Should we give DJ Campbell a second chance?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've heard that figure banded about plenty of times for his wages. Cannot vouch for its accuracy, but it's very possible.

When he was about to go out to Derby on loan, we were given several different numbers in relation to his weekly income by different news sources. One was £6000, another was £9000, another reported a ludicrous figure of £18000. Honestly, I've never heard £20000. All are obscene amounts for a player at this level if you ask me (which you didn't, and shouldn't). The first two are plausible, but £18000 always sounded made up and £20000 almost certainly is.

When he was about to go out to Derby on loan, we were given several different numbers in relation to his weekly income by different news sources. One was £6000, another was £9000, another reported a ludicrous figure of £18000. Honestly, I've never heard £20000. All are obscene amounts for a player at this level if you ask me (which you didn't, and shouldn't). The first two are plausible, but £18000 always sounded made up and £20000 almost certainly is.

Too much any way you slice it. Innit?

However much it was, apparently Blackpool weren't prepared to pay the same when it came to him moving there before. Unless that's changed, I suspect he will stay here

I agree with Rosso on this one. A decent bid should be accepted, his weekly wages have been a burden for a long time. If we can somehow break even in the DJ Campbell business we've got away with it.

That said, if he wants to stay and is willing to put a shift in, I do see the value of having him around. Push come to shove though...I'd move him on for 1M.

I agree with you Miles but a replacement will be needed.

To my memory he has never played as an out and out striker for us.

Once on his debut

No, that the idiots on the moan in who were saying he should be offered a new contract, in particular the one who said we would win the league is he was, appear to have monged loud enough to get their wish, which is effectively to give a new, longer contract to a player we have been trying to get off our books for 3 years.

I don't believe that for a minute. It could just be a load of bollocks or us using the media to try and play Campbell. If we have investment coming in (which IMHO does look the case given the lack of transfer activity), maybe we are taking a calculated risk.

Last edited:
Have you heard something as i saw a rumour on 606

I understand he is one of a number of players who we are looking at. I really put up his name as a response to your earlier post about the 606 rumour. Nothing is definite other than the fact that there will be three or four more players arriving.

City are no longer a club who are in a position to be early runners in the transfer stakes but, as in recent seasons, there will be signings late on when it is more clear who is still available.

:bang:

Campbell did nothing last season, so we won't have lost anything.
Kermorgant in most people's eyes did nothing, so no loss there to say Crncic or Schlupp. Waghorn didn't start playing regularly until Christmas and Vaughan didn't arrive until after Christmas.

So yes, we are probably one effective striker down if we sell, but that is it.

I'm still failing to see how you can dismiss the fact we are 2 premiership strikers down just because they didnt arrive until mid season. It's like you've blanked out the fact it's not the start of last season

Last edited:
I'm still failing to see how you can dismiss the fact we are 2 premiership strikers down just because they didnt arrive until mid season. It's like you've blanked out the fact it's not the start of last season

But it isn't mid way through this one either. From this point last year we are about the same. At the end of last year we didn't have Fryatt or Campbell, so we aren't down there either.

But it isn't mid way through this one either. From this point last year we are about the same. At the end of last year we didn't have Fryatt or Campbell, so we aren't down there either.

If you're happy for us to be where we were a year ago when we'd ust come up from League One then so be it. I prefer progress.

If you're happy for us to be where we were a year ago when we'd ust come up from League One then so be it. I prefer progress.

you are aware DJ hasn't gone anywhere though aren't you? So as of the end of last season we have got DJ and Fryatt back and lost Waghorn, Kermorgant and Vaughan. At the most negative that means we are down one, however Vaughan only played 4 or 5 games I think so hardly a key player.

So we are actually about the same as the end of last season with a month still to recruit more.

you are aware DJ hasn't gone anywhere though aren't you? So as of the end of last season we have got DJ and Fryatt back and lost Waghorn, Kermorgant and Vaughan. At the most negative that means we are down one, however Vaughan only played 4 or 5 games I think so hardly a key player.

So we are actually about the same as the end of last season with a month still to recruit more.

Fryatt played at the end of the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670