Mental Health, Reaching Out & the Kindness of Strangers

Doesn’t help that our son has gone from being a really good sleeper to a period of sleep regression (normal for toddlers I’m told) and having a virus for the last week.

So he’s either awake and very upset or I’m lying there waiting for him to wake up, certain I can hear him crying in his room when he isn’t.

It will pass, definitely going to try staying up later like I would during the summer months.

Had a couple of episodes of sleep paralysis, usually very early in the morning when I’m half asleep but conscious that my alarm will soon go off and the lack of sleep will make for a shit day at work. That shit is TERRIFYING. I’ve seen my son crawling across the bed towards me screaming and inconsolable while I’m frozen still and melting into the mattress, unable to say anything or move a muscle. Only to snap out of it with a yelp and there’s nothing there. ****ing horrible.

Stress and anxiety usually causes sleep paralysis which in turn just makes you more stressed and anxious!

And some people think that the human body is well evolved for the modern existence.

The only thing I can suggest from personal experience is the shift system. It's what got me and Mrs BN through those times.

Basically, each of you gets at least 7 hours uninterrupted each night. So, one could get from 7pm to 2am and the other 2am to 9am. The other one is 'on call' during your uninterrupted hours.

There is nothing more daft than both parents being woken up.

During the time before the explosion of the industrial age it was common for people to wake in the middle of the night, do some chores or chat for an hour or two and then go back to bed. It was known as "first and second sleep."

During the time before the explosion of the industrial age it was common for people to wake in the middle of the night, do some chores or chat for an hour or two and then go back to bed. It was known as "first and second sleep."
I remember hearing that on a podcast, probably Dan Snow’s or something.

Sounds creepy as ****.

Can’t have slept more than 15-20 hours in total the last week. Feeling absolutely ****ed now, gone all the way past tired and got heart thumping anxiety going now.

That said, I’ve had a ****ing cracking weekend, lad and wife are over this virus that’s been going round so we went to Fosse Park for some lunch and shopping today. The boy made sure he stopped at each of those foxes that are dotted around and patted it on the head and blew it a kiss, the adorable little bugger.

Can’t have slept more than 15-20 hours in total the last week. Feeling absolutely ****ed now, gone all the way past tired and got heart thumping anxiety going now.

That said, I’ve had a ****ing cracking weekend, lad and wife are over this virus that’s been going round so we went to Fosse Park for some lunch and shopping today. The boy made sure he stopped at each of those foxes that are dotted around and patted it on the head and blew it a kiss, the adorable little bugger.
I went to Fosse park for the 1st time in years yesterday.

No wonder the actual city is on it's arse the place is ****ing ridiculous.

They've ****ed the city roads up so badly im not sure why anyone would go into town over FP

They've ****ed the city roads up so badly im not sure why anyone would go into town over FP
It’s so much better now isn’t it?

Like you say you sit in standstill traffic to get to Highcross and while it’s bright and clean the place has a whiff of death about it. Beyond John Lewis there’s no ****er in any of the shops.

It’s so much better now isn’t it?

Like you say you sit in standstill traffic to get to Highcross and while it’s bright and clean the place has a whiff of death about it. Beyond John Lewis there’s no ****er in any of the shops.
Pretty much the same in London, congestion charge, ULEZ, ludicrous parking charges and very few of them.

Battersea power station is the complete opposite of the above and it wouldn’t surprise me if it signed the death warrant for central London shopping, particularly Oxford Street and the surrounding areas.

Plenty of cheap parking, wide open spaces and tons of shops all very spacious fitted out in a beautiful building. In the summer they set up free deck chairs and a massive screen for the cricket. Running tracks, entertainment venues, bars, restaurants and tons of free stuff.

Pretty much the same in London, congestion charge, ULEZ, ludicrous parking charges and very few of them.

Battersea power station is the complete opposite of the above and it wouldn’t surprise me if it signed the death warrant for central London shopping, particularly Oxford Street and the surrounding areas.

Plenty of cheap parking, wide open spaces and tons of shops all very spacious fitted out in a beautiful building. In the summer they set up free deck chairs and a massive screen for the cricket. Running tracks, entertainment venues, bars, restaurants and tons of free stuff.
Do many people incur those driving/parking charges when they shop on Oxford Street? I just assumed most used the tube or bus?

Do many people incur those driving/parking charges when they shop on Oxford Street? I just assumed most used the tube or bus?
The tube is quite expensive now, so for a family of 4 to travel to Oxford street and back would cost about £30, and the buses are crap.

I would prefer to drive as it is a much more pleasant experience as the tube is dirty and overcrowded, so public transport doesn’t really tempt me out of my car. I think a large proportion of people travelling into zone one would prefer their own transport than public transport?

The tube is quite expensive now, so for a family of 4 to travel to Oxford street and back would cost about £30, and the buses are crap.

I would prefer to drive as it is a much more pleasant experience as the tube is dirty and overcrowded, so public transport doesn’t really tempt me out of my car. I think a large proportion of people travelling into zone one would prefer their own transport than public transport?
I'm surprised at that. I hear what you're saying, but two of my brothers (along with a lot of friends) live in London and they wouldn't even consider using their cars for that sort of journey, they'd always use public transport. From the outside, it always makes me laugh when people from London complain about public transport, as, compared to most of the rest of the country, it's vastly superior (not aimed at you, Cambers, just a general comment).

I'm surprised at that. I hear what you're saying, but two of my brothers (along with a lot of friends) live in London and they wouldn't even consider using their cars for that sort of journey, they'd always use public transport. From the outside, it always makes me laugh when people from London complain about public transport, as, compared to most of the rest of the country, it's vastly superior (not aimed at you, Cambers, just a general comment).
I agree London transport is probably much better than elsewhere in the UK but it is certainly on the decline.

I guess you get used to where you live and don’t consider elsewhere by comparison.

I agree London transport is probably much better than elsewhere in the UK but it is certainly on the decline.

I guess you get used to where you live and don’t consider elsewhere by comparison.
Yeah familiarity breeds contempt, as they say. Having used the metro in Paris and the subway in New York, though, I'd definitely choose the tube over those options and, compared to the almost non-existent options in other UK cities, I think you're probably luckier than you realise in this area.

Yeah familiarity breeds contempt, as they say. Having used the metro in Paris and the subway in New York, though, I'd definitely choose the tube over those options and, compared to the almost non-existent options in other UK cities, I think you're probably luckier than you realise in this area.
Fair enough. I would be interested in price comparisons though as the tube feels very expensive atm.

Twat Khan is also considering variable pricing so that he can load prices on days of the week when the tube is busiest, due mainly to changes in working patterns with more people working from home on a Monday and Friday.

Every time I go to London, it pisses me off how cheap and easy it is to move around there. Try doing it in Leicester!

I know it would be better to want everywhere to be as good but I just have no time for whining about Khan trying to generate a bit more revenue from a massively subsidised operation.

Every time I go to London, it pisses me off how cheap and easy it is to move around there. Try doing it in Leicester!

I know it would be better to want everywhere to be as good but I just have no time for whining about Khan trying to generate a bit more revenue from a massively subsidised operation.
Cheap, yeah right. Nearly £10 per day to travel from zone one to zones be two and back.

Free travel once your 60 in London compared to the rest of the country where most have to wait until 66

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566
9Coventry City4564
10Preston 4563