happen, because I can't afford a trip back to the Walkers right now. If he did sign, I'd have no option but to fly over and see for myself, so I will have to go into debt.

So it's a bad financial move for me, at the very least...
If he joins then I will pay for your flight :)

Fecking respect Harbro!

Putting your money where your mouth is.

Give it up for Harbro boys and girls. He is either wealthy beyond most of our dreams or absolutely has no faith whatsoever that Milan can pull this off.

Personally I think Milan tried a few stunts when he first took over, because he was actually a bigger name than our managers.

Since he appointed Pearson though, I think he has realised he actually has one of the best managers outside of the Prem.

I really do not think he would try this without Pearson's full support for fear of pissing him off and giving him a reason to jump ship.

Milan knows he must get into the Prem to get any of his money back, and Pearson is his best chance of doing it.

I personally think his presence would benefit the squad. The guy has masses of experience at the highest levels of football on both international and club levels and has been successful at those levels as well. Even if he never played a game for us to have someone like that around our squad would surely only be beneficial to us.

Spending £1M on a bloke who never plays a game would be beneficial? That's some great kind of logic you're using there!

This reaks of the Roberto Mancini fiasco all over again.

Agreed.

Fiasco? To me, he was a breath of fresh air. Brilliant whilst he was here briefly.

But what did it actually do for the club? A lot of money spent for little or no reward. 314 minutes - that's all it was. 314 minutes over 5 games - not one of them a complete game. Fiasco is the right word - he was neither up to it nor up for it.

For the record I will buy a Davids shirt if he come to City though I am not sure the Club has one in my size. :icon_conf

They do a 4XL

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673