Should we give DJ Campbell a second chance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Profondo Rosso

So where were the hatful of goals from 'legend' Fryatt if these friendlies represent such poor opposition?

This pre-season every player knew that new manager = clean slate, and therefore everyone has to impress to win their starting spot. Fryatt has hardly performed as if he is trying to book the number 1 striker slot has he?

I never mentioned anything about Fryatt. :102:

Matt_B

Then why are friendlies used as shop windows for trialists? Quality and form of a player will be apparent regardless. A team might be ropey however.

Because people read into them ridiculous amounts. DJ is apparently in lethal form, despite his goals coming against opposition massively inferior to those that we will be playing in the league, bar the first friendly.

Profondo Rosso

I'm just sick of people moaning about him being offered a new deal that's all

I don't like to see Leicester take such big financial risks. I'm sorry if that sickens you.

I want DJ to succeed as much as the next person, but I also don't want to see us waste money or repeat the whole of the past 3 years yet again before he has even proven anything for us yet.

Last edited:

Hazzman

Because people read into them ridiculous amounts. DJ is apparently in lethal form, despite his goals coming against opposition massively inferior to those that we will be playing in the league, bar the first friendly.

Read into them daft yes. But the pre-season has proved DJ is in good goalscoring form. You step onto the pitch, your aim is to win and score goals regardless of opposition. He's done the expected against lower opposition which others haven't. You don't think it's any different when you play; your quality and form shows whoever you are playing. Your determination to win hardly alters, if the aim of the game is just for fitness...run around in straight lines. I firmly believe a pre-season may not be a good indication of where a team is collectively at but it does of a player.

Regardless of what I've said and anyone else, when in the right atmosphere it's clear in the past six months he's good enough for the division. I personally think we are playing a clever game in attempting to get an inflated bid off Blackpool.

Last edited:

fox58

Read into them daft yes. But the pre-season has proved DJ is in good goalscoring form. You step onto the pitch, your aim is to win and score goals regardless of opposition. He's done the expected against lower opposition which others haven't. You don't think it's any different when you play; your quality and form shows whoever you are playing. Your determination to win hardly alters, if the aim of the game is just for fitness...run around in straight lines. I firmly believe a pre-season may not be a good indication of where a team is collectively at but it does of a player.

Regardless of what I've said and anyone else, when in the right atmosphere it's clear in the past six months he's good enough for the division. I personally think we are playing a clever game in attempting to get an inflated bid off Blackpool.

i was thinking along the same lines

Macky

Gruntled Member
Or... Blackpool did come in for offers but they were refused, then Blackpool pulled out, so he pulled his socks out and tried his hardest to show his form so Blackpool would come back in with a better bid.

It works both ways.

If I was in DJ's shoes, or boots, I wouldn't want to go back to Blackpool and get tanked every week in the Premiership, he'd just look like a crap striker in a crap team.
Much better for his ego and his profile to be scoring goals for us.

MHS

If I was in DJ's shoes, or boots, I wouldn't want to go back to Blackpool and get tanked every week in the Premiership, he'd just look like a crap striker in a crap team.
Much better for his ego and his profile to be scoring goals for us.

If I was in DJ's shoes, or boots, I would want to go back to Blackpool because it will probably be his last opportunity to play in the Premiership.

David Gwilliam

If Paulo wants to keep DJ I will back and support DJ.

However, I would prefer us to take the million pounds if that is what is on offer. Then let Paulo bring in the players he feels necessary for his style of play.

As for strikers I would back Fryatt to score more goals over a season than DJ. Apart from Steve Howard there is presumably going to be that Slovenian player with the missing vowels and Dany who I have always thought would be an effective striker.

At the end of last season there were rumours that Steve Bruce was so pleased with Waghorn's progress that he was going to send us Ryan Noble on loan. Whether Bruce gives the credit to Leicester or the new Hull management I don't know.

New manager or not, there is one signing - loan or permanent - I would love to see. I laughed when I saw him as I thought he looked like a 12 year old Bash Street Kid but he played like a young Neil Lennon. Come back Jay Spearing.

MHS

New manager or not, there is one signing - loan or permanent - I would love to see. I laughed when I saw him as I thought he looked like a 12 year old Bash Street Kid but he played like a young Neil Lennon. Come back Jay Spearing.

I'd love him back, but can't see it happening. Uncle Roy is a big fan from the sounds of things.

Macky

Gruntled Member
If I was in DJ's shoes, or boots, I would want to go back to Blackpool because it will probably be his last opportunity to play in the Premiership.

The Deej won't be thinking like that at his age, he's still only a child

indierich06

So who currently amongst our strikers is performing better than DJ?

What does it matter? Friendly matches mean absolutely nothing. I'll judge our strikers after 5 Championship matches, rather than 5 warm up games against vastly inferior opposition.

Filthy Rich

Banned
If Paulo wants to keep DJ I will back and support DJ.

However, I would prefer us to take the million pounds if that is what is on offer. Then let Paulo bring in the players he feels necessary for his style of play.

Normally you are one of the more sensible posters on here but what you have written above makes no sense whatever. Obviously Paulo knows that DJ absolutely IS what he feels necessary for his style of play. If you or anyone else on here thinks that £1m for a player who scores goals for fun is good business then thank the heavens you are not involved in running a football club.

indierich06

If you or anyone else on here thinks that £1m for a player who scores goals for fun is good business then thank the heavens you are not involved in running a football club.

What on earth are you talking about? When he has ever done this for Leicester City? When has ever done this for any club? Since signing for us he has scored 5 goals in competitive matches.

Even if you take Leicester City out of the equation, he has never managed 10 goals in the league in a season for any club he has been at:

http://www.soccerbase.com/players_details.sd?playerid=24865

How in God's name has DJ ever 'scored goals for fun'? I know scoring against Jagiellonia Bialystok, NK Aluminij, Oxford, Rotherham and Peterborough is a tremendous achievement (something Pele, Maradona, di Stéfano and Puskás never achieved incidentally) but it doesn't suddenly make him the most prolific striker in the Championship who we can't possibly do without.

If DJ is worth 1mil, then Matty Fryatt is worth 10mil. In the last two seasons, Andy King has scored nearly 3 times as many goals from midfield as DJ has in his whole Leicester career.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669