Post Match Leicester 3 Crystal Palace 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll not go on about the applause thing before the match, except to say that my feelings about it were clearly in a minority (that doesn't mean I'm wrong of course!). Some around me thought it was as idiotic as I did and the Palace fans appeared bewildered by it, but most clapped away. Ranieri holding the picture of 'King Bumhole' did make me feel queasy mind.

I think this does deserve a serious reply. We are immensely fortunate to have acquired foreign owners who are not egocentric megalomaniacs.

They have mostly quietly gone about the business of investing £200million + in the long term infrastructure of the club. They do not crave media attention such as when they bring the monks over to bless the players and the pitch. Everyone in the club is made to feel part of a big family. Part of that culture has been their religion and their devotion, with most of Thailand, to their King.

I do not think it is fair to them to say we will just accept those parts of their culture or religion that fit our understanding. I think we have to accept it all. Their King was immensely important to them and we should respect whatever way they feel is appropriate to mark it.

I think this does deserve a serious reply. We are immensely fortunate to have acquired foreign owners who are not egocentric megalomaniacs.

They have mostly quietly gone about the business of investing £200million + in the long term infrastructure of the club. They do not crave media attention such as when they bring the monks over to bless the players and the pitch. Everyone in the club is made to feel part of a big family. Part of that culture has been their religion and their devotion, with most of Thailand, to their King.

I do not think it is fair to them to say we will just accept those parts of their culture or religion that fit our understanding. I think we have to accept it all. Their King was immensely important to them and we should respect whatever way they feel is appropriate to mark it.
The fact anyone is ignorent enough to think otherwise saddens me.

I love how Musa won the corner before the third goal. He is seriously ****ing quick

I wasn't loving the way he switched off and failed to attackthe 6 yard box in anticipation of Vardy crossing . Fair play to him, he definitely made amends.

Great goal today. I think he has bags of potential.

My old man told me the result before I was watching the game delayed. I was angry he told me, but the first half was boring me shitless I probably would have sneaked a look to see if it was worth watching.

Okazaki celebrating scoring nearly makes me smile as much as him actually scoring.

For Okazaki's goal, when the ball was blocked by Delaney, Shinji was still a yard or two behind his marker on the edge of the box, but whilst the Palace player had clearly given up, it was Shinji's determination to follow up that got him ahead of his man and got the shot in. This pretty much sums up his game ethics for me.

I think we have very good owners. However they aren't perfect and we should remember that King Power has a bit of dodgy history itself. The blokes aren't saints and just because they have (for the most part) managed the club well shouldn't elevate them above criticism. I certainly do not agree that they aren't egocentric. Any end of season celebrations will tell you that they are.

I felt that yesterday's tribute was inppropriate. I understand why the owners would want to make it (and to be honest it was for the benefit of Thai news bulletins rather than the UK audience) but do not understand why so many of our supporters were happy to participate.

The bloke enabled human rights abuses in Thailand. I don't give a shit if the owners revere him or not. He was an arsehole. I remained seated and did not applaud. I'm won't give a shit when our own monarch dies, let alone a much less benign equivalent from the other side of the planet.

Again, I get why the owners wanted something to happen, but I absolutely do not respect their reasoning or its manifestation. I'd much rather any kind of politics (and that's what it all comes down to) is kept away from football. Indeed I want anything not football-related kept away from the game. Matchdays are my escape. I could do without the annual "worship the armed forces" event to but can at least respect the motivation for it.

One of the trade offs we've had to make in return for their ownership of the club is that they will use us as a vehicle to raise their own profile, particularly back at home. The stadium name, the shirts, the hogging of the limelight when we've won trophies. The bizarre end of season ritual of wandering around a football pitch with a portrait of their King held aloft. I don't really like any of it and consider it an encroachment on to the identity of a proud football club for commercial and (Thai) reputational purposes.

Those things will be here to stay for as long as the owners remain, which I suspect will be for a very long time indeed. But them being good owners doesn't mean that we have to respect their customs. Some things are bigger than football and I found yesterday's events to be more than a little distasteful.

I think we have very good owners. However they aren't perfect and we should remember that King Power has a bit of dodgy history itself. The blokes aren't saints and just because they have (for the most part) managed the club well shouldn't elevate them above criticism. I certainly do not agree that they aren't egocentric. Any end of season celebrations will tell you that they are.

I felt that yesterday's tribute was inppropriate. I understand why the owners would want to make it (and to be honest it was for the benefit of Thai news bulletins rather than the UK audience) but do not understand why so many of our supporters were happy to participate.

The bloke enabled human rights abuses in Thailand. I don't give a shit if the owners revere him or not. He was an arsehole. I remained seated and did not applaud. I'm won't give a shit when our own monarch dies, let alone a much less benign equivalent from the other side of the planet.

Again, I get why the owners wanted something to happen, but I absolutely do not respect their reasoning or its manifestation. I'd much rather any kind of politics (and that's what it all comes down to) is kept away from football. Indeed I want anything not football-related kept away from the game. Matchdays are my escape. I could do without the annual "worship the armed forces" event to but can at least respect the motivation for it.

One of the trade offs we've had to make in return for their ownership of the club is that they will use us as a vehicle to raise their own profile, particularly back at home. The stadium name, the shirts, the hogging of the limelight when we've won trophies. The bizarre end of season ritual of wandering around a football pitch with a portrait of their King held aloft. I don't really like any of it and consider it an encroachment on to the identity of a proud football club for commercial and (Thai) reputational purposes.

Those things will be here to stay for as long as the owners remain, which I suspect will be for a very long time indeed. But them being good owners doesn't mean that we have to respect their customs. Some things are bigger than football and I found yesterday's events to be more than a little distasteful.

Thank you very much for articulating my thoughts perfectly, in a much more reasoned and coherent way than I did myself.

I had just logged on to yet again read widespread disdain for my viewpoint and was getting pretty close to questioning whether there was any point expressing any 'non-uniform' opinion on here any more.

When I see puffed up and absurd adoration for a mere old man who did at least as much bad as good, I want to lampoon it. I don't like people thinking and behaving like sheep.

It wasn't exactly Copenhagen was it?

CvZf5paWIAAvAPt.jpg

FIF and Micky are quite right.
In defending hjs post Brown Nose (deliberately?) ducks the question - why is a grown man using the language of an underachieving twelve year old?

Damn it. I was aiming for the words of a seven year old.

It disappoints me that you are incapable of understanding why.

Thank you very much for articulating my thoughts perfectly, in a much more reasoned and coherent way than I did myself.

I had just logged on to yet again read widespread disdain for my viewpoint and was getting pretty close to questioning whether there was any point expressing any 'non-uniform' opinion on here any more.

When I see puffed up and absurd adoration for a mere old man who did at least as much bad as good, I want to lampoon it. I don't like people thinking and behaving like sheep.
I'm glad you're here, BN. Forced adoration does not sit comfortably with me either, and freedom of thought is a beautiful thing.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

You mean the same armed forces who continue to commit murder around the world in the name of liberation?

When people give marks to players I think Slimani's performance gets undervalued. His general play is very effective. Kasper has developed into (IMO) the best Leicester goalkeeper since Shilton.
I don't know how people managed to mark Musa. There were times when he was excellent and worth an 8 but too often seemed slow to react or too easy to dispossess and lucky to get a 5 . If Leicester were playing the best XI I would pick Albrighton over Musa.

Amartey and Gray had a few minutes at the end. This is the right way to develop young talent - slowly slowly.

From your post I suspect that our views on the staged adulation for our armed forces are similar, Matt. Which is why I've stated that I don't like it, but can understand that taking time to pay respects to young men sent to die on the plains of the continent for the sake of politics a century ago (among other conflicts, clearly) at least comes from the right place.

But I would rather see it removed from football. Well, not the minute's silence which I think is fine. Any extras which represent our move towards an Americanised love off all things uniformed can piss off. The deification of the military is not something I will participate in.

That's as much as I'll say on the matter. I don't wish to get into a debate about it and, given that I don't think football is the place for any of it, it would be hypocritical of me to continue the conversation on this forum.

From your post I suspect that our views on the staged adulation for our armed forces are similar, Matt. Which is why I've stated that I don't like it, but can understand that taking time to pay respects to young men sent to die on the plains of the continent for the sake of politics a century ago (among other conflicts, clearly) at least comes from the right place.

But I would rather see it removed from football. Well, not the minute's silence which I think is fine. Any extras which represent our move towards an Americanised love off all things uniformed can piss off. The deification of the military is not something I will participate in.

That's as much as I'll say on the matter. I don't wish to get into a debate about it and, given that I don't think football is the place for any of it, it would be hypocritical of me to continue the conversation on this forum.

I have no problem with this stance. What I disliked what the "bumhole king" comment concerning the recently departed. If that came from a Thai who had lived under his reign fair enough but from a westerner who likely hasn't I think it wasn't necessary. BN disagreeing with the minute's silence is his right and wasn't the target of my comment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669