Gay Footballers

Status
Not open for further replies.

tedfoxxx

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21479520

As Clarke Carlise says in the article, lets hope he didn't feel he had to leave the game because he couldn't keep his secret any longer.

I know the rational, well educated folks on this forum won't think any worse of footballers for coming out, but what do we think the feeling in general would be?

The only only other openly gay footballer in europe is a Swedish lower league player called Anton Hysen.
http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...W-3IE4&usg=AFQjCNGMqYA0WlgpE_bq3NTXHVEiAcsasw

They'd be scorned by most home fans, slaughtered by all away fans, ridiculed continuously by neutral fans and hounded by the media

I suspect that closet is mighty full

He has a funny name for it though. As homer said, the media would be as bad. He'd be referred to every tome as "gay footballer Rogers has today..."

They'd be scorned by most home fans, slaughtered by all away fans, ridiculed continuously by neutral fans and hounded by the media

I don't think the vast majority of fans will actually be that bothered, but like with racism in the modern game, its the morons that shout loudest.

Last edited:
Could our Swede friend perhaps enlighten us as to what the Swedish media and fans make of Hysen?

Yep. If it was me I wouldn't bother either. Look at Graeme Le Saux; he wasn't even gay and he took a shedload of abuse for it.

Christ, the calibre of specimen you see at a football ground today can barely string three intelligent words together let alone come to terms with a homosexual sportsman.

Could our Swede friend perhaps enlighten us as to what the Swedish media and fans make of Hysen?

Generally speaking, people in Sweden take pride in being liberal and open-minded - that goes for the media too. And I think homosexuality is not the elephant in the room anymore, you can joke about it without fearing that you will be labelled a homophobe (as long as you don't actually mean to offend someone, of course).

The terraces, of course, are lagging behind there, and there are probably a larger proportion of genuine homophobes there than elsewhere, but my impression is that these voices are drowned out and their influence on society in general is very limited. But I'm not gay so it's only an outsider's perspective.

As for footballers and homosexuality, I don't think Hysén is the best example (sadly, it's the only we got!), because he is not primarily famous for being a football player. He won Strictly Come Dancing after he came out and is now a celebrity because of that. It might be different for someone like Zlatan, who is playing at the top level.

But the reaction to Hysén's coming out has been overwhelmingly positive.

Last edited:
It might be different for someone like Zlatan, who is playing at the top level.

He would karate kick the homophobes.

'Are you gay?'.............'No, I am Zlatan.'

It'd be best if they all came out on the same day, that way the Mail readers would be so swamped with indignation they would all self-combust.

It'd be best if they all came out on the same day, that way the Mail readers would be so swamped with indignation they would all self-combust.

Sky would cover it like the transfer window - "Super Gay Day".

Seriously, like the vast majority of people, I view sexuality as just another feature of every unique individual. I know people personally and professionally who are gay and treat them no differently to straight people (starting to sound like the "I've got loads of black friends" reasoning!). I would do exactly the same in my treatment (non-treatment) of a gay footballer, but share the view that the minority typically shout the loudest. In truth, it shouldn't even be a consideration - everybody should be able to be as open or a secretive as they want about their private life, but that is unfortunately not the case and, as has been mentioned, the press would label any gay footballers as such, making it their defining feature.

Considering the gay/straight ratio is something like 1 in 8 men there must be shitloads of gay footballers.Unfortunately in a profession where its not actually necessary to grow up you're not likely to be given much of a chance to reveal it.
I still remember Justin Fashanu coming out & saying he wouldn't have felt comfortable doing it earlier due to the reaction he'd have got from team mates.The reason I remember it so well is pretty much down to his brother,the ever likeable John,saying he understood as he wouldn't have felt comfortable having queers in the dressing room! Obviously John was as much of a **** off the field as he was on it.
Someone else mentioned Graeme Le Saux.From what I remember the gay rumours about him were largely based on him having a university degree,preferring to read a broadsheet & having no interest in spit roasting glamour models in the team hotel.If that level of maturity is still the norm in the game I don't suppose we'll be seeing any mass comings out any time soon.

I don't understand why we would expect people to come out, never have. I wouldn't expect people go come out and say they prefer to be choked to orgasm or any other sexual practice that wasn't considered 'normal'.

I don't understand why we would expect people to come out, never have. I wouldn't expect people go come out and say they prefer to be choked to orgasm or any other sexual practice that wasn't considered 'normal'.

Nothing to do with expectation really.It just should be an option.Also being gay is a little different to anything else you might not want to reveal as it involves a large part of your identity.Unlike enjoying being tied up & whipped with a wet fish,which you'd probably be unlikely to want to be public knowledge regardless of whether you preferred men or women to be doing it.

I can only come these days by ****ing a transvestite wrapped in cling-film while choking myself with a leather belt. I always make sure they're wearing make-up and women's underwear though, so it's not really gay

I can only come these days by ****ing a transvestite wrapped in cling-film while choking myself with a leather belt. I always make sure they're wearing make-up and women's underwear though, so it's not really gay

Will you be standing as a Tory candidate at the next election?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Ipswich4492
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4569
8Middlesbro4566