Global warming - what global warming

Status
Not open for further replies.
There was an 'expert' on the radio earlier saying that 98% of the temperature is down to the sun (no shit sherlock....) and we could only ever influence the other 2%.
And he was from the start weaving tofu dungarees for disabled Eritrean lesbians side of it too.

Last edited:
There was an 'expert' on the radio earlier saying that 98% of the temperature is down to the sun (no shit sherlock....) and we could only ever influence the other 2%.

That's a very simplistic way of looking at it.

The problem is not the heat that's being created, it's the way (according to most scientists) the atmosphere is changing to stop the heat from the earth escaping into space.

Has anyone been watching the Stephen Fry series Last Chance to See? It seems in our eagerness for these healthy bio-fuels we are cutting down vast swathes of more rainforest to create space to plant Palm Nut trees for their oils for the bio-fuel, and actually the net CO2 is a lot worse that if we left the trees standing and used fossil fuels.

Also does nobody else find it staggeringly arrogant that humans think they are able to affect something as vast and unmanageable as the weather cycles of an entire planet?

Has anyone been watching the Stephen Fry series Last Chance to See? It seems in our eagerness for these healthy bio-fuels we are cutting down vast swathes of more rainforest to create space to plant Palm Nut trees for their oils for the bio-fuel, and actually the net CO2 is a lot worse that if we left the trees standing and used fossil fuels.

Also does nobody else find it staggeringly arrogant that humans think they are able to affect something as vast and unmanageable as the weather cycles of an entire planet?

It is not really. It more the fact that without any other form of reference as humans we are likely to express the world around us in terms we understand. Ourselves.

Naturally this will propagate itself into scientific thinking in much the same way as it permeates all other forms of human thought. :icon_wink

Like Jeff I can not understand this argument. We could blow the whole thing up by pushing a button, why wouldn't we be able to change other things?
I would say it's very arrogant to think that we can not do that.

This is a truly weird argument. It boils down to believing either in some particularly cranky God-like Gaia theory that the world's weather is intrinsically and perpetually self correcting, or that weather is somehow uniquely immune from physical laws.

This is a truly weird argument. It boils down to believing either in some particularly cranky God-like Gaia theory that the world's weather is intrinsically and perpetually self correcting, or that weather is somehow uniquely immune from physical laws.

I just think that the planets entire weather system that has been managing to overcome solar flares etc in the past will be able to cope with anything we are currently throwing at it. I'm not saying we aren't having any effect, I just think it is a minimal one.

the public are morons, they watch X factor

I just think that the planets entire weather system that has been managing to overcome solar flares etc in the past will be able to cope with anything we are currently throwing at it. I'm not saying we aren't having any effect, I just think it is a minimal one.

overcoming solar flares?

they're 93 million miles away :)

it didnt manage very well when the asteroid hit and wiped out most of the life on earth

they are nigh on 7 billion people on the planet and it's increasing, every aspect of the planet is shaped towards feeding us and keeping us happy, we're entering a new man-made era of extinction

we are very capable of affecting the weather

a minimal one? the ozone layer has gone!

The Ozone layer depleats at a rate of about 4% per decade, make of that what you will.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669