Pearson Out

Status
Not open for further replies.
The candidates are mouthwatering,****ing idiots.

What's your problem with the Premier League manager of the year 2013/2014 who has never been relegated in his career?

From his previous four jobs:

Stoke - 1st spell - (On joining), Pulis immediately found himself in a relegation battle and it looked likely that the club would be relegated . . . Stoke avoided relegation on the final day.

Plymouth - Pulis managed to turn around a floundering team.

Stoke - 2nd spell - Pulis guided Stoke City to promotion to the Premier League on the final day of the season. Upon promotion, Pulis admitted the need to strengthen his squad but he also made it clear that the club would not go 'over the top' with spending . . (and) secured their Premier League survival. Pulis has received much praise for his work with Stoke on a limited budget, in particular his achievement of keeping them in the Premier League. He was mentioned as a possible candidate for the 2008–09 Premier League manager of the year award.

Palace - nuff said.

The only serious complaint can be against his style of play, which is about winning rather than trying to play prettily. Just like MON in fact and none of us had a problem with that. Anyway, have you watched some of our matches recently? Long balls to Ulloa or into channels for Vardy are just about our only idea. We're playing ugly losing football at the moment.

Stoke would 'not go over the top' with spending - sorry that's bollocks. They are in the highest spenders of the Premier League over the past five years all propped up by Peter Coates of Bet 365.

Just read Pulis had a net spend of £80 million.

Last edited:
Pullis has got a good CV, no doubt about it.

Rather than replace NP, could he not be brought in to work with NP?

'Fickle boneheads' is a tad unfair

It's better than what I originally put but changed at the last minute..."fickle c**ts"

Last edited:
Stoke would 'not go over the top' with spending - sorry that's bollocks. They are in the highest spenders of the Premier League over the past five years all propped up by Peter Coates of Bet 365.

Just read Pulis had a net spend of £80 million.

That's correct. His annual net spend in the Premier League is £15m a season. For this, he builds a strong, competitive team unearthing some absolute gems like Begovic (£3.5m), N'Zonzi (£3m), Shawcross (£2m). NP has a net spend of £10m this season (so far) and not a great deal to show for it.

Do you not think that Pulis's record is exceptional value for money in the Premier League? Any sensible owner would take this like a shot. It's exactly what we need someone to do.

Last edited:
It's better than what I originally put but changed at the last minute..."fickle c**ts"

Why are people advocating a change called 'fickle'?

Fickle means to change your loyalties or affections frequently. If, like me, you've never had any affection or loyalty to NP, there is no fickleness. I respected the job he did last season but I never expected him to do well this year. I just hoped he'd be better than he's proved to be.

If someone who did support NP has now changed their mind, this isn't fickle either. He has been at the club for a very long time over two spells. It's hardly a knee-jerk reaction to decide that a change would be beneficial. We've seen him in action for over 250 matches. There is nothing about making a judgement on this that is fickle. He's always been tactically inept. He's always been incapable of adapting or organising us for set pieces.

Are those maintaining NP should stay the opposite of fickle? Dogged, stationary, changeless, invariable? That's not something to aspire to be.

I think the chances of bringing in better players in January are poor. The business should have been done in the summer - and it wasn't.

For me it comes down to who is likely to b e best at organising a squad of mainly Championship standard players sufficiently well to scrape survival. because i was so scathing about Pearson and proved very wrong about his ability to get us promoted I am in difficulty in saying we should get rid now. However, this should be his final week of trying to stopping the rot and i think the owners should be sounding out Pulis or his agent right now.

Pearson has lost the plot but we can't be confident that any one else will keep us up. If possible, the owners should say to Pulis ' keep us up with mainly what we'vegot and if you do we'll have a proper player recruitment campaign next summer'. It's all going to be very costly - if we stay up they have to spend big; if we are relegated we lose millions upon millions and are stuck with a load of vastly overpaid mediocre players (and staff?).

Do you not think that Pulis's record is exceptional value for money in the Premier League? Any sensible owner would take this like a shot. It's exactly what we need someone to do.

Not really. You've handpicked his best signings. £8 million for Kenwye Jones, £5.5 m for Dave Kitson. In fact his first season of signings was a total disaster.

Didnt have a great start to the season. Maybe we are enduring something similar?

Question. Would we do a 'Southampton' if we dismissed 'our' Nigel?

Allardyce and Pardew lads, that is all. Keep the faith.

What does that mean? (Sorry, that looks far more aggressive in print than it sounded in my head!) Are you guaranteeing that Nigel Pearson will keep us up? Of course not.

By your argument, no team should ever change a manager (perhaps with the exception of the Leeds/Watford scenario: i.e. before a manager has had time to accomplish anything at a team). I would agree that this belief that we only have to get Pulis to say, "Yes", and we're looking at a top half finish, is rash but, unquestioning commitment is just as dangerous. Pearson needs to convince the owners that he has a plan. It would be nice were he to convince the fans too, but we have to accept that communication with the media is not one of his strong points.

What does that mean? (Sorry, that looks far more aggressive in print than it sounded in my head!) Are you guaranteeing that Nigel Pearson will keep us up? Of course not.

By your argument, no team should ever change a manager (perhaps with the exception of the Leeds/Watford scenario: i.e. before a manager has had time to accomplish anything at a team). I would agree that this belief that we only have to get Pulis to say, "Yes", and we're looking at a top half finish, is rash but, unquestioning commitment is just as dangerous. Pearson needs to convince the owners that he has a plan. It would be nice were he to convince the fans too, but we have to accept that communication with the media is not one of his strong points.

My point is changing the manager doesn't always turn things round, particularly changing one who has had such success for us.

Nobody can guarantee that Pulis will keep us up so I have no idea why you are asking me to guarantee NP will. Yet everyone seems to think Pulis is gods gift to management.

Look at Pardew, one sloppy win is all it takes and you're all of a sudden a top half side with a few more decent results. Who wants him out now? Allardyce is the same, everyone wanted him gone last season and they kept faith and look at them now.

I'm not saying blindly back the manager, but we've barely played a third of the season, on a bit of a bad run and most on here would like him gone? It really is mad. I know it's a results business but NP deserves so much more respect than what he's getting here. The guy has dragged us out of the doldrums, not once but twice, had a record breaking season last season and is barely given a chance this season as soon as things start going wrong? Madness.

Keep NP.

The only serious complaint can be against his style of play, which is about winning rather than trying to play prettily.
Which, regardless of all discussions about 'attractive' football and so on, is literally the only thing that matters. People get too caught up in what the football looks like rather than what it actually does. I'm reminded of the brand of supposedly pretty (I actually found it tedious) and ultimately unsuccessful football played under Paulo Sousa. Even after he was rightly sacked, the week we conceded ten goals in five days and saw Matty Fryatt sent off and Jack Hobbs doing a solitary lap of the pitch in floods of tears, an old acquaintance said to me with a straight face "we were going in the right direction"! I very nearly slapped him in the mouth.

Why are people advocating a change called 'fickle'?

Fickle means to change your loyalties or affections frequently. If, like me, you've never had any affection or loyalty to NP, there is no fickleness. I respected the job he did last season but I never expected him to do well this year. I just hoped he'd be better than he's proved to be.

If someone who did support NP has now changed their mind, this isn't fickle either. He has been at the club for a very long time over two spells. It's hardly a knee-jerk reaction to decide that a change would be beneficial. We've seen him in action for over 250 matches. There is nothing about making a judgement on this that is fickle. He's always been tactically inept. He's always been incapable of adapting or organising us for set pieces.

Are those maintaining NP should stay the opposite of fickle? Dogged, stationary, changeless, invariable? That's not something to aspire to be.

Someone with some sense. Good post.

It seems as if changing the manager after a run of 7/8 poor results is the norm amongst fans nowadays as well.

We all know there are impatient chairmen. This club needs to continue with the stability and infrastructure being built by Nigel. You can't abandon ship when the going gets a little tough.

Why are there claims that the recent performances is how we truly play and the first five was just a one off run? Maybe it's the other way round.

People need to have a chance to learn and get better and develop their skills. Would you like it if you were performing in your new job, which was a step up from your previous one and 3 months into it your job is at risk? If that was the case most people would be out of a job.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670