It's MIKE NEWELL

Status
Not open for further replies.
RN Fox said:
Here we go........it is beginning to unfold and expect further news tomorrow. As I said all along this won't be rushed. Mike Newell is a stubborn character and it will go as he wishes so not to tarnish the reputation of this young manager. In my opinion the softly softly approach is good for him and LCFC but the fans have been through hell with all these other dodgy prospects like Holloway being thrown in the pot.

Further news from you, or from more official sources?

RN Fox said:
Here we go........it is beginning to unfold and expect further news tomorrow. As I said all along this won't be rushed. Mike Newell is a stubborn character and it will go as he wishes so not to tarnish the reputation of this young manager. In my opinion the softly softly approach is good for him and LCFC but the fans have been through hell with all these other dodgy prospects like Holloway being thrown in the pot.

Not to mention Peter Taylor, Graham Taylor and that old fella from Notts County - jeez, what a bunch of hapless honkaronkies.

Interesting that all of Newell's staff are ex luton Players:

Manager: Mike Newell
Coach: Brian Stein
Coach: Marvin Johnson

Does this mean that his staff will come as well or will Stein stay as Luton manager and Rob Kelly stay and work alongside Newell?

I would hope RK is involved in some way initially if nothing else so that there is some stability and continuation for the young players. Plus it will take a few weeks for a new manager to assess the squad and someone like RK can help that process for MN.

(all assuming Newell actually is coming.....)

Dunc said:
Interesting that all of Newell's staff are ex luton Players:

Manager: Mike Newell
Coach: Brian Stein
Coach: Marvin Johnson

Does this mean that his staff will come as well or will Stein stay as Luton manager and Rob Kelly stay and work alongside Newell?

I would hope RK is involved in some way initially if nothing else so that there is some stability and continuation for the young players. Plus it will take a few weeks for a new manager to assess the squad and someone like RK can help that process for MN.

(all assuming Newell actually is coming.....)

I think it's been stated that neither of his backroom team are that keen on coming here but will do. (I think)

I'm sure kelly will be kept on.

Not often new managers keep the old coaching team. I suspect he would want to bring in his own men. May be wrong, but tha's what most seem to do.

That's tough on RK and MS. I do wonder how the relationship worked between him and CL. He was a board appointment wasnt he>, Somewhat forced on CL.

Re the relationship between RK and CL, I have it on good authority that RK considers CL to be the most arrogant sh*t he has ever worked with.

Duzza said:
and what of CL? Back at Hearts by the end of the month???

No way he will work with Romanov who is now picking the team apparently

Duzza said:
I agree, just wondered what others thought really.

He'll get a job in the SPL just a matter of waiting until someone is sacked or moves on.i think some on here would rather see him asking for any spare change on Edinburgh Waverley Station:icon_roll

Last edited:
highland fox said:
He'll get a job in the SPL just a matter of waiting until someone is sacked or moves on.i think some on here would rather see him asking for any spare change on Edinburgh Waverley Station:icon_roll

I agree, I'm sure he will do a good job up there too. I think his little foray down here has put paid to the career in England he wanted though.

Duzza said:
I agree, I'm sure he will do a good job up there too. I think his little foray down here has put paid to the career in England he wanted though.

I don't know perhaps if he took a job in our Div1 and gained some expierience he could still prove himself here,he is only young in Managerial terms.Hope he does well anyway.

highland fox said:
I don't know perhaps if he took a job in our Div1 and gained some expierience he could still prove himself here.

i hope he's realised that it's best if he went directly to a div 1 club, rather than via championship :icon_wink

Last edited:
No.6 Muzzy Izzet... said:
i hope he's realised that it's best if he went directly to a div 1 club, rather than via championship :icon_wink

I'm sure people would disagree but I think he'd actually make a pretty good fist of another job at this level or Div 1.

He's biggest mistake when he came down here was underestimating the standard of the Championship and how different it is to Scotland, but also not employing someone with experience of this division and English 1st team football.

RK was ideal as the man to know the up and coming young players (Hume, McCarthy, Fryatt, Smith, Taylor etc) but not in terms of knowledge of the ins and outs of the league. If CL had gone the route of keeping a Bassett type on board in some capacity then he might have been more successful.

I think that with the experience he has picked up, and the knowledge of the English game he must have picked up over the past 18 months it should stand him in good stead to hit the ground running at the next job he gets.

Maybe if he got rid of Houston and brought in a bit of a rabble rouser to work with him he might get a bit more passion as well.

Dunc said:
He's biggest mistake when he came down here was underestimating the standard of the Championship and how different it is to Scotland, but also not employing someone with experience of this division and English 1st team football.

i agree dunc :)

highland fox said:
No way he will work with Romanov who is now picking the team apparently

Yeah, Levein would need assurances that someone else would be doing the tactics and motivating the players before he would consider another job in football :icon_wink

(NB this was a joke...before people get arsey with me)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669