Speculation Jermaine Beckford

Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally can't see it happening. Everton have got several out injured, and they've not made any signings during pre-season. Beckford could find himself starting every week this season.

Personally can't see it happening. Everton have got several out injured, and they've not made any signings during pre-season. Beckford could find himself starting every week this season.

For a team that is 'buying the league' we don't seem to be doing a very good job, there must be some goalscorers available who will move to the Championship for a mega deal?

For a team that is 'buying the league' we don't seem to be doing a very good job, there must be some goalscorers available who will move to the Championship for a mega deal?

We won't be held to ransom which is good, if we don't get promoted, we need to be reasonably sustainable

We won't be held to ransom which is good, if we don't get promoted, we need to be reasonably sustainable

I was not being serious, maybe I should have used a smilie? The first two league games have shown we still don't have enough goal threat and if we don't fix that promotion is a dream. We may not be held to ransom but I am not convinced that our Thai friends will hang around for ever if the premier league doesn't look like happening, they have a plan which involves a club at the top level and whilst chucking money at the club at present a fruitless season or 2 may dampen their interest.

I'm suprised we've not started looking for strikers from overseas yet.

Sven seems to be keen to sign players who have experience of this league, or at least are used to English football... which is obviously a good thing. I think the need for an additional striker and the fact that we're running out of players to look at might mean he has to look elsewhere though.

I'm suprised we've not started looking for strikers from overseas yet.

We've been linked with players overseas, underseas and players Sven has never heard of. Fact is there's a lot of mindless speculation and I doubt many (other than superscout) have any idea who is on Sven's list of players.

Yakubu, Uchechi now Beckford.

Surely David Moyes will give us a striker out of sympathy if nothing else:icon_roll

...we need to be reasonably sustainable

I believe that train departed the platform when Mandaric arrived.

It's currently heading towards a broken bridge, laden with TNT and with the tortured soul of football tied to the tracks.

The first two league games have shown we still don't have enough goal threat and if we don't fix that promotion is a dream. We may not be held to ransom but I am not convinced that our Thai friends will hang around for ever if the premier league doesn't look like happening, they have a plan which involves a club at the top level and whilst chucking money at the club at present a fruitless season or 2 may dampen their interest.

I think that's about right. For obvious reasons getting a decent goal scorer was always going to be much more difficult than filling the books with defenders and mid fielders - especially those who were out of contract or even out of the game. I think it's a pity that Sven didn't concentrate on solving the striker problem as the first priority (along with signing a goal keeper - which he successfully did).

Sven talks a great game but basically since the end of February results have been poor. I understand that its absurdly early to take a view on how this season is going to pan out - but my gut instincts are not that good.

I think that's about right. For obvious reasons getting a decent goal scorer was always going to be much more difficult than filling the books with defenders and mid fielders - especially those who were out of contract or even out of the game. I think it's a pity that Sven didn't concentrate on solving the striker problem as the first priority (along with signing a goal keeper - which he successfully did).

Sven talks a great game but basically since the end of February results have been poor. I understand that its absurdly early to take a view on how this season is going to pan out - but my gut instincts are not that good.

I'm sure we will have a better idea after tomorrow night. Struggle to break Bristol City down and we know we've got problems. They look like relegation fodder this season.

I'm sure we will have a better idea after tomorrow night. Struggle to break Bristol City down and we know we've got problems. They look like relegation fodder this season.

I thought that was our problem last season in that we didn't know how to break teams down, we need to get the ball forward much quicker instead if making 10 passes before we even reach the halfway line

We scored plenty of goals last season but let in far too many. The fact that the defence and midfield needed shoring up was obvious and a higher priority. What cost us against Reading was the formation and tactics, not the players in the team (though performances weren't overly great)

We scored plenty of goals last season but let in far too many. The fact that the defence and midfield needed shoring up was obvious and a higher priority. What cost us against Reading was the formation and tactics, not the players in the team (though performances weren't overly great)

I can see the point you are making - and of course goalkeeping was a big problem. However, a lot of our goals came from Yakubu and Andy King and one has gone and King doesnt seem to be a first choice.

As Durham says, tomorrow night will give us a better idea of our prospects in knocking over the weaker sides. To be honest I always thought that Reading would be difficult. Partly because they are well organised and would be well up for it and partly because I think we have over-hyped ourselves and been talked up.....to take a fall. Let's hope that a decent win over Bristol City will make my post look like a big over-reaction.

I would really like this to happen, althought it most likely won't. I think he would be good in this league

I can see the point you are making - and of course goalkeeping was a big problem. However, a lot of our goals came from Yakubu and Andy King and one has gone and King doesnt seem to be a first choice.

As Durham says, tomorrow night will give us a better idea of our prospects in knocking over the weaker sides. To be honest I always thought that Reading would be difficult. Partly because they are well organised and would be well up for it and partly because I think we have over-hyped ourselves and been talked up.....to take a fall. Let's hope that a decent win over Bristol City will make my post look like a big over-reaction.

As I said earlier in the thread, we rarely got our midfield in behind the well organised Reading midfield in the first half, and I think this could be our biggest issue this season. In the second half King appeared to open up the game although once Reading scored and went back to two lines of 4, we struggled once again. The 4-5-1 / 4-3-3 formation does not help the issue.

As I said earlier in the thread, we rarely got our midfield in behind the well organised Reading midfield in the first half, and I think this could be our biggest issue this season. In the second half King appeared to open up the game although once Reading scored and went back to two lines of 4, we struggled once again. The 4-5-1 / 4-3-3 formation does not help the issue.

Sven should know what he's up to in terms of formation and my understanding is that 4-4-2 is now largely written off as outdated.....but although I didn't see the game on Saturday - and in fact am unlikely to get down to games until towards the end of September - my understanding is that we were extremely narrow in shape and I never think that looks good nor effective especially for a home team that is looking to attack.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669