Should we give DJ Campbell a second chance?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Normally you are one of the more sensible posters on here but what you have written above makes no sense whatever. Obviously Paulo knows that DJ absolutely IS what he feels necessary for his style of play. If you or anyone else on here thinks that £1m for a player who scores goals for fun is good business then thank the heavens you are not involved in running a football club.

I have always noticed that when people tell me I am a sensible poster it is always followed by a "but"

It is difficult to improve on Indie's successful rebuttal of your comments on DJ..

The thing that still needs explaining is why you choose to "thank the heavens". To misquote W H Auden
[/I]Looking up at the stars I know damn well
That for all they care Leicester can go to hell

You will be relieved to hear that Milan has never offered me any involvement. It is Milan and not the Heavens to whom you should be grateful. As you feel so strongly perhaps a thank you note to Milan on the subject would not go amiss.

I have always noticed that when people tell me I am a sensible poster it is always followed by a "but"

It is difficult to improve on Indie's successful rebuttal of your comments on DJ..

The thing that still needs explaining is why you choose to "thank the heavens". To misquote W H Auden

You will be relieved to hear that Milan has never offered me any involvement. It is Milan and not the Heavens to whom you should be grateful. As you feel so strongly perhaps a thank you note to Milan on the subject would not go amiss.

Interesting that in your response you did not address the fundamental point I made in that "Obviously Paulo knows that DJ absolutely IS what he feels necessary for his style of play". Presumably you think you know better than him and that Campbell is not what Sousa wants in his team.

I suppose that nobody is just going to take up a post by saying that you are sensible, which you mostly are, when we all have our own opinions to add to the mix.

What the link provided in indie's 'rebuttal' shows is that in the 46 games DJ has played in his loan appearances for other clubs since he joined city, he has scored 23 goals. That's a 1 in 2 ratio, which seems to be most people's idea of an extremely productive striker.

Personally, I can't believe anybody who sees themselves as sensible would turn their nose up at that based on a few poor performances when the club was being exceptionally mismanaged and a few dodgy quotes in the media, most probably at least partially a result of our dodgy media. But then, I may not be sensible myself.

I suppose that nobody is just going to take up a post by saying that you are sensible, which you mostly are, when we all have our own opinions to add to the mix.

What the link provided in indie's 'rebuttal' shows is that in the 46 games DJ has played in his loan appearances for other clubs since he joined city, he has scored 23 goals. That's a 1 in 2 ratio, which seems to be most people's idea of an extremely productive striker.

Personally, I can't believe anybody who sees themselves as sensible would turn their nose up at that based on a few poor performances when the club was being exceptionally mismanaged and a few dodgy quotes in the media, most probably at least partially a result of our dodgy media. But then, I may not be sensible myself.

DJ has and will continue to score goals in the Championship. Miles better than Steve Howard. I met him after the Peterborough game last week. Nice guy. He waited patiently as a took a photo of my son with him. I think that the problem was Nigel Pearson, who clearly has a chip on his shoulder when it comes to certain players. The loaning out of DJ and, effectively trying to replace him with Kermorgant, was probably the reason why we are still in the Championship! Well done Mr Pearson, great motivator!

DJ has and will continue to score goals in the Championship. Miles better than Steve Howard. I met him after the Peterborough game last week. Nice guy. He waited patiently as a took a photo of my son with him. I think that the problem was Nigel Pearson, who clearly has a chip on his shoulder when it comes to certain players. The loaning out of DJ and, effectively trying to replace him with Kermorgant, was probably the reason why we are still in the Championship! Well done Mr Pearson, great motivator!

What about Holloway then?

The problem with NP and Campbell's loan was which club he went to. NP didn't want him to go to Blackpool apparently and he lost that one.

The reason we are still in the Championship is because over the two legs we just weren't good enough and even with the chances we were handed , couldn't put away two of the penalties. Kermogant was not the only villain over those two games, Brown, Bruce and Waghorn also played their parts.

Last edited:
Obviously Paulo knows that DJ absolutely IS what he feels necessary for his style of play..

I have been taken to task for my, perhaps clumsy, first sentence in post 312. Filthy may be right and if Paulo believes DJ is "necessary" or at least better than the people he would bring in for the million then obviously he should keep him.

Filthy presumes that I think I know more about football than the manager. Thankfully this is a delusion on his part not mine. I am very pleased with the appointment of Paulo since I thought Dowie, Coleman or Southgate were real possibilities. I gave credit for this appointment to Uncle Milan and not to some planetary alignment (Filthy post 316).

JB misunderstands my comment on "sensible". I have never claimed to be sensible but was mocking criticism which is always the most enjoyable response to it.
How could I claim to be "sensible" when on the Paulo's Outfit Thread I advocated that Brian Sewell should be made Leicester manager.

The sooner he f**ks off the better as far as I'm concerned. He has shown on many occasions that he couldn't give a toss about LCFC and has clearly stated (twice) that he doesn't want to play for us. Yes, he has shown some good form against shite teams, but who wouldn't if they thought there could be a move in the offing as a result?

be careful mate, the mongies will eat you alive for that outburst!

DJ has and will continue to score goals in the Championship.

He's only scored double figures in one Championship season.

9, 4, 9 and 14.

Howard's managed 14 and 16.

And you mention Pearson....Holloway at the time we signed Campbell said the transfer fee was madness and now here he is...offering a million pounds for him. :icon_lol:

And you mention Pearson....Holloway at the time we signed Campbell said the transfer fee was madness and now here he is...offering a million pounds for him. :icon_lol:

Compare the two situations: it's a lower transfer fee (£1m vs £1.6m) offered by a Premier League club (as opposed to Championship strugglers) for a player with a bigger reputation (2010 DJ vs 2007 DJ). Sounds like a bargain.

Last edited:
He's only scored double figures in one Championship season.

9, 4, 9 and 14.

Howard's managed 14 and 16.

23 goals from 46 games. 23 goals from 46 games. 23 goals from 46 games.

Say it out loud a few times, it will wash away any bad taste from the past, guaranteed.

Now just imagine that there was another striker in the league with that record, then imagine that he's available on a free and that he can only come to ity for some reason. You'd sign that hypothetical striker in an instant. Wouldn't you?

And Holloway's proven himself wrong, what does that show?

Campbell is a £ whore. Money is the only reason he's still at City.
He is now entering the final year of a highly lucrative four year contract that he didn't deserve. Fact is, he's become a multi millionaire mainly sitting on his arse here whining or having a bit of fun out on loan.

He knows he's got no chance of getting another good contract unless he pulls his finger out this year. The moment anyone gives him a long term contract, he'll stop trying again.

I say either keep him this year, get some return on our investment and then ditch him when his contract expires, irrespective of his performances. Or sell him on if anyone is daft enough to pay £500k+.

Well said Brown nose. He is only pulling his finger out to get a new contract. We should get rid ASAP, if Blackpool put in an offer of £1000000 we should have bit Holloways' hand off. He was always off side whenever he had a decent chance.

23 goals from 46 games. 23 goals from 46 games. 23 goals from 46 games.

Say it out loud a few times, it will wash away any bad taste from the past, guaranteed.

Now just imagine that there was another striker in the league with that record, then imagine that he's available on a free and that he can only come to ity for some reason. You'd sign that hypothetical striker in an instant. Wouldn't you?

And Holloway's proven himself wrong, what does that show?

I am not doubting the lads ability. I was disapproving the opinion he's always been a Championship goalscorer. He's a slave to his wage (like the majority of us normal folk).

You failed to mention Campbell's remaining time on his contract.
Ture, it seems a lot for a player with one year left. But if Holloway thinks he's a player who can keep them in the Premier League (snigger) then £1m is pocket change.

He (Holloway) appears to be turning his attention in the direction of Rob Hulse.

He (Holloway) appears to be turning his attention in the direction of Rob Hulse.

I hope he doesn't give up on signing John Stead, purely for comedy value.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566