Money Gift

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very valid point.

People will find anything to moan about :icon_lol: Someones trying to give me thousands of pounds, what a nightmare :icon_roll:)

You wouldnt even let them finish the sentence before you were snatching their hand off :icon_lol::icon_lol:

They do indeed.

Its just cost over £2000 in Lawyers fees to get my parents will set out so as to reduce inheritance tax. It will be just my luck the tories get in and scrap it now.

If my daughter didn't need/want the money i'd gracefully accept that.

I shouldn't be made to feel bad for not accepting it.(i don't mean by you guys)

We don't need the money. I've worked hard to be able to afford the houses we are going after, we don't need the helping hand.

Basically i'm a proud person, i know if we buy a place with his money everytime i come home i feel like it isnt fully my house.

Her dad said that aswell, until he saw who she was looking to live with :icon_wink

Let your missus take the money drew. If you don't want it to go towards the house, she can buy a spanking new car or, as you said, put the kids through a decent school (for a term or two that is)

From the other side, though I'm not particularly well off, I have helped out 2 of my kids setting up home. (the third is still too young, but I expect his day will come).

I've done it on the basis of "is there anything you are going to have to scrimp on?" If they turned it down, fair enough, they'd have got it in the end anyway.

It all depends on the overall relationship - I accept that for some people they would feel permenantly beholden. Mine wouldn't - they don't even remember my birthday without strong reminders from Mrs G.

It's times like this that I feel blessed that my parents have told my brothers and I that they are SKI Parents.

Ask yourself this Drew...... he is not giving you the money he is giving it to his daughter. You only benefit from it because you are with his daughter.

I would take the money and look upon it as your wife / Girlfriends contribution to costs of setting a new or bigger house up. There will be no strings attatched and you will not be in debt to anyone. Just make sure he does not die within seven years of giving it to you otherwise you will have a good chunk of tax to pay on it.

The way property has gone over the years soon it will be near on impossible for anyone to buy a house without some sort of help

I think that's my take on it too.

If you refuse would it cause problems between your g/f and her dad?

When I got married (straight out of university) we had nothing. My grandparents bought us all sorts as very generous presents to set up the house we'd bought. I still have much of it 20 years later and it reminds me of them whenever I see it. I think it gave them great pleasure to be able to help out their family using money they'd worked hard to get - plus it stopped the govt getting it in inheritence tax.

I think you can accept it and still feel pride in your own achievements.

My Mum and Dad never had the money to give to me but I'd prefer to earn the money myself rather than be given it,maybe I'm just old fashioned.I may not have a big house and all the Mod Cons etc but what I have I have paid for myself through my own graft.I'd like to give my Mum and Dad money rather than they give it me

Last edited:
Seriously Drew if you don't take it, I think you should set-up a fund.
Whoever scores TBFC's first ever winning goal gets the lot.
Might motivate us. :icon_lol:
Alternatively give it to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Blackburn 00
2Bristol City00
3Burnley00
4Cardiff City00
5Coventry City00
6Derby00