Post Match Leicester 3 Manchester United 1 FA Cup QF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Copied from the BBC

"Half Time:
Man United celebrate avoiding Man City and Chelsea in the semi finals!

Full Time:
The rest of the world celebrate United avoiding Southampton in the semi finals too!!"

I'm still buzzing.

That was brilliant. We dominated the game.

One momentary lapse in defence gave them their goal. Other than that they never looked like scoring (other than a long range Bruno free kick which was well saved by Kasper), whereas we had at least 3 good chances where we could've scored - Vardy in the first half, Vardy one on one in second half, and Perez getting through but shooting when he should've played through. Probably a couple of others I'm forgetting too.

The whole team was excellent. Vardy may not be scoring but his off the ball play and setup play are both good right now. The goal will come soon.

Hard to pick a MOTM.

Fofana and Soyuncu were both sensational at the back, as were Ndidi and Tielemans in midfield, and Nacho all over the attacking third.

I really think that was our best performance all season and a great time to do it - and should give the team confidence for the remaining league games too.

While we buckled in the big games last season, Brendan has managed them superbly this season and got the results to show for it.

****ing superb.

Someone already said it, but for a non big six team to beat all big six teams in one season is remarkable. I wonder when that last happened? Statto?

I love how different reviews pick up on different elements, and indeed can seem to be reviewing a different game. There can be a revisionist approach too; a performance smoothed over, noisy data points removed. Any period of the game that may not fit the overall narrative is air-brushed or simply forgotten.

We end up having cruised to victory, being the masters throughout the game. Tactically more astute, physically quicker and wanting it more - that's the legacy, the history that'll get written.

Yet, at times as I watched, it really wasn't that comfortable; those noisy data points. The game started with them looking dominant and we had to patiently assert control. At times, the game was played at walking pace, as we sought to keep the ball and impose ourselves. At 2-1 up, I'd have taken it, wanting the ref to call time. Of course, part of that is my nerves and, hence, my perception is altered by that. I didn't think we looked truly 'comfortable' until we were 3-1 up and then we seemed to play with more confidence and they, conversely, looked deflated. We bossed it from there on in.

It's so much simpler to say things like 'United were shit' and 'Leicester were the better team' but does that reflect the ebb-and-flow of the entire match? Yes, they're true enough as concluding summary statements in themselves but do they do justice to the game?

I love how different reviews pick up on different elements, and indeed can seem to be reviewing a different game. There can be a revisionist approach too; a performance smoothed over, noisy data points removed. Any period of the game that may not fit the overall narrative is air-brushed or simply forgotten.

We end up having cruised to victory, being the masters throughout the game. Tactically more astute, physically quicker and wanting it more - that's the legacy, the history that'll get written.

Yet, at times as I watched, it really wasn't that comfortable; those noisy data points. The game started with them looking dominant and we had to patiently assert control. At times, the game was played at walking pace, as we sought to keep the ball and impose ourselves. At 2-1 up, I'd have taken it, wanting the ref to call time. Of course, part of that is my nerves and, hence, my perception is altered by that. I didn't think we looked truly 'comfortable' until we were 3-1 up and then we seemed to play with more confidence and they, conversely, looked deflated. We bossed it from there on in.

It's so much simpler to say things like 'United were shit' and 'Leicester were the better team' but does that reflect the ebb-and-flow of the entire match? Yes, they're true enough as concluding summary statements in themselves but do they do justice to the game?
I think you hit the nail on the head when you mentioned your perception. When we watch our own team we always watch it with bias, be it fear, intrepidation or what ever. I think the view of neutral would be best placed and I don't mean the press.

Coupla' questions re Nacho's last goal (which I wanted to watch again);

- what's the arm slapping celebration about?
- what was Nacho's position before the free kick was taken?

on the last question, the highlights I watched just show Nacho unmarked near the back post in the 6yd box, McWomble is the closest marker but there's plenty of space. Just wondered when Nacho moved there and from where? It's criminal defending that he was given that amount of space.

Coupla' questions re Nacho's last goal (which I wanted to watch again);

- what's the arm slapping celebration about?
- what was Nacho's position before the free kick was taken?

on the last question, the highlights I watched just show Nacho unmarked near the back post in the 6yd box, McWomble is the closest marker but there's plenty of space. Just wondered when Nacho moved there and from where? It's criminal defending that he was given that amount of space.
He was a bit further away from the goal line. mcTomminay had him covered sort off. When the freekick was taken McTomminay didnt have a view of the ball and bent forward to be able to see it. That led to him losing control of Nacho’s movement behind him

Outstanding result, were Man Utd leggy from the UEFA games or did we just not allow them to dominate? Albrighton put one hell of a shift in yesterday and complimented Fofana Superbly, Nacho is starting to think and look to exploit the space Vardy is creating for him, it is only a matter of time before the pair of them are knocking them in.

I felt we should have won that by 4 or 5 goals just hope the international break is kind to us, I am off to eat my hat as Nacho has proved me to be an idiot happy days.

Just found another clip that shows a little more. Nacho starts outside the 6yd box and runs in behind McT...

Edit: yep, McT thinks he has Nacho covered but loses him as Nacho runs in behind. Albrighton sees the run (or maybe a training ground exercise) and picks him out. Lovely stuff from the pair of them.

I'm curious what you mean by "best placed". Best placed for what?
Best placed to identify how good a performance it was from Leicester. How bad it was a performance from united. Just how dominant one team was over the other.
I sat there thinking we were good but never in control however alot of my neutral friends saw a totally different game and thought even at 1 - 1 there was only going to be one winner in that match...

I sat there thinking we were good but never in control however alot of my neutral friends saw a totally different game and thought even at 1 - 1 there was only going to be one winner in that match...
Yep, that's what I'm getting at. That difference in perspective and view point. It's pretty freaky when you think about it, when you think everyone is watching the same game.

A journalist that has an article to write, an article that adheres to journalistic norms, can bring a singular 'smoothed' narrative to an entire game. That's what people will read and ends up being the documented 'history' as it where.

A single act in the match, e.g. Kasper not getting a hand to Fernandes' free kick, could change that entire narrative.

I sometimes find myself disagreeing with the Pundits if they say we played well, I put this down to many of them having lower expectations of us, we are still little old Leicester to many of them.

But watching Leicester every week and knowing what they are capable of I would suggest my expectations and thus assessment will be more accurate.

Yep, that's what I'm getting at. That difference in perspective and view point. It's pretty freaky when you think about it, when you think everyone is watching the same game.

A journalist that has an article to write, an article that adheres to journalistic norms, can bring a singular 'smoothed' narrative to an entire game. That's what people will read and ends up being the documented 'history' as it where.

A single act in the match, e.g. Kasper not getting a hand to Fernandes' free kick, could change that entire narrative.
A single act in the game did change the perspective for me off the first half. Uniteds goal came out of the blue for me and left me thinking that the tide had turned and left me wondering if we had lost our chance of a win.

I was certainly aware that ManU had players that could turn a match; Martial, Pogba... and then Cavani, Fernandes. I don't think I felt comfortable until the last 10 minutes.

Nacho's first goal was great skill. His speed of thought and movement to deceive Henderson was superb. Most strikers would have felt pressured in to hitting it earlier and the goalie would probably save it.

He had the presence of mind to do a wonderful feint and put Hendo out of the picture. A fabulous goal.

Martial is pretty poor imo and no where near the level of the others you mentioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4389
4Southampton4484
5West Brom4472
6Norwich City4472
7Hull City4469
8Coventry City4363