Post Match Leicester 2 Watford 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Journalists seem finally to have dug out the record for English top flight football and not since football was invented in 92. Surprisingly the record is only one more than RVN - 11 by Stan Mortensen. Unfortunately that game for Vardy could be against a team who haven't conceded in 5!

Journalists seem finally to have dug out the record for English top flight football and not since football was invented in 92. Surprisingly the record is only one more than RVN - 11 by Stan Mortensen. Unfortunately that game for Vardy could be against a team who haven't conceded in 5!

Well, they are due to concede then...

Poor first half, thought Watford looked ok without really threatening. Ighalo will keep them up though, looked a real half decent player.

Second half we came out the traps so fast and Watford couldn't handle it, we were brilliant. Okazaki made a big difference and delighted for Kante to get his first goal, he's been awesome since he came here.
It was a strange situation where Mahrez was booed by the crowd for not giving Vardy the pen and then caving in at the final moment. Fair play to him though, a great gesture and of course great for Vards to continue the run.

Yet again I shall walk in grinning like a Cheshire cat on Monday morning, magnificent.

Sent from my HTC One mini 2 using Tapatalk

This felt like a big big win. Huge. My elation during and immediately after in the pub and still today would say that it was.

I'm not sure if it's the fact we yet again beat a team that is in form and on a good run, or that we won a game despite not being at our best in the first half (the mark of a top team), or found a way to change it and surprise a good opposing manager, or watching a great midfield and a very good defensive performance despite the pen or that Vardy, despite all the focus and pressure piled on him this week, managed to seal the game with that run and first touch.

I guess a combination of all of that and many many more postives coming from our club. Great times!

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

That's Mr Gwilliam's job. He usually spends a day or two considering his verdict before posting.

I was interested to see Deeney. I had hoped we would sign him in the summer in order that Homer would write about Troy.

Most people around me were disappointed when Shinji came on. The general feeling was that Leonardo should have been preferred. Certainly I would have felt more secure defending the lead if Leonardo had been there to add some height.

Mr Flores has a frustrating job. He spent his time on the touchline shouting out instructions to a Watford team that totally ignored him. At one point he got quite worked up with his team but not one member of the Watford XI even turned toward him .

The Leicester dugout is rather dull these days; wrapped in Great Caesar's air of benevolence. An error by the linesman brought out a mild gesture of exasperation from Caesar. He later complained to the fourth official and then gave him a hug. The way Italian males like to hug people must be very confusing to Mike Stowell. My guess is that Mr Stowell regards hugging as an MMA submission move. .

Gareth McCauley sent off at Old Trafford when conceding a soft pen ///// Gomez attempts a manslaughter move on our Jamie and sees out the 90 minutes. Oh well, my last laugh is still echoing round my sick bed.

I've been away all weekend and only just seen highlights, how on earth did he stay on the pitch? he really cleaned him out.

I've been away all weekend and only just seen highlights, how on earth did he stay on the pitch? he really cleaned him out.

I would suggest that the referee was considering the 'preventing a goal scoring opportunity' aspect of the incident rather than 'dangerous play'.

how on earth did he stay on the pitch? he really cleaned him out.

'preventing a goal scoring opportunity' aspect of the incident rather than 'dangerous play'.

Gomes deliberately blocked him off . Nothing dangerous there compared to studs up challenges or leg breaking tackles. Clumsy albeit deliberate and JV wasn't running in directly on goal. A yellow was right IMO.

Gomes deliberately blocked him off . Nothing dangerous there compared to studs up challenges or leg breaking tackles. Clumsy albeit deliberate and JV wasn't running in directly on goal. A yellow was right IMO.
Yep.

Had he not been taken out it was a clear open goal for Vardy from the resulting angle - red card every day of the week for me, stunningly poor decision from the ref.

It looked about as spectacular a foul by a keeper that I can remember. Amazing he stayed on ....except that there was a technical case for just a yellow. Still overall Gomes had a good game- for us.

It was not a bad foul by Gomes, he was just too slow for Vardy, but he had to try to get there. Vardy jumped expecting Gomes to either dive at his feet or trip him, he did neither but caught Vardy mid air because he couldn't get out of the way.

I saw no malice or intent.

It was not a bad foul by Gomes, he was just too slow for Vardy, but he had to try to get there. Vardy jumped expecting Gomes to either dive at his feet or trip him, he did neither but caught Vardy mid air because he couldn't get out of the way.

I saw no malice or intent.

Malice or intent has absolutely nothing to do with it. If he doesn't take Vardy out, Vardy passes him and has a shot at an empty net. It's denying a clear goalscoring opportunity. It's one of the most straight forward red cards you're ever likely to see. Utterly baffling he wasn't sent off.

And the "double punishment" cop out some pundits trot out is BS too as it assumes the penalty is going to be scored. If it's not, then you can just as well argue Leicester have been denied what would've been an almost certain goal illegally with no proper punishment and Watford have been rewarded for stopping a likely goal illegally. You only have to remember Suarez stopping a certain goal with his hands in the 2010 World Cup against Ghana to show how if the penalty is missed then the illegal stopping of the goal is rewarded, as a penalty is not necessarily a fair compromise for illegally stopping a clear goakscoring opportunity and at least the red card atones for that somewhat.

You only have to remember Suarez stopping a certain goal with his hands in the 2010 World Cup against Ghana to show how if the penalty is missed then the illegal stopping of the goal is rewarded, as a penalty is not necessarily a fair compromise for illegally stopping a clear goakscoring opportunity and at least the red card atones for that somewhat.

I've been saying for years the punishment doesn't fit the crime but not many people agree with my suggested alternative.
If a player is denied a clear goalscoring opportunity by a foul or handball in the penalty area, the ref should be able to award the goal. If it happens outside the penalty area, award a penalty.

Malice or intent has absolutely nothing to do with it. If he doesn't take Vardy out, Vardy passes him and has a shot at an empty net. It's denying a clear goalscoring opportunity. It's one of the most straight forward red cards you're ever likely to see. Utterly baffling he wasn't sent off.

And the "double punishment" cop out some pundits trot out is BS too as it assumes the penalty is going to be scored. If it's not, then you can just as well argue Leicester have been denied what would've been an almost certain goal illegally with no proper punishment and Watford have been rewarded for stopping a likely goal illegally. You only have to remember Suarez stopping a certain goal with his hands in the 2010 World Cup against Ghana to show how if the penalty is missed then the illegal stopping of the goal is rewarded, as a penalty is not necessarily a fair compromise for illegally stopping a clear goakscoring opportunity and at least the red card atones for that somewhat.
There were two defenders who would have stopped a clear goalscoring chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566