NFL 2011 Season (plus NCAA stuff too for anyone else who watches it too)

Status
Not open for further replies.

pork pie fox

For those not interested in American Football, please place this thread on ignore :icon_wink

For those of us interested, what are peoples' thoughts as we start the season?

I assume Miles Away was not too happy with the result yesterday but pretty ecstatic with Cam Newton's performance, although it's got to help having Steve Smith as a target. Big wins for Jets, Packers & Ravens in the big match-ups and some other impressive performances (Eagles, Lions & Bears in particular). Even the 49ers won :038:

The Colts look (predictably) as if they'll really struggle without Manning, although if you build a whole team around someone and your offence works on him directing the play on the pitch, it's not surprising if they struggle when he's out injured.

NCAA (I assume I'll be almost on my own here) looks interesting this year. Really enjoyed Michigan v Notre Dame game and Alabama looked impressive. Wisconsin looked pretty good from what I've seen of their first two games as well. Really looking forward to Oklahoma at Florida State next weekend now.

NCAA (I assume I'll be almost on my own here) looks interesting this year. Really enjoyed Michigan v Notre Dame game and Alabama looked impressive. Wisconsin looked pretty good from what I've seen of their first two games as well. Really looking forward to Oklahoma at Florida State next weekend now.

I watched the Sun Devils' victory over a ranked team, can't remember who. The whole event I found impressive. Then I researched the rules/organisation etc. and realised NCAA is a bit bobbins in that sense.

My bro reckons the Ravens were impressive last night. I was disappointed to see the Packs let so many points go against them.

I watched the Sun Devils' victory over a ranked team, can't remember who. The whole event I found impressive. Then I researched the rules/organisation etc. and realised NCAA is a bit bobbins in that sense.

My bro reckons the Ravens were impressive last night. I was disappointed to see the Packs let so many points go against them.

Arizona State beat Missouri, that was also a good game I agree.

You should watch the NCAA stuff for the spectacle of it all and the actual game itself (provided it's a good match-up) as they're often amazing spectacles as you say. Two colleges with massive history like Michigan and Notre Dame, with over 114000 attendance is fantastic

One of the problems is (depending on your viewpoint) the lack of a credible way of deciding the national champion. Whereas NCAA basketball has a fantastic tournament set up, the American Football equivalent is a series of bowl games where opinion-based polls determine who qualifies (note - this is a very simplistic explanation). Another problem could look like the conference set-up of their sports (all effectively separate competitions) but I don't mind that as each has their own character and history. Non-conference match-ups can then also be pivotal to how the entire view of a conference can appear.

I'm not a huge fan of MLB, NHL and also NBA as the regular seasons are far too long and they play so many games that they can almost afford to lose a game and not care too much. NFL (16 games), NCAA football (12ish games) and college basketball (32ish) are much more competitive as each game is vital to their season.

Last edited:
Right then, seeing as how Miles Away is back from his vacances maybe someone will talk to me in here now.

49ers are way ahead of where I thought they'd be :038: get in there Mr Harbaugh

Building up nicely to Green Bay v Detroit in a few weeks. Definitely the most impressive two teams so far in the NFL.

Much as it pains to say me, Nick Saban has got Alabama looking awesome once again in the NCAA. I watched their games against Arkansas and Florida the last two weeks and they were quality. I'm really looking forward to their game against LSU in a few weeks.

Surely the game of the weekend this weekend is Pats vs Jets..

Maybe I have a slightly biased view as I follow the Patriots, and follow is used in a very loose sense, as I haven't really watched much of this season.

It is possible to Sky+ the Redzone. :038:

I ask this to Miles Away and those Stateside - What do you think Joe Paterno should do? I'm genuinely interested in your opinions but it seems to me that his position is near enough untenable.

I ask this to Miles Away and those Stateside - What do you think Joe Paterno should do? I'm genuinely interested in your opinions but it seems to me that his position is near enough untenable.

I guess this one has been answered.

Just found this...sorry lads.

Paterno? My fiancee is a Penn State graduate. Her entire family are Penn State through and through.

Long story short...they are more than a little delusional about the entire fiasco and it all vaguely resembles some kind of weird cult. The rioting by the students the night of the firing was particularly distasteful.

He should go (and did)...anyone involved should really. It's awful.

If that story was of interest google this term: Bernie Fine.

Last edited:
If that story was of interest google this term: Bernie Fine.

Don't worry, I'm following this one too, I don't watch NBA but I do watch college basketball. Although the situation is slightly different to PSU, Boeheim didn't leave himself a lot of room to manoeuvre with his initial statement did he.

Don't worry, I'm following this one too, I don't watch NBA but I do watch college basketball. Although the situation is slightly different to PSU, Boeheim didn't leave himself a lot of room to manoeuvre with his initial statement did he.

I was shocked when he initially made such emphatic comments to be honest...will be the end of him at 'cuse I'd have thought.

Also Pork Pie. Was lucky enough to attend Colts-Panthers in Indy this week

You can console yourself with the fact that you'll probably be one of the few people to see Curtis Painter start in the NFL :icon_bigg

I was shocked when he initially made such emphatic comments to be honest...will be the end of him at 'cuse I'd have thought.

I know he was fairly defiant in his press conference after their win against EMU a couple of days ago (I expect a Rod Hull joke here), but I don't see how he can stay after what he said if Fine gets done for his alleged crimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566