Game 3 - Spandane Ballet - 1945

Status
Not open for further replies.
Technically should be a very winnable one tonight, these lost to Roman Town quite heavily last week and we know how bad they were

What I'm about to post isn't a dig at anyone in particular, and I don't want you to think I am having a go at you Harry but we need to sort out our substitutions big time. Some of the decisions today were baffling, and I appreciate it is a thankless task.

We need to decide if we are going to make substitutions based on everyone getting their fair share of minutes, or on what is best for the team to try and win a game, or in tonights case salvage some pride.

What I'm about to post isn't a dig at anyone in particular, and I don't want you to think I am having a go at you Harry but we need to sort out our substitutions big time. Some of the decisions today were baffling, and I appreciate it is a thankless task.

We need to decide if we are going to make substitutions based on everyone getting their fair share of minutes, or on what is best for the team to try and win a game, or in tonights case salvage some pride.

In what sense of the word? Name some. I have to toe the line between giving everyone a fair amount of time and try and win a game. It's feckin hard work.

I don't want to take Paul and Jon at the same time because that gives hardly any mobility. I want to give Jon as much time as possible. I don't want to be neglecting myself or you Matt. I get told to do every 5 minutes and then get told not to bother. I opened up the floor and it seemed everyone wanted a fair crack of the whip with subs every 5 minutes and then the feedback at get down there is let's try and win the game and keep everyone on.

It gets even harder and any pre-planning is out of the window if a) a player gets injured b) a player goes off through own decision and c) the ref forgots the 5 minutes. I had planned to go after 10 minutes last night but we had a injury and then we had an inballance. It meant I kept Drew on (who IMO was playing extremely well first half) for a good percentage of it. It's only fair - I am attempting a balancing act after all.

Then once I know the game is out of our reach I attempt to give everyone enough time. Hence the switch with 4 minutes left. It's hard work at the same time attempting to play - provide some kind of vocal support to help everyone out and then think of subs at the same time.

You can't do five minute subs, simple as.

There are lots of differing factors and influences that change a game, and a good Manager, ie Harry, will work around these instead of sticking to a pre determined plan that ALWAYS goes differently to how you imagine.

If a player is banging in goals, or making vital challenges at the back, why take him off just so a big fat out of breath player can stay on!!!

Harry, I think you are right, and also right in that it is a thankless task. You have to play to your strenths and weaknesses, but you also have to acknowledge that it's a team, and everybody has paid the same amount of money to play. Difficult.

In what sense of the word? Name some. I have to toe the line between giving everyone a fair amount of time and try and win a game. It's feckin hard work.

I don't want to take Paul and Jon at the same time because that gives hardly any mobility. I want to give Jon as much time as possible. I don't want to be neglecting myself or you Matt. I get told to do every 5 minutes and then get told not to bother. I opened up the floor and it seemed everyone wanted a fair crack of the whip with subs every 5 minutes and then the feedback at get down there is let's try and win the game and keep everyone on.

It gets even harder and any pre-planning is out of the window if a) a player gets injured b) a player goes off through own decision and c) the ref forgots the 5 minutes. I had planned to go after 10 minutes last night but we had a injury and then we had an inballance. It meant I kept Drew on (who IMO was playing extremely well first half) for a good percentage of it. It's only fair - I am attempting a balancing act after all.

Then once I know the game is out of our reach I attempt to give everyone enough time. Hence the switch with 4 minutes left. It's hard work at the same time attempting to play - provide some kind of vocal support to help everyone out and then think of subs at the same time.

Fair enough, like I said I understand it's a thankless task and apologies if I was out of line with the post last night, I think I was just very angry at losing, as I do think we shot ourselves in the foot with the general performance from anyone, maybe we just had a bad game.

You can't do five minute subs, simple as.

There are lots of differing factors and influences that change a game, and a good Manager, ie Harry, will work around these instead of sticking to a pre determined plan that ALWAYS goes differently to how you imagine.

If a player is banging in goals, or making vital challenges at the back, why take him off just so a big fat out of breath player can stay on!!!

Harry, I think you are right, and also right in that it is a thankless task. You have to play to your strenths and weaknesses, but you also have to acknowledge that it's a team, and everybody has paid the same amount of money to play. Difficult.

Couldn’t agree more, when im managing it is with people I consider to be very good friends but I have to make decisions and sometime that may mean a sub not even coming during a game, whilst I understand 11v 11 is different the same principles need to be taken across to five aside, don’t make changes for the sake of it and don’t change a winning/going well team it will only end in madness.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669