If you hate Holloway - read this

Status
Not open for further replies.
I realise I should not be trying to make serious points on such a stupid thread. However, what does LCFC94 think will come from his idea. Milan will no doubt feel he needs to apologise to the Blackpool staff and to Ian Holloway. Those people who worked with Ian Holloway who from what I gather thought him a good man will squirm with embarrassment - this will probably include Howard, Oakley and maybe Fryatt. Football supporters already have a reputation for being mindless and filthy mouthed; this will only reinforce it.

If they never played how are those players responisble for the relegation? :102:

They're not - but making signings like that suggest a man who hasn't the first idea what he's doing.

Not saying MA isn't partly responisble, though for me all he is really responisble for is wasting money

Clemence, Newton, Headless, Cort, Hayes, Kaebi, Hellings, Nielsen, Kishishev, and Sappleton. That's ten completely worthless players. That's a lot of money wasted on massive contracts.

Ollie still ****ed up a side that was never looking like being near relegation.

Again, no. With the exception of an anomaly or two, the side always looked like struggling.

I think our squad of players was far from the worst 3 in the division, which points to bad management on Ollie's part imo.

Bad management yes, there's not much doubt there. But you really think we had a strong squad? Bruno N'Gotty started 30 league games. Gareth McAuley started 43. Not signs of a strong squad.

I realise I should not be trying to make serious points on such a stupid thread. However, what does LCFC94 think will come from his idea. Milan will no doubt feel he needs to apologise to the Blackpool staff and to Ian Holloway. Those people who worked with Ian Holloway who from what I gather thought him a good man will squirm with embarrassment - this will probably include Howard, Oakley and maybe Fryatt. Football supporters already have a reputation for being mindless and filthy mouthed; this will only reinforce it.

LCFC94 will no doubt be looking forward to going back to school on Monday and being called a complete knob. By his teachers.

They're not - but making signings like that suggest a man who hasn't the first idea what he's doing.

I never said we wouldn't have gone down under MA. That is irrelevant to the conversation, which is that Ollie is more to blame than MA for us going down.

Clemence, Newton, Headless, Cort, Hayes, Kaebi, Hellings, Nielsen, Kishishev, and Sappleton. That's ten completely worthless players. That's a lot of money wasted on massive contracts.

Only Clemence was a first team regular from those, Cort and Hayes played a fair bit but were hardly first choice. I agree, he wasted a lot of money, but again, if the players did not play how are they responsible for the relegation?

Again, no. With the exception of an anomaly or two, the side always looked like struggling.

Struggling? Yes. Relegation? Never.

Bad management yes, there's not much doubt there. But you really think we had a strong squad? Bruno N'Gotty started 30 league games. Gareth McAuley started 43. Not signs of a strong squad.

:icon_lol: You're arguing against yourself there. :icon_wink That's just proving my point about how neither of those had anything to do with MA and it was Ollie who kept playing them, when he had a chance to replace them.

We had the second best defence in the league, and you only have to look at how much the likes of Howard, Fryatt and Oakley have improved under NP to see what a useless fecker Ollie was, whether NP plays them more to their strengths or they fit NPs style more, or NP is a better motivator, or whatever, the same conclusion can be drawn: Ollie couldn't get shit out his players, he was an awful, awful manager, not as bad as Taylor, but among the 3 worst managers in our history, and I can't understand why people defend him and say he was just trying his hardest, or it was MA's fault etc. (Though I do agree Milan should take some of the flack for it too)

Honestly, I think Craig Levein is more to blame than MA, it was him who started the rot and the fans' negative attitude after all.

Last edited:
I don't hate Holloway, we'd been tinkering near the trapdoor for 3 years before IH came on board.

As a club City have come out stronger, and the best way to deal with IH and Blackpool is to give them a footballing lesson, 3 -0 Leicester.

As for the mask idea, I might not be Brad Pitt, but an IH mask is not an improvement, so I will decline your very kind offer.

I will also put it forward that our 4-1 defeat of Watford under MA was by far and away the best we played that season.

Only Clemence was a first team regular from those, Cort and Hayes played a fair bit but were hardly first choice. I agree, he wasted a lot of money, but again, if the players did not play how are they responsible for the relegation?

I refer you to my previous response to the same question :icon_wink

Struggling? Yes. Relegation? Never.

An optimistic Leicester fan - a rare breed.

You're arguing against yourself there.

Not really - if Gareth McAuley was our best defender, then Martin Allen's job in that summer, surely, was to strengthen the squad immensely. He did the opposite.

Ollie couldn't get shit out his players, he was an awful, awful manager, not as bad as Taylor, but among the 3 worst managers in our history

No argument from me, I just think Allen is a better candidate for slot number two.

and I can't understand why people defend him

I don't think many people are defending him.

(Though I do agree Milan should take some of the flack for it too)

Most. That season proved that the king of the lunatics was Milan Mandaric.

Honestly, I think Craig Levein is more to blame than MA, it was him who started the rot and the fans' negative attitude after all.

Charlie Reid did a lot wrong, I agree. But not as much as Martin Allen.

I will also put it forward that our 4-1 defeat of Watford under MA was by far and away the best we played that season.

And the half at Forest arguably the worst. Except Preston at home.

And Sheffield Wednesday at home. And Sheffield United at home. And Coventry away. And Burnley at home. And Hull away.

Profundo Rosso is arguing sensibly although I disagree with much of what he says. However, the original point by LCFC94 was not intended to be sensible. LCFC94 is advocating wearing a stupid mask with an obscenity on it. I cannot see how that can not be bad mannered. Since Ian Holloway is not allowed to use an obscenity back I can not see how that is not cowardly.

I refer you to my previous response to the same question :icon_wink

And I'll refer to my answer to your previous response

Not really - if Gareth McAuley was our best defender, then Martin Allen's job in that summer, surely, was to strengthen the squad immensely. He did the opposite.

Our defence was great that season, the second best record in the division, the problem was all the strikeforce, dunno how you blame the defence one bit. Besides, it was as much Ollie's job to strenghten the squad in January, as it was MA's in August. Moreso given he actually had a chance to assess where the squad was at against the rest of the division in competitive games.

And besides, we had one defeat in our first 4 games under MA, and under Megson we had 2 defeats in 9 games, under Ollie we had 15 defeats in 32 games. He was incompetant, MA, Megson and NP (for the one's who were left over - again Fryatt, Oakley, Howard etc.) all had better records with the players than he did.

No argument from me, I just think Allen is a better candidate for slot number two.

But why :102: As far as I can see you keep just citing buying players who never played, which is irrelevant, and because he didn't strengthen well enough in August, and saying that has more relevance than Ollie not strengthening in January when we were in 18th place. I'm not saying MA is a great manager, or would have turned out to be a great manager, but how is he more responsible for the relegation than Ollie, or a worse manager in Leicester's history than Ollie?

Last edited:
Anyway, interest discussion, BM, but I gotta go now, so I won't be replying to anything you say now, or not til tomorrow evening anyhow. :icon_wink

And I'll refer to my answer to your previous response

That one could go round in circles all night :icon_bigg

Our defence was great that season, the second best record in the division

Was it? Or was it the fact that the side was in such a mess that we constantly had ten men behind the ball out of fear of conceding goals? Gareth McAuley - not meaning to leap off the fence here - was shit. His distribution was comical at the best of times, his leadership was nonexistent, and his defending was panicky. Yet he played nearly every game. Fair comment - the attackers didn't do their job, but don't try and tell me you were confident with N'Gotty and McAuley at the back :102:

we had one defeat in our first 4 games under MA, and under Megson we had 2 defeats in 9 games, under Ollie we had 15 defeats in 32 games. He was incompetant, MA, Megson and NP (for the one's who were left over - again Fryatt, Oakley, Howard etc.) all had better records with the players than he did.

Allen and Megson didn't exactly have extended runs with the team though did they?

But why :102: As far as I can see you keep just citing buying players who never played, which is irrelevant, and because he didn't strengthen well enough in August, and saying that has more relevance than Ollie not strengthening in January when we were in 18th place. I'm not saying MA is a great manager, or would have turned out to be a great manager, but how is he more responsible for the relegation than Ollie, or a worse manager in Leicester's history than Ollie?

How is signing a barrage of shit players irrelevant? Surely bringing in ten utterly horrible footballers and leaving most of them to rot in the reserves served, at very best, to destroy the atmosphere around the team? I'd say Allen is at least equally responsible given that he had most time to prepare for the season, he had a couple of months to settle in and get to know the team before his first game in charge, and instead he just signed a new dud on average every fifteen seconds. This left anyone succeeding him a massive task to get the team on the right track. No, Holloway will not go down as City's greatest manager ever, but surely - surely - Allen has something to do with the situation we found ourselves in?

Milan made the mistake of hiring him and giving him funds to sign people. Holloway never did anything through malice, the bloke was just out of his depth and all of the media attention he drew on himself gave him the chance to give the press what they wanted and be all funny and quotable.

The guy isn't a twat, just not a very good manager.

Well said. :038:

I thought Hollowway was funny so as a compromise we could wear masks of Ian Holloway with the word funny written on it.

And false breasts. And we could all carry rubber chickens and 2 foot long black rubber dildos and we could beat each other to death with them whilst chanting the word

'rey.....leeee......gayyyy...chun......rey....leeee.....gaayyyy...chun"

Twenty five thousand dildo induced deaths should make even the most thick skinned footballing failure take notice. If that doesn't he'll definitely be interested in the rubber chickens.

If anyone can provide rubber chickens, false breasts, Holloway masks and two foot black rubber dildos for under a fiver then put Macky down for one and me down for thirty thousand. There's a good twenty quids worth of gear there, I'll make a fortune.

I might put this idea forward for the next series of Dragon's Den. They'll ****in love me.

Since Ian Holloway is not allowed to use an obscenity back I can not see how that is not cowardly.

Not necessarily taking a contrary view, but are you suggesting that when the crowd en-masse have a go at Dennis Wise or Neil Warnock they are being cowardly?

Is he going to produce a prototype mask first?

and how much are they again?

The job of rebuilding a squad for promotion on the cheap doesn't seem an easy one. Reinvigorating the academy - yeah, I can live with that.

But still. Hamill. For ****s sake.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670