Post Match Leicester 2 Watford 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been saying for years the punishment doesn't fit the crime but not many people agree with my suggested alternative.
If a player is denied a clear goalscoring opportunity by a foul or handball in the penalty area, the ref should be able to award the goal. If it happens outside the penalty area, award a penalty.

I agree with your suggestion Jeff providing the referee can judge a clear goalscoring opportunity. Centre of goal give the goal, away from centre and near the byline just give a penalty. This is a real penalty against the defending team, as we have seen loads of top players miss from 3 yards out.

Well Vardy can easily score from where he was brought down, so that ref got it wrong?

I've been saying for years the punishment doesn't fit the crime but not many people agree with my suggested alternative.
If a player is denied a clear goalscoring opportunity by a foul or handball in the penalty area, the ref should be able to award the goal. If it happens outside the penalty area, award a penalty.

A bit similar to Rugby with the Penalty Try situation?

Not really. A penalty try can be awarded the whole width of the goal line and you probably have to be within a few metres of it to be given even for repeatedly bringing the scrum down.

Bang on PR - Gomes should have gone for that but at least we still won.

Well Vardy can easily score from where he was brought down, so that ref got it wrong?

It's not about where he was brought down, it's about what he would have done had he not been brought down. IMO he'd played he ball into a position that wouldn't have been a "clear goal scoring position", as it was wide and with a narrow angle, plus two defenders would also have been in play. I'm a qualified referee though, so am normally wrong ;)

It's not about where he was brought down, it's about what he would have done had he not been brought down. IMO he'd played he ball into a position that wouldn't have been a "clear goal scoring position", as it was wide and with a narrow angle, plus two defenders would also have been in play. I'm a qualified referee though, so am normally wrong ;)
I agree with you there.

Another question since you're a qualified ref; is the Vardy showing his finger to the linesman episode a red card offence?

I agree with you there.

Another question since you're a qualified ref; is the Vardy showing his finger to the linesman episode a red card offence?

If you played on a local level and did that, you would be sent off. If you swore at a ref on a local level, you would be sent off.

This doesn't seem to happen in the professional game (feck knows why, in theory the same laws apply), so who knows. It's a source of annoyance to me, as we often hear about how we need initiatives to make professional players behave better towards referees and yet there are already the means to deal with these things. I don't give a shit if a game ends 7v7, it won't happen often and I fail to see why referees at Premier League level put up with it, when in the amateur game you certainly wouldn't. I played to a decent standard of non-league football and, even there, you wouldn't expect to get away with it, so it really does frustrate me.

There were two defenders who would have stopped a clear goalscoring chance.

The defenders are behind Vardy and running backwards and can't use their hands to stop it. Vardy is quicker than them. If Vardy gets to the ball past the keeper and shoots first time, the only way those defenders are stopping that goal is with a very good sliding block, if Vardy hits it more than 2 feet off the ground it's a goal.

I don't give a shit if a game ends 7v7,

I may be wrong but isn't there a rule about the number of players in a team - e.g. less than nine and the game is abandoned in favour of the other team?

Journalists seem finally to have dug out the record for English top flight football and not since football was invented in 92. Surprisingly the record is only one more than RVN - 11 by Stan Mortensen. Unfortunately that game for Vardy could be against a team who haven't conceded in 5![/QUOTE

Stan Mortenson was a very good centre forward but not a great one. He was a prolific goalscorer because he was lucky enough to have Stanley Matthews on the wing. Other great players - Di Stefano, Pele, Maradona - were goalscorers. Matthews genius was making goals. In 1953 Mortenson became the first player to score a hat trick in a cup final but it is rightly always called "The Matthews Final".

I agree with you there.

Before his England call up = yes

A few caps and another call up = don't be ****ing stupid

This doesn't seem to happen in the professional game (feck knows why, in theory the same laws apply), so who knows. It's a source of annoyance to me, as we often hear about how we need initiatives to make professional players behave better towards referees and yet there are already the means to deal with these things. I don't give a shit if a game ends 7v7, it won't happen often and I fail to see why referees at Premier League level put up with it, when in the amateur game you certainly wouldn't. I played to a decent standard of non-league football and, even there, you wouldn't expect to get away with it, so it really does frustrate me.
When I was playing in the lower leagues of Swedish football (essentially Sunday leagues), they introduced a rule that particularly nasty words, often related to the human anatomy, would result in a straight red card even if not directed at anyone. Considering most teams consisted of hungover northern miners, that was quite entertaining.

If a player is denied a clear goalscoring opportunity by a foul or handball in the penalty area, the ref should be able to award the goal..

Good Lord no. A goal should be the result of the ball crossing the line between the goal posts and underneath the crossbar. To award a goal when this hasn't happened is just wrong and changes football even further away from the game it should be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566