England v Sri Lanka 3rd test

Status
Not open for further replies.
PFKAKTF FOX said:
Yes it has, I was criticising the batting, at the same time highlighting the glaring weaknesses in the bowling department, sorry for any confusion !!
We only had Harmison missing from the bowling really. You could argue that Giles would be in front of Monty, but neither are world class bowlers. Quite simply not good enough, we do not have 1 world class bowler, our best bowlers are very good, but not world class

1614: WICKET ENGLAND 132-7 Jones 6
The Muralitharan doosra does the trick again, turning the opposite way to a traditional off-break and bowling Jones to make it seven out of seven. You have to fancy his chances of the magical 10 now with Hoggard, Lewis and Panesar to come.

Melton Fox said:
We only had Harmison missing from the bowling really. You could argue that Giles would be in front of Monty, but neither are world class bowlers. Quite simply not good enough, we do not have 1 world class bowler, our best bowlers are very good, but not world class

Don't agree with you there Melts, we are missing Harmison, Jones and Giles who are 3 front line bowlers. Whilst Giles is certainly not world class, he is an experienced and wily test match performer, he is also a more than useful lower order batsman.

The whole balance of the side has looked wrong in this series, the batting is littered with too many stroke makers in the top five, four of which I would class as flair players, we have desperately missed Vaughan's ability to come in and anchor the innings, and IMO Collingwood is batting too low down the order to play that type of role.

Last edited:
PFKAKTF FOX said:
Don't agree with you there Melts, we are missing Harmison, Jones and Giles who are 3 front line bowlers. Whilst Giles is certainly not world class, he is an experienced and wily test match performer, he is also a more than useful lower order batsman.

The whole balance of the side has looked wrong in this series, the batting is littered with too many stroke makers in the top five, four of which I would class as flair players, we have desperately missed Vaughan's ability to come in and anchor the innings, and IMO Collingwood is batting too low down the order to play that type of role.
Forgot about Jones, we have missed him. But we are basically agreeing about Giles, better than Monty, but not world class.

Also agree with Collingwood playing higher up the order, but where would he fit in. Drop Cook and bring in another all rounder to bat lower down?, but I don't know enough about the county scene to know who is available.

Melton Fox said:
Forgot about Jones, we have missed him. But we are basically agreeing about Giles, better than Monty, but not world class.

Also agree with Collingwood playing higher up the order, but where would he fit in. Drop Cook and bring in another all rounder to bat lower down?, but I don't know enough about the county scene to know who is available.

Based on the current line up leave Cook in at No 3 move Colingwood to No 4 and then have Pieterson at No 5 and Freddie at No 6.

When Vaughan does return it would be as a replacement for either Cook or Collingwood.

IMO No's 3 and No's 4 should be the two batsmen who stabilise the innings, the cornerstone, players capable of holding down one end. Then allowing Flintoff and KP licence to play their naturally attacking game.

PFKAKTF FOX said:
Based on the current line up leave Cook in at No 3 move Colingwood to No 4 and then have Pieterson at No 5 and Freddie at No 6.

When Vaughan does return it would be as a replacement for either Cook or Collingwood.

IMO No's 3 and No's 4 should be the two batsmen who stabilise the innings, the cornerstone, players capable of holding down one end. Then allowing Flintoff and KP licence to play their naturally attacking game.
Yep

187/9. Monty - 25 n.o. He's just hit Murali for 6!!!!

unfortunately it was that one man that killed us.

fcukcov said:
unfortunately it was that one man that killed us.
1 vs 11, ridiculous aint it. Just goes to show the quality of that one man compared to the quality of the 11.

I wasn't a fluke, true reflection of the game really

nice to see sri lanka put up a great match :038: .

if you want to watch real batters, wasim jaffer and rahul dravid aka the wall at the crease. on ss1 its lunch though at the moment till 5.40 pm.

Very disappointing game from England. Having Sri Lanka at 139 for 8 in the 1st innings, and then to lose by 130 odd runs is pathetic. I can accept we are without 3 or 4 key players, but the team don't look anywhere near motivated enough playing against the smaller nation. I expect there will be a big improvment for the next test series, after all they won't want to be dropped for the Ashes series in Australia.

Brauny Blue said:
Very disappointing game from England. Having Sri Lanka at 139 for 8 in the 1st innings, and then to lose by 130 odd runs is pathetic. I can accept we are without 3 or 4 key players, but the team don't look anywhere near motivated enough playing against the smaller nation. I expect there will be a big improvment for the next test series, after all they won't want to be dropped for the Ashes series in Australia.
Well that's what they should have been fighting for today, not just the next series. I really would have hoped to see a bit more backbone and enthusiasm. Maybe they are guilty of turning into football type celebrities after the Ashes win :102:

Melton Fox said:

No, no, no. We have 5 front-line batsmen and Freddy. Another all-rounder would seriously weaken the team. The batsmen who are there have proven they can make centuries at test level, what you are suggesting harks back to the old bits and pieces cricketer who couldn't make centuries and couldn't take wickets.

It's not the current batsmen's talent that was the problem in this series but motivation and Murali. They need a kick up the backside and remidning that Ed Joyce, Rob Key and Ian Bell would be more than happy to take their places.

If Vaughan isn't back I'd keep the 6 as they are but drop Geraint for Chris Read.

As for Monty I disagree that Giles is better. A better all-round cricketer yes, but Monty has bowled far more threatingly than the King of Spain did and looks like taking wickets all the time. It's a judgement call and at present I would pick Giles - just- because of his batting and catching

PFKAKTF FOX said:
Fecking disgrace, typical England batting performance from yesteryear, we desperately need to get our better players back and quickly. This test has highlighted the fact that at present our bowling attack when you take Hoggy and Freddie out the equation is powder puff and our batting has been shambolic in both innings.

This test has proven that Jon Lewis is a country trundler who should never have been picked for a test - but I suspect that's why they picked him. He was never going to go to Australia this winter. Ever. In a million years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566