MM interview on SSN shortly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry BN you usually talk a fair amount of sense but that paragraph regarding Grayson is absolute bullsh1t. The bloke hasn't been lucky, he took Blackpool over when they were deep in relegation trouble, saved them then got them promoted via the play offs in his first full season and then with very limited resources kept them in the championship, something that Holloway failed to do at a club with superb resources. He has done this by being astute in the transfer market and by selecting a superb backroom team.

I respect your opinion too PF, but I'm sure about SG. If you scratch the surface of the fella, he's nice enough but thick as pigshite.

How many times has a senior player at a club taken over the reigns in bad times and had a good run? It happens fairly regularly. What almost never happens is that run is sustained at another club. They always come crashing down. Also, look at his record with Blackpool over the period IH has been in charge. I'd suggest IH picked up more points per game despite having an absolute shambles of a squad to sort out.

Doesn't sound to me like a smart move. MM would also eat him for breakfast which is exactly what we don't need. If he went from Blackpool to another club and did well, he might be worth a punt at some stage. Right now, to gamble on someone whose never managed anywhere else, and certainly not with the pressure and expectation that's here, or a bunch of players that he won't command the respect of, would be suicidal.

SG = Train wreck season.
IH = Probable promotion season.

No contest in my view.

Last edited by a moderator:
I respect your opinion too PF, but I'm sure about SG. If you scratch the surface of the fella, he's nice enough but thick as pigshite.

How many times has a senior player at a club taken over the reigns in bad times and had a good run? It happens fairly regularly. What almost never happens is that run is sustained at another club. They always come crashing down. Also, look at his record with Blackpool over the period IH has been in charge. I'd suggest IH picked up more points per game despite having an absolute shambles of a squad to sort out.

Doesn't sound to me like a smart move. MM would also eat him for breakfast which is exactly what we don't need. If he went from Blackpool to another club and did well, he might be worth a punt at some stage. Right now, to gamble on someone whose never managed anywhere else, and certainly not with the pressure and expectation that's here, or a bunch of players that he won't command the respect of, would be suicidal.

SG = Train wreck season.

No contest in my view.

Absoloute bollox!! SG has got a team promoted from this division and unlike the clown has not had a team relegated to this division. What do you base your "thick as pigshit" statement on? Are you a personal associate of his?

Last edited by a moderator:

Not looking to get into a slanging match with you, NF but in my opinion, he is exactly what we need in our current plight.

Stick or twist, there is no guarantee of success. Whilst having some sympathy for IH, he is now too far down the road of this relegation to keep the majority of fans (and some might offer players too) on side. Also, it is fairly common knowledge that MM is doing his best to 'catch' a new sacrificial lamb...so if anyone, for me it would be Grayson: good record at Blackpool, got them - and kept them - up, excellent backroom staff, but I reiterate this would not guarantee us success, merely my opinion.

Not looking to get into a slanging match with you, NF but in my opinion, he is exactly what we need in our current plight.

Stick or twist, there is no guarantee of success. Whilst having some sympathy for IH, he is now too far down the road of this relegation to keep the majority of fans (and some might offer players too) on side. Also, it is fairly common knowledge that MM is doing his best to 'catch' a new sacrificial lamb...so if anyone, for me it would be Grayson: good record at Blackpool, got them - and kept them - up, excellent backroom staff, but I reiterate this would not guarantee us success, merely my opinion.

Nothing would guarantee success after the few years we have had, grayson would be a decent choice. He may well feel despite us being in a lower division than Blackpool currently he can take us further.

SG = Train wreck season.

No contest in my view.

Not actually true. On the day before our game at Ashton Gate, Blackpool were two places behind us with one less point earned.

Doesn't negate your argument though IMHO.

I don't disagree with you either. Grayson has done a good job and i think would be a good choice. I was talking in general not just aimed at your post.

Uninspiring but possibly safe choice - and preferable to Holloway. Mind you I'm pushed to think of a current manager or available ex-manager who isn't. Holloway v Peter Taylor would be a bit of a dilemna.

I was saying just the same thing yesterday.

It is not so much what Grayson has achieved so far, but what he represents - a development of the back room in the Liverpool style, of ex-players with a love for the club and the desire to put some pride back into wearing the badge.

BH I do not do slagging matches, just like to know peoples opinions and thank you for sharing yours.

I just feel that we need a little more experience in the situation we find ourselves in and SG is too wet behind the ears in that respect. I agree he has done a good job, but he has not been put under the pressures or expectations before that he would find here.
I think you hit the nail on the head with 'excellent backroom staff' though, the buck stops with the manager, but I feel that this is just as big a problem at LCFC.

I was saying just the same thing yesterday.

It is not so much what Grayson has achieved so far, but what he represents - a development of the back room in the Liverpool style, of ex-players with a love for the club and the desire to put some pride back into wearing the badge.

Am i right in thinking that Steve Thompson is his assistant?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669