More religion bashing

Status
Not open for further replies.
True enough, but will you accept that religion is only a very minor factor in the troubles?

I understand your point, but the fact is religion created the circumstances that led to the situation in the first place and ultimately provided the impetus for the head-bangers to drive the killing & murder on.

Whether you find him smug or not is irrelevant, Pat Condell is a modern day philosopher.

I don't care what he does for a living, he's still a self satisfied wanker.

I have a considered opinion on virtually every subject imaginable. I don't however post them on youtube so that everyone can admire my brilliance.

I have enough self awareness to know that nobody gives a shit.

Last edited:

I have a considered opinion on virtually every subject imaginable. I don't however post them on youtube so that everyone can admire my brilliance.

He is a stand up comic who uses religion and atheism as his subject matter for humour, he uses youtube to promote himself in the same way as any other comedian does.

His shows must be a ****ing hoot.

Bill Hicks and George Carlin is one of the most influential comedians of all-time and they did tons of stuff slagging off religion. Really, really funny stuff. No reason why athiests can't be funny

Pat Condell interview with the Freethinker

The Freethinker: Your first Youtube video was a response to the Blasphemy Challenge. Was this your first foray into the world of internet video? If so, did you imagine that it would snowball like it did?
Pat Condell: Yes, it was. I didn’t know what to expect. I was looking for ways to publicise my stand-up show when I heard about the Blasphemy Challenge. It looked like fun, so I devised a little rant about how much I deny the holy spirit (quite a lot, as it happens), made the video in my garden shed and posted it on YouTube. The positive response convinced me that this was a medium I should explore further.

As for my opposition to religion, it’s not about theology - I couldn’t care less whether God exists or not - it’s a civil rights issue. I believe everyone should be free to determine their own experience in life and not have it imposed by someone else. We don’t need our reality filtered through religious dogma any more than we need spring water adulterated with chemicals.

Who's trying to impose anything on him?

PS. I don't have a problem with jokes about religion, I've laughed at Bill Hicks and Dave Allen. I just didn't think Pat Condell was very funny.

Religious groups getting treated differently to any other groups by the media etc?

what a strange thing to say.

what a strange thing to say.

How is it?
The media tip-toe around religious groups, afraid of offending them.

**** 'em, if they are going to peddle fairy tales as absolute truth, corrupting innocent minds, then they deserve to be offended.

Sharia law being recognised by UK courts?

I'd actually agree with you there, although I don't think it could be imposed on anyone without their agreement. Perhaps our resident law student could clarify the position.

How is it?
The media tip-toe around religious groups, afraid of offending them.

The BBC seem to go out of their way to offend Christian groups, they are sensitive to other religions though, agreed.

I don't have a problem with people hating religion, it's more people hating the religious I have difficulties with. People have a right to be judged as individuals. Just because there may have been some atrocities during the crusades 800 years ago doesn't mean that somebody who goes to church every Sunday should be considered an evil monster.

I'd actually agree with you there, although I don't think it could be imposed on anyone without their agreement. Perhaps our resident law student could clarify the position.

The BBC seem to go out of their way to offend Christian groups, they are sensitive to other religions though, agreed.

I don't have a problem with people hating religion, it's more people hating the religious I have difficulties with. People have a right to be judged as individuals. Just because there may have been some atrocities during the crusades 800 years ago doesn't mean that somebody who goes to church every Sunday should be considered an evil monster.

Silver? As far as I know he is still chasing ambulances.

Quite right, but their beliefs can and should be regarded as evil :icon_bigg I can't speak for anyone else, but I have a real problem with people who use religion as their guide, and find it very difficult to even associate with them let alone respect them. There's a whole branch of my family tree I wouldn't really miss if they were snapped off by a passing kid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669