'Hello mum, this is going to be hard for you to read ...'

Status
Not open for further replies.
"how sad it is that people from the 'lower' ends of society are choosing to join the Forces as they see it as the only aspirational career option for them, and how sad it is that society doesn't give them more options".

I've that held that opinion for a while and that's why it saddened me so much at the time when the muslim extremists decided to protest in front of them. I know of more than a couple of lads who went to serve because they would get so much more out of it all than sitting on their backside.

The most offensive nonsense in this whole thread:

The whole Remembrance Day experience is in my opinion in danger of being oversold. For the cynical amongst you like me, we are beginning to tune out the noise surrounding the whole event and resenting in some way the manner in which we all have to show our grieving or even thoughtfulness about those that fought and died in the past in such a public way.

I Don't know anyone who has died for this country, I'v never met anyone who fought in either world war. So i'll be honest i find it hard to know what to think about during the silences, i have no personal emotional attachment.

I have been to a couple of funerals for people i'v only ever met once or twice. Once because my family were expected to be there, and another time to support a friend. On both occasions i had no personal feelings, no grief. But for the sake of those who were heartbroken and mourning i wasn't going to tell anybody that. Instead i tried as best i could to offer my condolences. And i am sure that most people would be respectful in the same circumstances.

I can only imagine how some people must feel, those who have lost loved ones, those whose sons and daughters lives are currently on the line somewhere in the world, and i only hope that my being respectful and keeping the silence and not selfishly saying i don't care provides those people with an oppertunity to unite and deal with their emotions how they see fit. I think they deserve that.

Last edited:
"how sad it is that people from the 'lower' ends of society are choosing to join the Forces as they see it as the only aspirational career option for them, and how sad it is that society doesn't give them more options".

Thats a big question to ask, and I expect everyone will have an opinion.

I think that saying the armed forces is that last resort, or the only option, is wrong. I grew up in a 'lower' end environment, as did most of the people that I went to school with. I can count the people who I know that joined the forced on one hand. Two of those always wanted to do it due to their family history, another joined after trying a couple of other jobs.

If anything, I think it should be promoted more.

so...war kills people eh?

any news about bears in woods? or maybe the pope?

so...war kills people eh?

any news about bears in woods? or maybe the pope?

This thread isn't about the fact that war kills people, it's about the cretins who have no respect for the dead.

how about the undead?

I think there are some valid points on here about this forum.

I can count myself (reasonably) lucky in that my spelling and grammar is reasonable. I just don't see the need for the constant picking up of other posters mis-keying or lack of skill in conveying their point in an articulate manner.

If (all) people can do is to spend their time pointing out other people's so called inadequacies then as my grandma used to say ''if you have nothing constructive to say then say nothing at all''.

Anyone who uses text speak should be abused within an inch of their lives though.

It is also somewhat distasteful taking the piss out of ex-service men and women.

If anything, I think it should be promoted more.

No. It absolutely should not be promoted in any way whatsoever. The idea of promoting a job where young kids are killed, maimed, traumatised for life or just reduced to human soup is nauseating, especially when they are doing that job for the profit of politicians who couldn't give a **** about them or their families.

It's a job that they should be encouraged to never take up.

I think there are some valid points on here about this forum.

I can count myself (reasonably) lucky in that my spelling and grammar is reasonable. I just don't see the need for the constant picking up of other posters mis-keying or lack of skill in conveying their point in an articulate manner.

If (all) people can do is to spend their time pointing out other people's so called inadequacies then as my grandma used to say ''if you have nothing constructive to say then say nothing at all''.

Anyone who uses text speak should be abused within an inch of their lives though.

It is also somewhat distasteful taking the piss out of ex-service men and women.

Wrong thread CF? :102:

I think you are in danger of taring all Military job roles with the same brush here, there are some extremely fulfilling careers to be had the armed forces, not only canon fodder positions that people seem to think of.

I think you are in danger of taring all Military job roles with the same brush here, there are some extremely fulfilling careers to be had the armed forces, not only canon fodder positions that people seem to think of.

If you are a part of a machine that conducts illegal wars for profit and is responsible for the deaths of millions of innocent people and destroys the lives of many millions more, that alone will scar you mentally for the rest of your life. Unless you are a psychopath, of course

If you are a part of a machine that conducts illegal wars for profit and is responsible for the deaths of millions of innocent people and destroys the lives of many millions more, that alone will scar you mentally for the rest of your life. Unless you are a psychopath, of course

Being part of an organisation responsible for many aid relief missions and peace keeping situations must also be extremely rewarding.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669