Global warming - what global warming

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Ozone layer depleats at a rate of about 4% per decade, make of that what you will.
So in 10 years time it will by 96% of what it is today?
Cool, in which case in 100 years it will be 66.48% of what it is today and when it loses the 4% for the decade it will only lose 2.66% in real terms.
So the situation is improving....

The warmest year recorded globally was...1998, which is strange because I thought global warming was getting worse?

The warmest year recorded globally was...1998, which is strange because I thought global warming was getting worse?

That's why no-one talks about global warming any more. It's all about climate change now.

The ten warmest years on record have occurred since 1997. Global temperatures for 2000-2008 now stand almost 0.2 degrees C warmer than the average for the decade 1990-1999.

Last edited:
The ten warmest years on record have occurred since 1997. Global temperatures for 2000-2008 now stand almost 0.2 degrees C warmer than the average for the decade 1990-1999.

But surely if "we" are having such a damaging affect on the climate then surely the global temperature for any year in the 00s should be higher then 1998?

But surely if "we" are having such a damaging affect on the climate then surely the global temperature for any year in the 00s should be higher then 1998?

It doesn't work like that. Temperatures change from year to year, the trend is more important than a single year.

The same thing happens in football.

Think of 1998's temperatures as being the Watford match two years ago. For the rest of the season we were crap, but people pointed to the Watford match as a reason why we weren't really crap, despite all the evidence of the downward trend. The Watford match was a blip, so was 1998.

The ten warmest years occurring since 1997 seems pretty good evidence to me. Beneath the underlying warming, temperature fluctuates from year to year as a result of natural variations, the most important of which is the variability of equatorial sea-surface temperatures in the Pacific that lead to La Nina and El Nino events. Most years since 1997 would have been considered warm, even compared to the 1970's and 1980's. Compared to the temperatures our Victorian forbears would have experienced they would be considered scorchers.

Last edited:
The ten warmest years occurring since 1997 seems pretty good evidence to me. Beneath the underlying warming, temperature fluctuates from year to year as a result of natural variations, the most important of which is the variability of equatorial sea-surface temperatures in the Pacific that lead to La Nina and El Nino events. Most years since 1997 would have been considered warm, even compared to the 1970's and 1980's. Compared to the temperatures our Victorian forbears would have experienced they would be considered scorchers.

You can always guarantee wasting a good couple of hours arguing with you about climate change. Its like a red rag to a bull.

I was merely pointing out that if climate change is getting worse and the human population is growing and we are burning more fossil fuels, why havent we had a hotter year than 1998?

1998 might have been a "blip" but there must have been a reason for it and if it wasnt mankind then it must have been something else that made it the hottest on record, which would suggest that it isnt just mankind that is accountable for climate change.

I would also like to point out that if next year is the warmest recorded it will be used as proof that climate change is happening. Nobody will say it is just a blip.

1998 might have been a "blip" but there must have been a reason for it and if it wasnt mankind then it must have been something else that made it the hottest on record, which would suggest that it isnt just mankind that is accountable for climate change.

Of course it's not just mankind that has an effect on the climate, I don't think anyone has been stupid enough to claim that. But the scientific evidence is that we are having an effect on the climate.

I would also like to point out that if next year is the warmest recorded it will be used as proof that climate change is happening. Nobody will say it is just a blip.

I'm sure there will be people who try to use it as evidence, and there will be others who will call it a blip. But those with any sense will continue to look at the overall trend and not just one year.

You can always guarantee wasting a good couple of hours arguing with you about climate change. Its like a red rag to a bull.

I was merely pointing out that if climate change is getting worse and the human population is growing and we are burning more fossil fuels, why havent we had a hotter year than 1998?

If you are not actually going to read and try to understand my posts then you are either a] stupid or b] just being stupid for the fun of it. Can you not get your head around the fact that the ten hottest years on record ( since they started being kept in 1850 ) have happened since 1997. The climate is hotter, that is a fact. We can all have a discussion as to what is actually causing the earth to warm up, but it has warmed up.

This article claims that El Nino was the cause of higher temperatures, not the reverse.

http://www.worldclimatereport.com/index.php/2009/11/09/another-normal-year-for-us-temperatures/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669