'Hello mum, this is going to be hard for you to read ...'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steven

The whole Remembrance Day experience is in my opinion in danger of being oversold. For the cynical amongst you like me, we are beginning to tune out the noise surrounding the whole event and resenting in some way the manner in which we all have to show our grieving or even thoughtfulness about those that fought and died in the past in such a public way.

To those cynics like me I suggest you read the letters in this article, especially the last one. If you are not moved to sadness or to shed a small tear then even if you have misgivings about the war in Afghanistan like I do, do not participate in Remembrance Day next year. Think of the people that send him there and that fight against him. Think of the Cyrus' of this world every day.

'Hello mum, this is going to be hard for you to read ...'

when I think of Cyprus, I think Larnaca

definitely not Ayia Napa

not been to the north though, anyone been?

Fair point Indie, however, we're not talking to his family, we're on an Internet forum, it's what people do ... humourous banter, completely harmless and not intended to cause any offence to his family who, I suspect, have probably never heard of Talking Balls.

Fair point Indie, however, we're not talking to his family, we're on an Internet forum, it's what people do ... humourous banter, completely harmless and not intended to cause any offence to his family who, I suspect, have probably never heard of Talking Balls.

True, I just don't find taking the piss out of dead people to be particularly funny to be honest, especially when it's obvious from those letters that he might not have been very well educated, but he was at least trying to do something meaningful with his life - but I suppose it is hilarious to sit behind a keyboard slagging off someone who was willing to fly across the world and fight for his country - Haha! He can't spell, what a ****ing idiot! And he's got a stupid name! LOL! Why is it that people think it's ok to act like complete ****s and try and justify it under the blanket term 'banter'?

This isn't a personal attack on you, just the attitude of some people in general. I don't agree with our military operations abroad, I don't particularly see the need for the annual token gesture of putting 10p in a charity box, wearing a poppy and remebering the dead for 2 minutes before promptly forgetting about them for the rest of the year, but I think if someone is willing to fight and lay down their life for the country they live in, they deserve respect, not mockery.

Last edited:

:018: humorous

True, I just don't find taking the piss out of dead people to be particularly funny to be honest, especially when it's obvious from those letters that he might not have been very well educated, but he was at least trying to do something meaningful with his life - but I suppose it is hilarious to sit behind a keyboard slagging off someone who was willing to fly across the world and fight for his country - Haha! He can't spell, what a ****ing idiot! And he's got a stupid name! LOL! Why is it that people think it's ok to act like complete ****s and try and justify it under the blanket term 'banter'?

This isn't a personal attack on you, just the attitude of some people in general. I don't agree with our military operations abroad, I don't particularly see the need for the annual token gesture of putting 10p in a charity box, wearing a poppy and remebering the dead for 2 minutes before promptly forgetting about them for the rest of the year, but I think if someone is willing to fight and lay down their life for the country they live in, they deserve respect, not mockery.

To be fair, I think the comments were a bit tongue-in-cheek and none were meant to actually take the piss out of the lad. I think Rhydal was just connecting the thread with the current TB theme (I may be wrong).

Whilst the Rememberance day "experience" may be getting more elaborate each year, I think it is right to do so. With less old folk to go on about "when they were in the war", and less people entering the armed services, the media is stepping in to make sure we do not forget the sacrifices that people have and do make every day while we go on with our every day lives.

Another sad indictment of the standard of humor displayed on here these days.

When people use the internet/forum argument to excuse purely offensive and totally distasteful comments i honestly think It's quite pathetic.

Another sad indictment of the standard of humor displayed on here these days.

When people use the internet/forum argument to excuse purely offensive and totally distasteful comments i honestly think It's quite pathetic.

Seriously Lako, are you going to be doing this on every single thread on the forum? You seem to delight in telling everybody, at every available opportunity, about how nobody has any kind of sense of humour that could possibly meet your standards and how things used to be so much better back in the good old days.
Why do you even bother posting here if we're all so ****ing useless and pathetic? Why don't you go and get all of the sand removed from your vagina instead of telling everybody how superior you are?
Unless you just enjoy bitching and moaning of course.

Seriously Lako, are you going to be doing this on every single thread on the forum? You seem to delight in telling everybody, at every available opportunity, about how nobody has any kind of sense of humour that could possibly meet your standards and how things used to be so much better back in the good old days.
Why do you even bother posting here if we're all so ****ing useless and pathetic? Why don't you go and get all of the sand removed from your vagina instead of telling everybody how superior you are?
Unless you just enjoy bitching and moaning of course.

And here's Macky with another well timed exaggerated response, The answer to your ridiculous question is obviously no, just the particular threads that require it.

If it has upset you that I find the responses to this thread distasteful and not in the slightest bit amusing then I suggest it is you that needs to go and grow a pair, in fact it is you who seems to want to play internets policemen at every opportunity not me.

Now crawl back into your drug infested cave and give it a rest.

Rememberence Day is a different priority for different people (for some it even has a different meaning!). For those of us that have served in the British armed services and have witnessed or experienced the loss of colleagues and friends, it is a notable day to remember and acknowledge their sacrifice and their loss as sailors, soldiers and airmen. I suspect for loved ones of the lost its something else and for those relatively untouched by loss it will be something else again.

I remember my lost friends as just that my friends, most days, I think of them whenever I open my wardrobe and see my mess dress and Number 1's hanging there, when ever their is a nother casualty reported in Afghanistan, and obviously when I am shit-faced and morbid. Rememberence Day is the day when everyone else can join me if they like, but I understand if they don't like.

Rememberence Day is a different priority for different people (for some it even has a different meaning!). For those of us that have served in the British armed services and have witnessed or experienced the loss of colleagues and friends, it is a notable day to remember and acknowledge their sacrifice and their loss as sailors, soldiers and airmen. I suspect for loved ones of the lost its something else and for those relatively untouched by loss it will be something else again.

I remember my lost friends as just that my friends, most days, I think of them whenever I open my wardrobe and see my mess dress and Number 1's hanging there, when ever their is a nother casualty reported in Afghanistan, and obviously when I am shit-faced and morbid. Rememberence Day is the day when everyone else can join me if they like, but I understand if they don't like.

Exactly!!

To be fair, I think the comments were a bit tongue-in-cheek and none were meant to actually take the piss out of the lad. I think Rhydal was just connecting the thread with the current TB theme (I may be wrong).

Not wrong at all. In fact more than that, I was in part relating to a tv programme that was on a while back which demonstrated that the vast majority of the American armed forces are of below average education, and from deprived areas doing the dirty work of their money grabbing 'superiors'. I use the word 'superiors' in its loosest form when referring to Blair, Bush etc.

I was also trying to show my disdain at the fact Steven was trying to portray a pseudo-caring side by making the post in the first place. I'm growing tired of all the chain e-mail/Facebook statuses which are doing the same.

I'd like to think that my two grandparents who fought in WWII, one of whom built the Mulberrys whilst in the Royal Engineers in France from D+2 on, and the other who developed skin cancer whilst serving in Burma which eventually did for him, did so to give me the abililty me to have freedom of expression.

Not wrong at all. In fact more than that, I was in part relating to a tv programme that was on a while back which demonstrated that the vast majority of the American armed forces are of below average education, and from deprived areas doing the dirty work of their money grabbing 'superiors'. I use the word 'superiors' in its loosest form when referring to Blair, Bush etc.

I must admit that when I read through the linked article, the first thing I thought was "terrible spelling". The second was "I would never use a swear word in front of my parents, let alone the 'f' word", and the third thing was "how sad it is that people from the 'lower' ends of society are choosing to join the Forces as they see it as the only aspirational career option for them, and how sad it is that society doesn't give them more options".

Now I shall await the snide comments, and possibly even some abuse for holding such views.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669