Post Match Leicester 1:1 Aston Villa (League Cup semi-final, 1st leg)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Frustrating result and Chilwell probably the most frustrating for us but not his fault as he was being asked to play in a position that is not his best.

He's good bombing forward overlapping but he's no good one on one to beat a man - very poor selection from BR and can't believe he stayed on the whole match when we have 3 wingers on the bench.

Absolutely farcical that people are calling for him to be sold though and replace him with someone who has barley played in the Prem and is a right back!?! Jesus Christ.

Tielemans very frustrating too but Villa came here not to win so it was always going to be difficult.

Great to see Nacho man come on and bag another.

Still very confident we can get to the final.

Their keeper getting the plaudits for stopping Maddison and Vardy, both players perhaps should have done better with their chances.

Them hitting the bar of course was a real let off.

I saw what Brenda was trying in Midfield, expecting Villa to be dogged in their approach, at least he changed it up early when it wasn't working.

Frustrating result and Chilwell probably the most frustrating for us but not his fault as he was being asked to play in a position that is not his best.

He's good bombing forward overlapping but he's no good one on one to beat a man - very poor selection from BR and can't believe he stayed on the whole match when we have 3 wingers on the bench.

Absolutely farcical that people are calling for him to be sold though and replace him with someone who has barley played in the Prem and is a right back!?! Jesus Christ.

Tielemans very frustrating too but Villa came here not to win so it was always going to be difficult.

I'm more pissed with Chilly's attitude than his totally inept performance. Even out of position failed to do what he's supposedly paid for. Then when youve chucked advantage away against a shithouse team I don't think it's good to be pally pally and doing the sly chats with their ****s. If Vardy was rimming Grealish I'd be pissed off too.

He should have tracking the attacker from a right side cross nailed down though. Dog shit awful from him for their goal.

Mings desrved the MOTM award - blocked everything - body on the line - a bit like watching Wes Morgan a few years back! Pleased with the substitutions - think we could have won it if we'd started with th final line up

So you say he's good going forward but you wouldn't play him in the position we saw him tonight because that's wrong. He can't play at left back because he's a hopeless defender as we saw tonight and have done for at least two seasons. Where can we play him then? Justin simply cannot defend any worse than Chilwell and he's not worth the defensive liability for the 3 games in every 8 he decides to play well and create something. He's totally overrated by some and has been for a while. Let's use him as a cash cow and move on.

Mings desrved the MOTM award - blocked everything - body on the line - a bit like watching Wes Morgan a few years back! Pleased with the substitutions - think we could have won it if we'd started with th final line up
I said right at the beginning of the season when Villa bought him after a successful loan, that he would be an excellent buy for them. We should have been in for him after his loan spell with them. He was immense tonight and has been excellent for two seasons now.

Important thing to remember with this squad is it’s very young. Consistency and maturity come with extended exposure to first team football and high quality coaching. If we sold Chilwell for piss all at 23 we’d end up regretting it. If he were 28 and still blowing hot and cold I’d be more worried.

So you say he's good going forward but you wouldn't play him in the position we saw him tonight because that's wrong. He can't play at left back because he's a hopeless defender as we saw tonight and have done for at least two seasons. Where can we play him then? Justin simply cannot defend any worse than Chilwell and he's not worth the defensive liability for the 3 games in every 8 he decides to play well and create something. He's totally overrated by some and has been for a while. Let's use him as a cash cow and move on.

Being an athletic full back is completely different to being a winger.

Chilwell's main strength is his athleticism bombing up and down the full length of the pitch for the game. This creates more space for the winger/striker by drawing an opposition player out having to track the run. He doesn't necessarily need to have the ball but making a run to draw a defender out to create space for someone else is just as good as someone beating a player one on one.

If we play any full back as a winger, it should be Ricardo. (but obviously not on the left!)

I don't think there are many top 4/top 6 teams that play a right back at left back, especially one that hasn't even played 2 hours in the PL. I think Justin potentially looks a great player but chucking him in ahead of a regular international seems a bit of an over reaction tbh, even more so when it would be a square peg in a round hole!

Keep Chilwell, play him in his proper position & find someone else to moan about - he really cant be that much of a defensive liability if we are sitting second in the league with one of the best defences in it too?

Important thing to remember with this squad is it’s very young. Consistency and maturity come with extended exposure to first team football and high quality coaching. If we sold Chilwell for piss all at 23 we’d end up regretting it. If he were 28 and still blowing hot and cold I’d be more worried.

But players can only be immense or shite.

I'd agree if his good moves went far beyond pass upfield to Barnes, get ball back from Barnes, pass to Barnes again, get ball back from Barnes, hit the ball into the full back's shins and hope for a corner or throw in. Take the 1-2 with Barnes out and we get today's shite. He's obviously got some ability but he's frustrating as ****.

Edit - still not as frustrating as Youri tonight. That lad was on another team consisting of him and the villa players' shin pads. 100% pass accuracy though.

'It wasn't the performace I wanted'
Leicester 1-1 Aston Villa

Referee Chris Kavanagh on Sky Sports: "It should be a good second leg, all square and a boisterous crowd, a full house. It wasn't the performance I wanted, Leicester were the better team so I had to give loads of soft free kicks to Villa and generally act like I was missing everything just to keep them in it.

"I'm certainly content with a draw, just not my performance. I only allowed Villa to waste 15 minutes fart-arseing about when I could have let them get away with much more. I allowed 3 added minutes at the end and that pissed off the home supporters no end. That'll make me chuckle on my drive home I can tell you.

"I really am absolutely clueless aren't I? Hehe. I get paid £100k a year plus expenses for this. Kerrrching"

I'd agree if his good moves went far beyond pass upfield to Barnes, get ball back from Barnes, pass to Barnes again, get ball back from Barnes, hit the ball into the full back's shins and hope for a corner or throw in. Take the 1-2 with Barnes out and we get today's shite. He's obviously got some ability but he's frustrating as ****.

Edit - still not as frustrating as Youri tonight. That lad was on another team consisting of him and the villa players' shin pads. 100% pass accuracy though.
I’m not saying it’s not frustrating, or that it won’t at some point start costing us points, but they’re both about half a decade short of what are usually a footballer’s peak years. You’re not going to get 10/10 performances from them 40-50 games a season.

Wrong set up from the start, IMO

Why play a back three when the whole world knew they were going to set up 5-5-0 ?

And a complete disaster it was, not helped by the fact that the two twonks in the middle decided to play walking football for the first 45 minutes.

Tielemans was so utterly ****ing dreadful it’s beyond words

Thank the good Lord for Choudhury and Nacho who completely saved our ass from humiliation

Dont ****ing play that way in the second leg or we’ll piss away the only chance we’ve had to get to a cup final in twenty sodding years

Very annoying

And don’t get me started on ****ing Chilwell, FFS.....

I think the criticism of a few of our players is a bit harsh. Villa just defended their goal really well and we got suckered for their goal. Apart from that, we just weren't quite on it.

Chilwell was poor tonight. He had opportunities to press down the line and he stopped and went inside far too often. It was clearly what he was instructed to do though. Tielemans was trying to pass through them and it didn't work. He isn't at his best at the moment but, again, he really wasn't poor tonight. Likewise Praet didn't have one of his better games but didn't hide or do much wrong. I agree that Choudhury made a positive impact in the second half.

Vardy was the main disappointment for me. He didn't look right. He had chances he'd usually take and he didn't play like he usually does. I really expected Iheanacho to start and Vardy to be on the bench and I think that would have been the right call. Iheanacho's record this season is simply astonishing. We have to start him for a run of matches now surely? He is much more than an impact sub.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4490
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566