Sheehan

Status
Not open for further replies.

PONTUS KAAMARK

Seeing as we have a thread about Hughes I thought we should have one for Sheehan.

I thought he was excellent today for a home debutant. Especially considering hes only 18 (or maybe 19).

His set pieces were a massive improvement on Williams sihty chipped efforts and he made every effort to get forward and cross the ball where possible.

He looked composed and calm and to be fair he didnt put a foot wrong and looked better than Gilbert.

One swallow doesnt make a summer but it was a really solid home debut.

Well done Alan, keep it up.

So would you keep him in the side? I think the LB position is a real problem for us, especially as we don't play with a natural LW either.

I'd keep him in the side too. He looked more solid and composed than Gilbert, and I'd argue that there is more potential there!!!

I'd also keep Dublin in the back four. He organised everything and cleaned up a few messes we got ourselves into!

alex said:
Are we being perhaps a tad hasty about Gilbert?

I think so. CL always said he was not the finished article and it would seem he is not match fit. ;)

alex said:
Are we being perhaps a tad hasty about Gilbert?

Short term we have a LB problem, long term I am not so sure.

I am not saying Gilbert should be ditched, I just think hes looked off the pace to start with. That could be down to a new club, moving a long way or just not yet understanding the pattern of play. Drop him for now and hopefully he will come back stronger.

At the minute I would stick with Sheehan. Hes going to make mistakes but he looks promising. Hopefully by the end of the season we will have two good quality young LB's.

Sheehan looks like that with a bit of practice he will be a useful set piece taker which is an added bonus.

Also Gilbert stated himself that he is not match fit so I don't think its fair to write him off.Hopefully both Sheehan and Gilbert will develope over this Season and we'll have some competition for the left back slot which is a problem position.sheehan sounded a bit 'shakey' at the beginning but seemed to improve as the game went on.

Like I said, short term we do have a problem at LB, but long term the picture looks abit more rosey. Gilbert, Sheehan could both turn out to be quality players.

No.6 Muzzy Izzet... said:
why is he not match fit at this early stage of the season? has he been injured or something?

Yes.

PONTUS KAAMARK said:
Like I said, short term we do have a problem at LB, but long term the picture looks abit more rosey. Gilbert, Sheehan could both turn out to be quality players.

Let's hope so. ;) :icon_lol:

I think the move happened just as both us and Plymouth got properly into pre season. it was a drawn out transfer so that probably affected the amount of training he was doing.

PONTUS KAAMARK said:
Seeing as we have a thread about Hughes I thought we should have one for Sheehan.

I thought he was excellent today for a home debutant. Especially considering hes only 18 (or maybe 19).

His set pieces were a massive improvement on Williams sihty chipped efforts and he made every effort to get forward and cross the ball where possible.

He looked composed and calm and to be fair he didnt put a foot wrong and looked better than Gilbert.

One swallow doesnt make a summer but it was a really solid home debut.

Well done Alan, keep it up.

Yea sure Sheehan did well today, but don't get carried away! The guy made plenty of mistakes and towards the end of the first half his confidence was clearly dipping. He was often getting caught in possestion or his passes were getting intercepted.

Granted these are things that can be worked on, but against a better team Sheehans mistakes would of been punished! Not to mention he liked to hit and hope up the left, with a degree of success, but no less that tactic didn't help build our attacks.

Don't get carried away here fellas, he looked good - but he is not the Finished article.

Fox Fan said:
Yea sure Sheehan did well today, but don't get carried away! The guy made plenty of mistakes and towards the end of the first half his confidence was clearly dipping. He was often getting caught in possestion or his passes were getting intercepted.

Granted these are things that can be worked on, but against a better team Sheehans mistakes would of been punished! Not to mention he liked to hit and hope up the left, with a degree of success, but no less that tactic didn't help build our attacks.

Don't get carried away here fellas, he looked good - but he is not the Finished article.

I think I finished my post with the saying 'one swallow doenst make a summer' which is true but it was a solid start from the young lad.

PONTUS KAAMARK said:
I think the move happened just as both us and Plymouth got properly into pre season. it was a drawn out transfer so that probably affected the amount of training he was doing.

[FONT=&quot]I don't see how this should make a difference to any player. Saying your not match fit, unless coming back from injury is not acceptable. You are a professional footballer, therefore you should be on the running machines down the gym to get fit enough to play. Just because he hasn't had a full pre-season is no excuse IMO.[/FONT]

Mauchlen did mention that Sheehan was being left a little exposed because Stephen Hughes,although playing well,wasn't giving Sheehan much cover when they attacked.Don't know how true that was.I do think we have to persevere with a left Back for 6 or 7 matches though instead of having a different one virtually every week.

I thought Sheehan played very well, the first 20 mins or so his passing was quite poor but as the game progressed he got better and better and put in some cracking challenges. He did make some mistakes, but I think he could be a very good left back.

After today I would say that the LB problem should not cause us a problem long term. Both Sheehan & Gilbert will get better, in gilbert case as he gets fitter and settles down in the area properly. Alan will definitly improve as he matures and plays more in the first team. On the whole his performance today was competent and certainly gave us more balance to have a natural left footer in defence. It was also noticeable that Maybury's play was much improved in his natural position.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669