Should we give DJ Campbell a second chance?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fryatt, Howard, Gallagher, Schlupp. :102:

Gallagher is not a striker in my eyes and Sclupp? Are you genuinely telling me you'd be happy to have him as cover for Howard (who struggles to play 90 mins a week let alone 180) and Fryatt?

Assuming DJ goes, we will have lost Campbell, Waghorn, Kermogant and Vaughan from our striking pool. I don't see how you couldn't replace Campbell and still expect to have enough strikers/be competitive.

Last edited:
Fryatt, Howard, Gallagher, Schlupp. :102:

From what I gather we could well be playing one up front anyway, so huge quantities of strikers aren't needed.

Gallagher-Winger
Schlupp-Unproven at this level

Keeping Campbell could prove to a very important thing for us.

Gallagher is not a striker in my eyes and Sclupp? Are you genuinely telling me you'd be happy to have him as cover for Howard (who struggles to play 90 mins a week let alone 180) and Fryatt?

Assuming DJ goes, we will have lost Campbell, Waghorn and Vaughan from our striking pool. I don't see how you couldn't replace Campbell and still expect to have enough strikers/be competitive.

Gallagher was always a striker at Blackburn that is his original position. He has proven himself there more than he has ever done on the wing. I have never seen Schlupp play so I cannot know whether I am happy to see him as cover for Howard or not.

Last edited:
£1 million isn't a lot when your talking about strikers, so personally i can see the sense in keeping him.
Sousa is giving him a clean slate, his goal scoring record last season was good, and he's enthusiastic in pre-season. I'd probably take my chances with DJ ahead of who we would be likely to get to replace him too.
A new contract however is too much of a risk for me, unless its just a 1 year extension.

Gallagher-Winger
Schlupp-Unproven at this level

Keeping Campbell could prove to a very important thing for us.

And it could also prove to be a horrific decision in terms of both finances and team spirit. It is far more risky to keep him imo.

I agree with Rosso on this one. A decent bid should be accepted, his weekly wages have been a burden for a long time. If we can somehow break even in the DJ Campbell business we've got away with it.

That said, if he wants to stay and is willing to put a shift in, I do see the value of having him around. Push come to shove though...I'd move him on for 1M.

To my memory he has never played as an out and out striker for us.

That's because we have always played him out of position. Solano never played right midfield for us either, it does not mean he is not a natural wide man.

£1 million isn't a lot when your talking about strikers, so personally i can see the sense in keeping him.
Sousa is giving him a clean slate, his goal scoring record last season was good, and he's enthusiastic in pre-season. I'd probably take my chances with DJ ahead of who we would be likely to get to replace him too.
A new contract however is too much of a risk for me, unless its just a 1 year extension.

It's not just £1mil. It's £1mil + reportedly a further £1mil for every year he is here. That's £2mil at least. £5mil if we give him a 4 year contract.

Last edited:
Any replacement will want wages too.

Who do you think we could get for that £2million? (including wages)

Any replacement will want wages too.

Who do you think we could get for that £2million? (including wages)

Again. Where is this idea coming from that DJ has done anything for us in the time he's been here? We already have a goalscorer in Fryatt, we do not need a lofty £2mil striker to replace someone who has done absolutely dick all for us in the past 2 seasons when we have performed excellently without him. Waghorn may need replacing but not DJ and there are plenty of decent loan signings or cheaper players from the lower leagues or foreign leagues out there.

Last edited:
We could do with a striker, a central midfielder and a right back. Maybe the sale of Campbell will help facilitate other signings.

Sooner him than Hobbs or Morrison's lovely big knob leaving us.

Last edited:
That's because we have always played him out of position. Solano never played right midfield for us either, it does not mean he is not a natural wide man.

I think you'll find he did. Once.

It's not just £1mil. It's £1mil + reportedly a further £1mil for every year he is here. That's £2mil at least. £5mil if we give him a 4 year contract.

How could DJ possibly be on anything like £20k a week?

Assuming DJ goes, we will have lost Campbell, Waghorn, Kermogant and Vaughan from our striking pool. I don't see how you couldn't replace Campbell and still expect to have enough strikers/be competitive.

:bang:

Campbell did nothing last season, so we won't have lost anything.
Kermorgant in most people's eyes did nothing, so no loss there to say Crncic or Schlupp. Waghorn didn't start playing regularly until Christmas and Vaughan didn't arrive until after Christmas.

So yes, we are probably one effective striker down if we sell, but that is it.

I haven't said he has done anything for us. I'm thinking of him as a new addition to the squad. given his performances for blackpool last season, if Sousa had just bought him for £1million, i would think it an okay bit of buisness.

I don't understand, are you suggesting that the professional management team are window lickers who should sign over all team decisions to a self selecting section of the fans?

No, that the idiots on the moan in who were saying he should be offered a new contract, in particular the one who said we would win the league is he was, appear to have monged loud enough to get their wish, which is effectively to give a new, longer contract to a player we have been trying to get off our books for 3 years.

I've heard that figure banded about plenty of times for his wages. Cannot vouch for its accuracy, but it's very possible.

Last edited:
I've heard that figure banded about plenty of times for his wages. Cannot vouch for his accuracy, but it's very possible.

I believe it is the same as the £25m Mandaric invested in us, in other words completely shit, but enough people have heard it now that it is assumed to be true.

We signed him from the Premiership, when we were pushing and spending for promotion ourselves. so at the time was rated a top championship player so £20k is about par

If Blackpool have tabled an offer for him then there's more chance he will reject any new contract we offer him.

I suspect that it would depend on the terms included in the respective contracts.

The question is that, if Dj is sold, who do we bring in to replace him?

Pablo Couñago?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670