Relegation?

Do you think we're going down?

• Yes

Votes: 47 55.3%
  • No

Votes: 38 44.7%

• Total voters

I disagree there. Within the context of where they've come from, where they are and relative priorities, I think they've done the club proud.
Definitely the brightest spot on a grim season for the entire club. The women's side ate now set up for genuine progress, kneecapping for the failure of the boys is bizarre

I genuinely can't believe how blind people are to how utterly shit we are.

People at work still telling me we'll stay up ffs.

I genuinely can't believe how blind people are to how utterly shit we are.

People at work still telling me we'll stay up ffs.

Yep, friends of mine were saying that until about two games ago.

Come on, let's do something different.... Let's be CITY! (Manchester City) for the last games.
How hard can it be?

All I ask is an organised defence, two up top and 100% VISIBLE effort.

A couple of wins would be nice but no point on being a greedy **** is there?

Biggest concern I have for this club going forward is the worry that Top and Co. weren’t asleep at the wheel but actually drank the BR Koolaid even when it turned sour. There’s nothing to stop this cycle being repeated ad nauseam based on either their total incompetence and /or naivety. I simply don’t trust the current leadership team to know the difference between a charlatan and a decent gaffer. Don’t think they have a scooby and this can’t / won’t change unless Top suddenly recognizes his own limitations (he hasn’t yet) or we hit the proverbial lottery by sheer fluke. Not currently liking our chances now or into the future.
This is the real worry.

We need to bring in new senior management.

It's a difficult one in all respects. Does anyone have a relegation clause? Are they industry standard and always put in? If so then this helps us adjust.

Then who to sell. Because some of our squad would destroy the Championship. I accept that Tielemans, Cags, and Amartey have gone. We need to sell Madders and he'd go anyway as he is a top six PL player. This frees up £15m - £17m a year in wages plus £40m we get for Madders?

But what about the others? We can't get rid of everyone. Barnes, Kelechi, Castagne, Ricardo, Ndidi, Mendy, Praet, Daka, Faes? With the right coaching and effort, this is a team that tears up the Championship. Barnes is probably the most wanted of the lot with 12 PL goals, but he'd be essential in getting us back up.

Vardy is a whole subject within itself. You could talk about an MLS payday etc, but he does have a family and seems comfortable where he is. Would he take a wage cut? If he does go, he'd need to go far away. Watching him play for another British team would be gut-wrenching. Also, I think he's vital for us to come back up.

I assume we're going to assault to come straight back up. It's not as easy as that but the better squad we have, the more chance. Talks about cuts here and there, but we're gonna have to risk it, minimal cuts as possible and get out of the Championship with as much effort and talent as possible.

Sell Madders, maybe one or two more and plan a return for next year.

It's a difficult one in all respects. Does anyone have a relegation clause? Are they industry standard and always put in? If so then this helps us adjust.

Then who to sell. Because some of our squad would destroy the Championship. I accept that Tielemans, Cags, and Amartey have gone. We need to sell Madders and he'd go anyway as he is a top six PL player. This frees up £15m - £17m a year in wages plus £40m we get for Madders?

But what about the others? We can't get rid of everyone. Barnes, Kelechi, Castagne, Ricardo, Ndidi, Mendy, Praet, Daka, Faes? With the right coaching and effort, this is a team that tears up the Championship. Barnes is probably the most wanted of the lot with 12 PL goals, but he'd be essential in getting us back up.

Vardy is a whole subject within itself. You could talk about an MLS payday etc, but he does have a family and seems comfortable where he is. Would he take a wage cut? If he does go, he'd need to go far away. Watching him play for another British team would be gut-wrenching. Also, I think he's vital for us to come back up.

I assume we're going to assault to come straight back up. It's not as easy as that but the better squad we have, the more chance. Talks about cuts here and there, but we're gonna have to risk it, minimal cuts as possible and get out of the Championship with as much effort and talent as possible.

I do hate to say this but you are living in dreamland if you think we won’t actively look to shift almost everyone….even at loans where we are paying half of their wages still.

And honestly, they should. These players can’t even motivate themselves to play in the premier league…they’d be just as bad or worse in the league below

I was thinking similar to that yesterday but then I remembered watching Danny Ward and Daniel Amartey play about 30 games each this season!

You're right though in that it is no 1 persons fault we are going down.

It's just been an epic failure from pretty much every one associated with the first team squad.

And you could probably chuck the u18s, U21/23s and the women's team in too as they have all been complete shite this year.

Even the medical and fitness side has been a complete disaster for 2-3yrs now.

It's just been a show of spectacular complacency from everyone involved in the club.

The best platform for long term success (top half pl) the club could have ever wished for has been completely pissed up the wall because we thought we were one of the big boys already and it couldn't happen to us.
I agree BR can not be blamed for everything however, a huge portion of it is down to him and his team IMO. Do we look to replicate what brought us sucess? It could be argued that we were able to take greater risk as we were in league 1 and the pressure was less.

I agree our situation is born out of incompetence throughout.

Youri Tielemans, Daniel Amartey, Caglar Soyuncu, Nampalys Mendy, Jonny Evans, Ryan Bertrand and Ayoze Perez are all out of contract, I would assume this will be a significant reduction in wages.

Madders should fetch around 60 million even if we are in the championship as for Barnes he will easily get 20 million plus, that will be significant indent into the reported 95 million loss. This will still leave us with a bloody strong team to promote and Nacho, Daka, Vardy will have a field day in the championship.

Our Squad has been far too bloated under BR and has always needed a trim, the fact we have players that know they will be leaving at the end of the season has probably been the reason for a complete lack desire or grit for the relegation battle.

I do hate to say this but you are living in dreamland if you think we won’t actively look to shift almost everyone….even at loans where we are paying half of their wages still.

And honestly, they should. These players can’t even motivate themselves to play in the premier league…they’d be just as bad or worse in the league below

Quite.

It's actually starting to really annoy me. If it was as simple as losing a few players and rebuild, what's the big deal? Hurray for relegation.

We lost almost £100m last season despite finishing 8th and being in Europe. Our losses this season are going to be eye watering, let alone the horror of next season.

I'll say it again. Everyone will be for sale. Everything has to be massively cut back. And even then, we're absolutely completely and utterly ****ed.

From the telegraph​

Newcastle to reignite move for Leicester's James Maddison

Exclusive: The playmaker is on Newcastle's summer shortlist as the club look to add up to five quality players ahead of next season.
Newcastle United will renew their interest in England international James Maddison this summer after the Leicester City player was once again given a glowing endorsement by the club’s recruitment team.

Sources have told Telegraph Sport that Newcastle will make an offer to Maddison at the end of the season but will only continue to pursue the player if they feel he is keen to make the move, rather than view it as a backup option while he waits for others to bid. One of the core principles of Newcastle’s recruitment policy is to sign players who really want to play for the club as they do not want anyone who is not going to be totally committed once they get there.

Although Newcastle have been led to believe Maddison would be receptive to the idea of making the move to the North East, there are others interested and he has not given any firm indication of where he wants to play next season That is understandable, given Leicester’s predicament. The Foxes are third from bottom of the table following their 5-3 defeat to Fulham earlier this week and still have to travel to Newcastle before the end of the campaign. Maddison wants to help them avoid relegation and will contemplate his future until June.

However, having been messed around last summer when they were encouraged to make a bid for the player only for Leicester to reject their £50 million offer, Newcastle know there is likely to be competition in the race to sign him.

Leicester are resigned to selling their best player, who will be entering the final year of his contract, even if they manage to stay in the Premier League.

Maddison is a long term target of Newcastle manager Eddie Howe, but as with Alexander Isak, the recruitment team are unanimous in their belief he is the type of player the club need to maintain their upward trajectory next season.

Maddison has endured injury frustration this season but at the age of 26 has the ideal blend of experience and room to improve under Howe. It is felt he will add a creative spark to Newcastle’s play, both from set pieces and open play, and will fit into their high energy, attacking style. Newcastle rely heavily on three players – Bruno Guimarares, Allan Saint-Maximin and Isak – to open up deep-lying defences and as their status rises, teams are going to make themselves more difficult to break down whenever they face Howe’s side. The more creative option the better.

Interestingly, Maddison discussed making the move to Newcastle during the World Cup with goalkeeper Nick Pope and striker Callum Wilson. Although the conversations were lighthearted, both Newcastle players painted a positive picture of life on Tyneside, both from a football and family perspective.

Newcastle target up to five quality additions​

As revealed by Telegraph Sport, Newcastle will be ambitious with their recruitment plans this summer and are targeting four or five elite players to add quality and depth to the squad.
The problem they have is the club’s wage structure makes it difficult to sign the most coveted players in the Premier League. Declan Rice and Mason Mount were also discussed earlier this year, but they would command wages well in excess of £200,000-a-week even if Newcastle had the money to sign them. Newcastle’s top earner, Kieran Trippier, is on around £120,000-a-week. Arsenal left back Kieran Tierney remains on the wanted list, as does Manchester United midfielder Scott McTominay and Chelsea’s Conor Gallagher, although no final decision has been made yet on whether to bid for them.

Chelsea’s bloated squad includes a number of players Newcastle admire but there is concern the London club – despite their desperation to trim their squad after spending around £600 million this year – will ask for ridiculously high fees if Newcastle want any of them.

Given their financial model and Financial Fair Play constraints, Newcastle know they will also have to look to Europe and beyond for potential targets who offer better value for money than established Premier League stars.

Nice’s France international midfielder Khephren Thuram is a relatively new name on their recruitment list, and at 22, would fit the model of signing promising young players. As are Borussia Monchengladbach’s Marcus Thuram and Bayer Leverkusen’s Moussa Diaby.

Newcastle supporters will have to appreciate that improving the overall quality of the squad is a must this summer with European football to navigate through next term, as well as two domestic cup competitions. Not every signing will be expected to go straight into the first team when they arrive, but add competition and cover. Howe has sensibly refused to be drawn into discussing transfer targets but several recruitment meetings have been held and a shortlist for each positional need has been drawn up. Barcelona’s Raphinha and Paris Saint-Germain’s Neymar are not on those lists.

Quite.

It's actually starting to really annoy me. If it was as simple as losing a few players and rebuild, what's the big deal? Hurray for relegation.

We lost almost £100m last season despite finishing 8th and being in Europe. Our losses this season are going to be eye watering, let alone the horror of next season.

I'll say it again. Everyone will be for sale. Everything has to be massively cut back. And even then, we're absolutely completely and utterly ****ed.
I think I sit somewhere between you and Thai on this one.

The situation is pretty dire and the leadership doesn't appear fit for purpose. You are right that all of our players will be available - and that the club should hope they can move as many as possible.

I don't think we are, yet, at existential threat levels, which I suspect you do. That said, I think we will be in big trouble if we don't somehow get back up in the first year or so (which I genuinely don't see happening).

We are the least relegation ready club to go down in a long time.

By sheer ability - Barnes, Vardy, Kelechi, Ricardo, Castagne, Souttar, Faes, Ndidi and Praet will tear apart the Championship.

But i get the worry - who's mindset is compromised? Rodgers talked about players with bad attitudes, who exactly are they?

My worry is that our "bouncebackability" is completely reduced if we don't have our squad of superior players. And make no mistake, they are superior players.

We need the above to stay, bring in new blood and ensure we have a manager who can get the attitude changed. That, IMO is a better option than getting rid of everyone and getting in an entirely new team.

By keeping the above, I believe we have a better shot at coming back than if we start totally fresh. Also important to note that part of my decision is that the less Susan et al has to decide on, in one large sweep, the better.

The more I think about this the more anger I'm developing for the people at the top of the club who have manufactured this situation through pure ineptitude and negligence.

We we're not prepared for a relegation fight and we aren't planning for a season in the Championship.

Club is ****ed

The more I think about this the more anger I'm developing for the people at the top of the club who have manufactured this situation through pure ineptitude and negligence.

We we're not prepared for a relegation fight and we aren't planning for a season in the Championship.

Club is ****ed

And these facts have been bleeding obvious to all of us since August and to those running the club for longer than that.

It's difficult to comprehend quite how ****ing thick Aiyawatt, Whelan and Rudkin are.

And these facts have been bleeding obvious to all of us since August and to those running the club for longer than that.

It's difficult to comprehend quite how ****ing thick Aiyawatt, Whelan and Rudkin are.
They have failed massively at their jobs and at least two of them should be ****ed off immediately and replaced with someone who knows that they are actually doing

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669
9Coventry City4664
10Preston 4663