Hume

Status
Not open for further replies.
Two thirds of the goals have come just four games. :icon_conf

So what, every striker hits form at some point. No coincidence that a bit of stability and non Megson football is helping him score.

I think Hume is the type of player you need when you're fighting relegation. At least you know he's going to go down fighting till the last whistle blow. Fulham would benefit more than Everton IMO from signing him.

john is only on loan and the way he has played lately i wouldnt extend that so id say hume would be 1st choice as he is the only striker scoring at the minute

He'll be knocked straight back down the order when Another Striker comes in. I would perosnally extend John's loan. He's the best striker we have atm, whether he's been hitting the net or not.

Lets just hope Holloway isn't swayed by fans' opinions when it comes to team selection or the likes of Fryatt/new right winger will end up on the bench to accomodate for him.

He'll be knocked straight back down the order when Another Striker comes in. I would perosnally extend John's loan. He's the best striker we have atm, whether he's been hitting the net or not.

Just out of interest, what exactly is it that makes you say John is the best striker. A strikers primary job is to stick the ball in the net, something which John looks almost incapable of doing in any situation. The two 1 on 1 chances he missed against Wolves were tragic efforts just hit straight at the keeper, that doesn't suggest he is the striker you make him out to be.

:023:

But if they go down will they keep them all or will some of them want to stay at a prem club on prm money :102:

Their need is now, not next season. McBride will be gone at the end of this season come what may, and there is serious doubt whether he will recover from his current injury. Bouazza is a wide player rather than a striker. They are more likely to be after a big central striker (Kuqi's loan will end shortly) than another run-around shorty when they have Healey.

Whole thing sounds unlikely.

I don't think Hume is anything special but he is, in my opinion, our best attacking player. Fryatt looks like a forward and we keep talking about his potential - but unfortunately I don't see a 'potential column' in the league table.

Hume is replaceable - but I'm not at all sure that it would be a good idea to let him go if it can be avoided. I remain sceptical about whether we will be able to bring in better players than Hume in January and we mustn't allow a win on Boxing Day to blur the reality of our position.

And yes - I can see Fulham being interested in him - he would make a decent squad player for them. How many other players do we have who would make even that level at a prem club? - Kisnorbo, possibly; Clemence; I doubt it now; Fulop - very likely.

Just out of interest, what exactly is it that makes you say John is the best striker. A strikers primary job is to stick the ball in the net, something which John looks almost incapable of doing in any situation. The two 1 on 1 chances he missed against Wolves were tragic efforts just hit straight at the keeper, that doesn't suggest he is the striker you make him out to be.

He did miss a few against Wolves Lako, but if you look at his strike rate, two goals in four matches, he's better than the rest of the strikers we have. And he's had injury problems so isn't as sharp as he could be at present.

The fact that our strikers are not finding the back of the net as often as we would like is not entirely their fault. We do not create enough going forward in open play. I agree that John should have at least put one of the chances against Wolves away but at least he is creating space and making the chances. Soon enough the ball will start hitting the back of the net.

I do like Hume and think he is an asset to this team but I also think is vastly overated by the fans as well. He gave the ball away on the halfway line against Ipswich with a terrible pass under no pressure, he tackled back and put the ball out for a throw in and the crowd went wild. 'Huuuuuummmme!' was the call from the stands...why? he didnt do anything out of the ordinary or outstanding, anyone else would have got ripped apart for giving the ball away like he did regardless of whether they won the ball back.

At the end of the day, If we can get a decent bit of money for him, which can help to bring in a decent creative midfielder and two good wingers, then we will start scoring goals and climb the table. I will swap Hume for that any day of the week. We're in the bottom half of the table in a trite league and no one can be labelled as indespensible.

I might have more faith in John eventually "coming good" if his performance in front of goal at Wolves was not typical of the last two seasons at Fulham. I watched that game in a pub full of Fulham fans and they were in no hurry to have him back despite their current plight.

i think if fulham bid it will be with a swap for collins john plus 500k?

Last edited:
I would'nt swap Hume for John the man has shown nothing for us..... a couple of tap-ins that my granny could have put away, inclined to get lost in games and in one to one situations loses his nerve inclined to snatch at the ball gets caught in two minds easily in confrontation

In saying that though Hume is not the player I thought he could be for us .....but we do not play to his strength which is running on to a ball at his feet not effective enough in midfield and inclined to run about like a headless chicken..... maybe he would be a lot better with Wingers in the side or the age-old remedy of a classy midfielder.

i think if fulham bid it will be with a swap for collins john plus 500k?

Is this based on a thorough analysis, inside information, you are a mystic or have you plucked a random number straight out of your brain?

does anyone have a suggestion based on one of the first three?

I'm a mystic but my powers to divine the truths of this world are hampered by the full moon.

I'm a mystic but my powers to divine the truths of this world are hampered by the full moon.

You too huh? I find you can counter the effects of the moon by wearing alumium foil on your ears and tossing a fuitcake over your left shoulder. :icon_roll

Is this based on a thorough analysis, inside information, you are a mystic or have you plucked a random number straight out of your brain?

does anyone have a suggestion based on one of the first three?

It's waning gibbous at the moment so you should be okay.
Trust your intuition & just pull numbers out of your arse, everybody else does.

It's waning gibbous at the moment so you should be okay.
Trust your intuition & just pull numbers out of your arse, everybody else does.

I pull mine out of a hat. :icon_conf

The fact that our strikers are not finding the back of the net as often as we would like is not entirely their fault. We do not create enough going forward in open play. I agree that John should have at least put one of the chances against Wolves away but at least he is creating space and making the chances. Soon enough the ball will start hitting the back of the net.

I do like Hume and think he is an asset to this team but I also think is vastly overated by the fans as well. He gave the ball away on the halfway line against Ipswich with a terrible pass under no pressure, he tackled back and put the ball out for a throw in and the crowd went wild. 'Huuuuuummmme!' was the call from the stands...why? he didnt do anything out of the ordinary or outstanding, anyone else would have got ripped apart for giving the ball away like he did regardless of whether they won the ball back.

At the end of the day, If we can get a decent bit of money for him, which can help to bring in a decent creative midfielder and two good wingers, then we will start scoring goals and climb the table. I will swap Hume for that any day of the week. We're in the bottom half of the table in a trite league and no one can be labelled as indespensible.

Spot on. His adulation by a section of fans is extraordinary. At one point on Boxing Day he played a pass out wide, 2 yards behind Stearman and the idiot behind me gave the verbals to Stearman, unbelievable.

Hume is a decent squad player at this level. He will be out of his depth in the Prem, so if anybody is willing to part with silly money for him we should take it and buy a couple of decent midfielders/wingers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669