Mental Health, Reaching Out & the Kindness of Strangers

I discovered this book recently. Fortunately, I don't suffer with depression myself but I do have an interest in the subject. This book is aimed specifically at understanding why men fail to understand and deal with depression in the way women do. Depression is much more dangerous in men and I think this book goes a long way to describe why.

1705347983958.png

I couldn't give too ****ing shits about this Blue Monday lark. As if anyone needs any further reasons to be a miserable moody **** at this time of year !

The whole of Jan & Feb & pretty much all of March too is an abysmal period filled with cold, damp weather, massive energy bills, **** all social occasions worth a **** & irritating arseholes with faces like smacked arses mooching around doing & saying **** all of any interest.

Best way to deal with it is batten down the hatches, ignore every ****er it's possible to ignore, switch your brain off when interacting with the ones you have to tolerate & wait for the clocks to go forward & the ****ing thermostat to become less of a feature of your pointless life.

Only way to survive this miserable cesspit with sanity intact.

Roll on springtime.

I couldn't give too ****ing shits about this Blue Monday lark. As if anyone needs any further reasons to be a miserable moody **** at this time of year !

The whole of Jan & Feb & pretty much all of March too is an abysmal period filled with cold, damp weather, massive energy bills, **** all social occasions worth a **** & irritating arseholes with faces like smacked arses mooching around doing & saying **** all of any interest.

Best way to deal with it is batten down the hatches, ignore every ****er it's possible to ignore, switch your brain off when interacting with the ones you have to tolerate & wait for the clocks to go forward & the ****ing thermostat to become less of a feature of your pointless life.

Roll on springtime.
**** that, it’s the best time of the year - snowboarding season :038:

Just got back from trip 1 on Saturday, got 2 more still to come.

Roll on springtime.
I like to book a holiday for Feb. It gives you something to look forward to and a bit of winter sun. A good tonic for this season.

**** that, it’s the best time of the year - snowboarding season :038:

Just got back from trip 1 on Saturday, got 2 more still to come.
Obviously it's nice for people who have interests that match the time of year. Never been the case for me though.

Snowboardiing wouldn't really be a good fit for me. Not only am I 59 with liver disease & walk with a stick, but more importantly I look shit with a beard.
I like to book a holiday for Feb. It gives you something to look forward to and a bit of winter sun. A good tonic for this season.
Believe me if it was an option I'd be the first on the plane. I'd be checking the temperatures everywhere in southern europe & north africa right now & just going for the highest number. Not viable though, at least not this year. However there has been talk about doing something this time next year to celebrate having turned 60. As always though, finances will dictate.

Some **** suggested Amsterdam.

Yeah. In January.

They were duly informed of their status as a ****.

Blue Monday. It normally doesn’t land for me that it is a particularly depressing day, but that weekend just went too quick. I hope you are all good.
January is just ****ed anyway as everyone is persuaded into throwing themselves into debt at the altar of capitalism and can't afford to do shit.

Roll on March - February is always a shitter!

I seem to have completely lost the ability to sleep for more than three hours a night since Christmas. It’s ****ing amazing what goes through your mind at 3am while you lay there unable to nod off.

I seem to have completely lost the ability to sleep for more than three hours a night since Christmas. It’s ****ing amazing what goes through your mind at 3am while you lay there unable to nod off.
Worst time of the day or night to use your brain to anything.

Worst time of the day or night to use your brain to anything.
I won’t go into specifics but the kind of pervasive, awful shit your mind conjures up…. And then in the morning, poof it’s gone.

I’d love to know what’s going on with that, I know it happens to everyone more or less.

As usual Ill be the ray of sunshine on here.......miserable ****s

Just got back from a cracking Ski trip to Bulgaria to start the year.

I'm not a soppy **** so don't get drawn into this absolute nonsense that is dry January and have some lovely new beers lined up to sample at the weekend.

It's starting to get lighter so not leaving work in the dark

We've had a couple of weeks of no rain and cold crisp mornings, my favourite.

Everyone on here is still a ****

I won’t go into specifics but the kind of pervasive, awful shit your mind conjures up…. And then in the morning, poof it’s gone.

I’d love to know what’s going on with that, I know it happens to everyone more or less.

We're still learning about what happens to our brain when we sleep

The culture of 'sleep is for wimps' and believing that corners can be cut with sleep routines is slowly being proved to be nonsense.

Xmas is a typical time when we change routines and ruin our sleep patterns.

The brain needs to clean and repair itself fully and too little, or too poor quality, sleep naturally leads to the brain playing tricks on us when we're awake. Especially when your brain desperately needs sleep. Read up on the latest evidence of what vital work your brain does while you sleep.

Reestablishing healthy sleep patterns depend on the problem. When I lose my routine, I typically struggle with waking for hours in the night rather than struggling to fall asleep. The advice is to force yourself to stay awake later (which is counterintuitive) as this kicks your system back into sync after a couple of days.

The culture of 'sleep is for wimps' and believing that corners can be cut with sleep routines is slowly being proved to be nonsense.

The brain needs to clean and repair itself fully and too little, or too poor quality, sleep naturally leads to the brain playing tricks on us when we're awake. Especially when your brain desperately needs sleep. Read up on the latest evidence of what vital work your brain does while you sleep.

Reestablishing healthy sleep patterns depend on the problem. When I lose my routine, I typically struggle with waking for hours in the night rather than struggling to fall asleep. The advice is to force yourself to stay awake later (which is counterintuitive) as this kicks your system back into sync after a couple of days.

The street really has diversified

I have had sleep issues for years. Nothing wakes me up thats bad or worrying. Just random stuff that's pops into my head...like properly random shit. Woke up the other night because my mind was desperate to clarify that i hadn't just made up the kid of Beethoven being called Rice.

Doesn’t help that our son has gone from being a really good sleeper to a period of sleep regression (normal for toddlers I’m told) and having a virus for the last week.

So he’s either awake and very upset or I’m lying there waiting for him to wake up, certain I can hear him crying in his room when he isn’t.

It will pass, definitely going to try staying up later like I would during the summer months.

Had a couple of episodes of sleep paralysis, usually very early in the morning when I’m half asleep but conscious that my alarm will soon go off and the lack of sleep will make for a shit day at work. That shit is TERRIFYING. I’ve seen my son crawling across the bed towards me screaming and inconsolable while I’m frozen still and melting into the mattress, unable to say anything or move a muscle. Only to snap out of it with a yelp and there’s nothing there. ****ing horrible.

Doesn’t help that our son has gone from being a really good sleeper to a period of sleep regression (normal for toddlers I’m told) and having a virus for the last week.

So he’s either awake and very upset or I’m lying there waiting for him to wake up, certain I can hear him crying in his room when he isn’t.

It will pass, definitely going to try staying up later like I would during the summer months.

Had a couple of episodes of sleep paralysis, usually very early in the morning when I’m half asleep but conscious that my alarm will soon go off and the lack of sleep will make for a shit day at work. That shit is TERRIFYING. I’ve seen my son crawling across the bed towards me screaming and inconsolable while I’m frozen still and melting into the mattress, unable to say anything or move a muscle. Only to snap out of it with a yelp and there’s nothing there. ****ing horrible.
I’m not liking your post, just sympathising with it.

Yes perfectly normal for kids' sleep patterns to change. My kids are 18, 15 & 11 and they were all different to each other and changed all the time. One thing I would say is to not beat yourself up about it, which is sometimes easier said than done, but these things happen, despite what some people like to portray to the world.

Yes perfectly normal for kids' sleep patterns to change. My kids are 18, 15 & 11 and they were all different to each other and changed all the time. One thing I would say is to not beat yourself up about it, which is sometimes easier said than done, but these things happen, despite what some people like to portray to the world.
Thanks, I appreciate that.

If only someone had warned us that having a small child is hard work :icon lol:

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669