Norway

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would you care to show us where he was baiting anybody? He offered a (valid) point that there are equally upsetting events elsewhere in the world that we pay little or no attention to. He didn't at any point question the distressing nature of this particular event.

I don't feel baited and to my knowledge so far I don't know anyone of the victims. And yes, Darfur/Somalia deserves their own threads but I can't find any

How did I diminish it?Pretty sure I agreed with you and went on to pass comment about other event around the world which are more horrific but no one cares about because the people involved aren't white.
The Japs aren't white either but that was given plenty focus, methinks it's more a class issue than race.

Why do these events always bring out the worst in some people, I have enjoyed your wit for some time but feel you're wide of the mark here.

I appreciate you don't feel the need to don black and weep, but do you not think a bit of respectful silence would be more apt than baiting two people who may actually have been affected by this tradegy.

If someone is genuinely effected by events involving death to those they know and love then maybe an Internet forum is not the place to seek consolation?

I was venturing an opinion about how "people" treat disaster in different ways. Re-read my post. I wasn't baiting people but if I am going to be taken to task then I will respond.

And then there's always the ignore option.

Back to the issue more info on the gunman is coming out. Among other extreme views, he admires the English Defence League and had been hoping to be able to establish a similar organisation in Norway.

Would you care to show us where he was baiting anybody? He offered a (valid) point that there are equally upsetting events elsewhere in the world that we pay little or no attention to. He didn't at any point question the distressing nature of this particular event.
Why don't you pay attention to events in Africa? Do they not interest you? There's enough information available about them if you look, so presumably it just isn't a subject that you care about. Or is that not what you meant?
Did I? Did I really?
Until your post nobody had mentioned Darfur or Somalia. At best it was irrelevant (out of character for you, really), at worst tasteless and poorly considered (surely somebody else is using your login).

Anyway, since you raised the issue, why do you think nobody gives a shit about Darfur or Somalia? How do we go about showing the world we care? Do we write poems about it? Do we make zany, "hilarious" comments on internet forums to show our support? Or do we take time off work to rescue people from local terrorists / murderers and feed starving kids?

Last edited:
Why don't you pay attention to events in Africa? Do they not interest you? There's enough information available about them if you look, so presumably it just isn't a subject that you care about. Or is that not what you meant?

I don't see how you took that from what I said?

Latest news is that the police fear that there was a second gunman at Utoya. This is based on what eye witness' have told. Anders Behring Breivik was also seen talking in a head set while the shooting went on.

I don't see how you took that from what I said?

Look again at what you wrote. And then (probably) answer "no" to BM's final question in the piece you quoted.

Did I? Did I really?

You may not have meant to; you comment might not have been designed to. But many people will have read it as 'trumping', just as G F P did and just as I did. At best your comment was ill-timed; if you want to draw attention to that other tragedy, why not open a thread about it - and hope that nobody tries to draw attention away from it.

Another arrest has just been made in connection with Utoya incident. No confirmation yet that this was the alleged 2nd gunman

Last edited:
I was not personally offended either as all my friends in Oslo were ok. I was just a bit touched after I had read that he had called the children to him, saying he was from the police before starting the massacre and then going after those who tried to hide in the water - I suppose it was a kneejerk emotive response as you say, Mawsley, and I think it's great that some people see this in perspective but please don't expect everyone to do that so early after this shocking event. And especially not in a mocking tone as I actually thought you used.

It is not. I meant that as a forum, as with society, there is little public presentation of these other atrocities.

With the media being full of reports of the scurrilous press and the corrupt police, it's been a difficult week to get any other news into the public gaze.

With the media being full of reports of the scurrilous press and the corrupt police, it's been a difficult week to get any other news into the public gaze.

Ironic really that we can't get any decent press because it's full of shit press.

I was not personally offended either as all my friends in Oslo were ok. I was just a bit touched after I had read that he had called the children to him, saying he was from the police before starting the massacre and then going after those who tried to hide in the water - I suppose it was a kneejerk emotive response as you say, Mawsley, and I think it's great that some people see this in perspective but please don't expect everyone to do that so early after this shocking event. And especially not in a mocking tone as I actually thought you used.

It wasn't mate, I'm sorry you took it that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669