England v Sri Lanka 3rd test

Status
Not open for further replies.
Melton Fox said:
We only had Harmison missing from the bowling really. You could argue that Giles would be in front of Monty, but neither are world class bowlers. Quite simply not good enough, we do not have 1 world class bowler, our best bowlers are very good, but not world class

Sorry Melts but again I disagree. Freddie, Hoggard and Jones are world class IMO. That's why Freddie and Hoggard are in the top 6 in the world. Harmy in fact hasn't been world class in terms of figures since the 2004 summer but the role he has played for the team in containing and threatening the batsmen (and let Freddie and the rest mop up the wickets becuase of Harmy's bowling) has been vastly missed.

The one problem this team has had for the past 2 years is mopping up the tail. Warne, Lee, Kumble and Vaas (even Murali) have scored a ridiculous amount of runs and spent a ridiculous amount of time at the crease. The England team have brilliant plans for the batsmen but forget them when they get to no.9.

glyn said:
The one problem this team has had for the past 2 years is mopping up the tail. Warne, Lee, Kumble and Vaas (even Murali) have scored a ridiculous amount of runs and spent a ridiculous amount of time at the crease. The England team have brilliant plans for the batsmen but forget them when they get to no.9.
World class bowlers shouldn't find this a problem :102:

Maybe I should have worded it that our top bowlers, although world class, haven't got the bollox, the backbone, the guts, determination or aggression to ever be the best :102:

To be honest as soon as Sri Lanka managed to get over 250 it was always going to be a tough task. Especially with Murali to face!

You could get Evens on Sri Lanka to win this morning as well! Should have put a bet on it....wait a minute :icon_wink

Last edited:
The score was a tough ask, but Englands middle order batsmen seemed mentally beaten when they knew they had to face Murali.

Melton Fox said:
World class bowlers shouldn't find this a problem :102:

Fair point - nice logic!

Melton Fox said:
Maybe I should have worded it that our top bowlers, although world class, haven't got the bollox, the backbone, the guts, determination or aggression to ever be the best :102:

They proved in the Ashes that they did. As did Freddie and Hoggard in India. However I take your point. I think that their failure to mop up the tail might be down to management and captaincy as well. For goodness sake they bowled to perfect plans against the Aussie top 7 then didn't know how to get Warne and Lee out. Had the management looked at Warne's batting in enough detail? Shouldn't the skipper have had a quite word with Harmy in Edgbaston that bouncing out Brett Lee wasn't working, and that he was conceding far too many extras because of it?

I think what we're talking about is the difference between current world-class players and 'legends' such Murali, Warne and McGrath. They are in the all-time best and all playing now - who can mop up the tail blindfolded - and therefore make others look fairly ordinary.

Speaking of India, there is going to be doom and gloom that we haven't won a series since the Ashes. And I fear that the great achievement of drawing in India with 5-6 players absent is going to be forgotten about by the doom and gloom merchants.

The fact is, this Sri Lanka series would have been won if they'd have catched half of their chances in the first test. End of story. That's sport for you.

England are still behind Australia, but still number 2. Everything is not rosy, but now is not the time to go back to the days of chopping and changing.

(But we're going to lose in the Winter :icon_conf )

glyn said:
Everything is not rosy, but now is not the time to go back to the days of chopping and changing.

Mind you, Ramprakash can't stop scoring runs at the moment.......... :icon_wink :icon_wink

I agree with you 100% Glyn, but I fear that we won the Ashes on adrenaline and incredible support as opposed to pure skill.

McGrath slipping on that ball helped us out a lot as well, but eh, shit happens to us all, what comes around goes around

glyn said:
Fair point - nice logic!

They proved in the Ashes that they did. As did Freddie and Hoggard in India. However I take your point. I think that their failure to mop up the tail might be down to management and captaincy as well. For goodness sake they bowled to perfect plans against the Aussie top 7 then didn't know how to get Warne and Lee out. Had the management looked at Warne's batting in enough detail? Shouldn't the skipper have had a quite word with Harmy in Edgbaston that bouncing out Brett Lee wasn't working, and that he was conceding far too many extras because of it?

I think what we're talking about is the difference between current world-class players and 'legends' such Murali, Warne and McGrath. They are in the all-time best and all playing now - who can mop up the tail blindfolded - and therefore make others look fairly ordinary.

Speaking of India, there is going to be doom and gloom that we haven't won a series since the Ashes. And I fear that the great achievement of drawing in India with 5-6 players absent is going to be forgotten about by the doom and gloom merchants.

The fact is, this Sri Lanka series would have been won if they'd have catched half of their chances in the first test. End of story. That's sport for you.

England are still behind Australia, but still number 2. Everything is not rosy, but now is not the time to go back to the days of chopping and changing.

(But we're going to lose in the Winter :icon_conf )

I'm not so sure. This time the pressure is on the Aussies,and they will have to win the series to win back the ashes. Hopefully Vaughan will be back with Jones and Harmison. Not bothered about the king of spain, i think Monty looks a fine bowler.

Brauny Blue said:
I'm not so sure. This time the pressure is on the Aussies,and they will have to win the series to win back the ashes. Hopefully Vaughan will be back with Jones and Harmison. Not bothered about the king of spain, i think Monty looks a fine bowler.

I just think the Aussies will find us out and McGrath/Hayden/Langer will come good for a final hurrah. We'll win it back next time though.

Melton Fox said:
I agree with you 100% Glyn, but I fear that we won the Ashes on adrenaline and incredible support as opposed to pure skill.

McGrath slipping on that ball helped us out a lot as well, but eh, shit happens to us all, what comes around goes around

I'm not so sure Melts. England should have won 3-1 and it was only the class and determination of the Aussies that denied us in the 3rd test.

glyn said:
I just think the Aussies will find us out and McGrath/Hayden/Langer will come good for a final hurrah. We'll win it back next time though.

Maybe a series too far for some of them:102: . Their best players are very much an ageing team

Melton Fox said:

There a bit of truth in what you said, but I just think England's superior planning won the series. As BB says it should have been 3-1.

Melton Fox said:

Ah, great memories . Wasn't there a smile on all our faces at 10.30 that morning. :icon_lol:

Brauny Blue said:
Maybe a series too far for some of them:102: . Their best players are very much an ageing team

Depends a lot on whether McGrath is fit and back on form. They will have had several months off by then unlike England. Without McGrath, the Aussies would need to score tons of runs to win it as their bowling won't be up to it.

It shouldnt be all doom and gloom, bearing in mind the calibre and experience of the players we have missing, I am sure Australia would struggle without 4 of their proven performers.

Imagine an Australian side minus Lee, McGrath, Ponting and Warne. I am sure they would find that a monumental task to find replacements and to have to blood them at the same time.

One criticism I would level at the senior players is that since the Ashes win, they seem to have lost their competitive edge and that they are now believeing their own hype, complacency seems to have set in. My concern is that it isnt always that easy to switch it on and off for the big games, too many players seem to be saving themselves for the Winter and we could get caught cold down in Australia.

One area that is massivley in a favour is that the Aussies are a team of players that are becoming old crocks. They don't have many playing years left and may lack the desire that they once had.

But, it's the ashes and they should be up for embarrassing the pommies in front of their own supporters

I think everyone's being far too harsh on England, that they met a man on a mission, a real legend! Murali must have been very angry at the run-out.

Our two guiding lights were injured in bat: Pietersen and Flintoff.

This has told us that our back-up is not quite ready yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566