Norway

Status
Not open for further replies.
Almost as amazing as your pointless belligerence and frequent pedantry?
You make me sound like some sort of Longcliffe / Spion hybrid. I had to look up 'belligerence' to see if there was a definition I wasn't aware of, but didn't find one. It seems I've stumbled into the trap of replying to one of your wacky, utterly irrelevant comments. Fantastic.

Until your post nobody had mentioned Darfur or Somalia. At best it was irrelevant (out of character for you, really), at worst tasteless and poorly considered (surely somebody else is using your login).

I don't agree that it was irrelevant.

Although people may not think that it is the time or the place, I think that the point Mawsley raises is a relevant one. The press and public are incredibly prone to being fixated with singular stories of tragedy or abuse, whilst there are much larger atrocities taking place at the same time. Irrespective of race and location, the coverage of the East African crisis for example has been minimal, whilst this 'exceptional' event will get huge coverage for several days and every aspect of this suspect's life will be investigated.

I don't agree that it was irrelevant.

Although people may not think that it is the time or the place, I think that the point Mawsley raises is a relevant one. The press and public are incredibly prone to being fixated with singular stories of tragedy or abuse, whilst there are much larger atrocities taking place at the same time. Irrespective of race and location, the coverage of the East African crisis for example has been minimal, whilst this 'exceptional' event will get huge coverage for several days and every aspect of this suspect's life will be investigated.

No thread for it in here either :102:. So instead of nagging about what's worst, maybe we should put up an own thread for the East African crisis.

No thread for it in here either :102:. So instead of nagging about what's worst, maybe we should put up an own thread for the East African crisis.

True but it will die a death unless there is associated news coverage. :102:

I'm not sure a thread is what's necessary (although I understand your point).

My interpretation of Maws' post was commenting on city faithful's comment (or the wider population's) about the horrific-ness of this incident; and I doubt that a similar response would have been made in an EA crisis thread. But that's up for debate.

True but it will die a death unless there is associated news coverage. :102:

Why would that be? Does nobody know what is happening in the horn of Africa?

I've got a feeling that the real difference is that famine in Africa has come to be expected, whereas the kind of thing that has happened in Oslo will always come as a surprise.

What happened in Oslo should become expected?? I hope not

But this kind of incident will always happen. It's just not known where and when.

What happened in Oslo should become expected?? I hope not

Although my reply was badly phrased, I was coming at it from the other angle. Although African (and other) crises appear to be happening constantly (an issue in itself!), I don't think that enough coverage is given to the issues, which is exemplified by the ott coverage of any other disaster, media issue or feline being put into a bin.

I would expect that a young teenager would be able to tell you that something had happened in Norway over the weekend. I doubt they would be aware of any current issues in Africa, despite the immense number of people being affected.

I understood Mawsley's point too, and I'm sure he didn't mean to offend anyone. What I feel though is that that response is usually contraproductive to both causes - it seems like "why are you sad, look what happened here" and then you forget about both of them. But Mawsley made clear that's not what he meant so fair enough.

Anyway, talking doesn't do much good shortterm anyway so maybe we can raise some money for the famine in this thread? I'll start, 10 pounds to UNICEF - just hope al-Shabaab keep their hands off.

Although my reply was badly phrased, I was coming at it from the other angle. Although African (and other) crises appear to be happening constantly (an issue in itself!), I don't think that enough coverage is given to the issues, which is exemplified by the ott coverage of any other disaster, media issue or feline being put into a bin.

I would expect that a young teenager would be able to tell you that something had happened in Norway over the weekend. I doubt they would be aware of any current issues in Africa, despite the immense number of people being affected.
Maybe I lack perspective on this because I actively go looking for information rather than waiting to be spoon fed, or maybe I expect too much of people, but I'd be very surprised if there were many people who didn't know about the major stories in Africa.

I understood Mawsley's point too, and I'm sure he didn't mean to offend anyone. What I feel though is that that response is usually contraproductive to both causes - it seems like "why are you sad, look what happened here" and then you forget about both of them. But Mawsley made clear that's not what he meant so fair enough.

Anyway, talking doesn't do much good shortterm anyway so maybe we can raise some money for the famine in this thread? I'll start, 10 pounds to UNICEF - just hope al-Shabaab keep their hands off.

Well said and done! :038:

Last edited:
Here he is

The African issue was what I was referring to.
Trouble is people have less disposable income due to the recession and as Swede Fox mentions people are unsure that the money will not get where it should and will only end up in the hands of those who will use it to buy guns etc.

Here he is

The African issue was what I was referring to.
Trouble is people have less disposable income due to the recession and as Swede Fox mentions people are unsure that the money will not get where it should and will only end up in the hands of those who will use it to buy guns etc.

Ah! Geldof... Of course :icon_redf

Maybe I lack perspective on this because I actively go looking for information rather than waiting to be spoon fed, or maybe I expect too much of people, but I'd be very surprised if there were many people who didn't know about the major stories in Africa.

Really? You can't know many people then. I would wager the circa 7m readers of the NOTW won't have any idea for instance. I don't have much idea through my own ignorance. I would be surprised if half the people I know would know much about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669