Enzo Maresca - Leicester City Manager

I find it so embarrassing for us as a fanbase, that Enzo still feels the need to say this ahead of our 8th game, when we've won 6 out of 7:

Asked if he had a message for Leicester supporters, Maresca said: "To be patient, because I can understand that sometimes they prefer to be more straight, direct and long ball. But it is not the way we want to play.

"Sometimes if we see that playing direct we can create chances and be dangerous, then yes. But it's not our identity and not our style, so the only thing I can say is make an effort to understand the way we want to play and to continue with that. because we need them.

"And for sure if they are patient we are going to reach our target."

I find it so embarrassing for us as a fanbase, that Enzo still feels the need to say this ahead of our 8th game, when we've won 6 out of 7:

Asked if he had a message for Leicester supporters, Maresca said: "To be patient, because I can understand that sometimes they prefer to be more straight, direct and long ball. But it is not the way we want to play.

"Sometimes if we see that playing direct we can create chances and be dangerous, then yes. But it's not our identity and not our style, so the only thing I can say is make an effort to understand the way we want to play and to continue with that. because we need them.

Completely agree

ahead of our 8th game, when we've won 6 out of 7:
He has won 6 out of seven and that shows that the system is working well with the calibre of players we have.

Just imagine, if he'd lost 6 out of the first 7 ! Why, he'd be kept on as manager until March - and then when we were bottom of the table he'd decide to go "by mutual agreement" like the last manager.

That’s simply because the home crowd that is full of complete and utter ****wits screaming at them to ‘lump it up‘ and ‘get rid of it’ when we are just patiently playing our game

Bet they all much prefer playing away than in front of our own ****tard home fans

That’s simply because the home crowd that is full of complete and utter ****wits screaming at them to ‘lump it up‘ and ‘get rid of it’ when we are just patiently playing our game

Bet they all much prefer playing away than in front of our own ****tard home fans
Full of miserable old bastards, that ground.

It's good management. Better to say something like this before the game, than to criticise the fans afterwards.

I like that he's actually saying things, rather than the clichéd soundbites of Bodgers.

I am really warming to Enzo.
Like everyone, I was unsure on how things would work out with him. He doesn't have a previous record that we can analyse, only the knowledge that he's worked with Pep.

IMO, he's coming over as very passionate (he is Italian) about the football style and very determined to see it happen. Our previous manager thought that he had a style but didn't have a clue on how to have the players doing it.

Of course, all the players love him and the style - they are paid to say that. We (well, some of us) like him - we're winning with class, so all is very good and better than many expected BUT didn't we all rave about our previous manager when he started here?

I like what he's doing and the positivity he's brought. He seems so very professional in what he's doing (not like our previous manager). I like him a lot - until next year when we go 4 games without a win and we're all saying that he's a fraud.

Until then, Yes To Enzo.

It's good management. Better to say something like this before the game, than to criticise the fans afterwards.

I like that he's actually saying things, rather than the clichéd soundbites of Bodgers.
Compare what he said to how the last **** would have said it. After a game that we had lost he would have said, “and the fans were negative towards the players which cost us”.

That's such an idiotic comment. It's also not at all my experience at the home matches this season.

I've watched every game we've played this season and, for the first time in many years, I'm jealous of our away fans. Until life got in the way, I'd go to just about every game. I haven't been to an away league game for about twenty years but I'm pretty certain that I'll be doing so this season. Hopefully, you can see that as a reflection of how well I think EM has got us playing in those matches.

I've attended all three home matches and they've all been really dull. We had strong spells of about 20 minutes at best across each one. The rest was borderline unwatchable in my opinion. I'm not blaming EM for this as yet because he needs time to work it out. It's clear that most teams will come to our place to frustrate us. EM needs to work out how to get on top of an opponent early at home but he hasn't done so to date.

I've seen loads of fans be patient in those three matches. An overwhelming majority in fact are supportive. I've not expressed one bit of negativity in any of them either. There has been frustration at our lack of creativitity and poor officiating but very little of what you describe.

Our home fans can be quiet when they want the team to entertain them before they get off their feet. You can argue that we should be more proactive but it's human nature and most other grounds are the same. There is also the added factor of the way the club treat fans at the KP. It's dreadful a lot of the time and I think fans are well within their rights to be subdued by oppressive music and police/stewards filming and staring at them waiting for the slightest reason to pounce.

I don’t find it embarrassing because he’s talking about performances rather than results.

Although we managed to grind out 4 wins in the first 5 games, I don’t think we necessarily deserved to.

It has started to click the last 2 games, however. But even still I feel we’re nowhere near the level he wants to get us at, which is cause for optimism, but also requires patience, like he said.

This is the kind of thing good manager can do. Making training feel like anything but a chore is always going to be helpful in building a spirit in the team. There'll be the usual moany bastards along soon I expect, to find fault with this but good teams are made of good bonds and this is the kind of daft ****erboutary that creates those bonds.

Hamza getting smashed in the head is my favourite.

Vardy nearly missed

I know it's easy to start criticising after a bad run of results, but recent performances have strengthened some concerns. For the record, I was excited about Maresca's appointment and felt his ambition and being accustomed to successful environments would be positive for us.

The problem as I see it, is that Maresca is a paint-by-numbers type of manager. The analytics say, to play out from the back, so he does. The analytics say that 'low risk - low reward' football leads to a better goal difference over time, so he does that. Fine, I understand the maths and it seems like a valid approach.

However, he doesn't seem prepared for the fact that, especially when you buy the cheaper kits you never have enough paint, you always end up running out of one colour or another.

An intelligent manager will realise that he can mix other paints to get close to the colour he wants. Give the players some different instructions to try and compensate for what they are lacking.

A creative manager will just paint the grass red, because why the hell not, since when was art about following instructions? Adapt the style of play to what you have, be bold, different and beautiful.

There is still time for Maresca to show his intelligence and/or creativity but at the moment he is leaving large areas unpainted, and opponents are taking advantage.

I know it's easy to start criticising after a bad run of results, but recent performances have strengthened some concerns. For the record, I was excited about Maresca's appointment and felt his ambition and being accustomed to successful environments would be positive for us.

The problem as I see it, is that Maresca is a paint-by-numbers type of manager. The analytics say, to play out from the back, so he does. The analytics say that 'low risk - low reward' football leads to a better goal difference over time, so he does that. Fine, I understand the maths and it seems like a valid approach.

However, he doesn't seem prepared for the fact that, especially when you buy the cheaper kits you never have enough paint, you always end up running out of one colour or another.

An intelligent manager will realise that he can mix other paints to get close to the colour he wants. Give the players some different instructions to try and compensate for what they are lacking.

A creative manager will just paint the grass red, because why the hell not, since when was art about following instructions? Adapt the style of play to what you have, be bold, different and beautiful.

There is still time for Maresca to show his intelligence and/or creativity but at the moment he is leaving large areas unpainted, and opponents are taking advantage.

A quality post this. It conjures memories of watching Watercolour Challenge whilst off one's tree. I know what to mean, and perhaps with more experience he will become more experimental with his art. Time will tell.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4389
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4469
8Middlesbro4566
9Coventry City4464
10Preston 4463