Should we give DJ Campbell a second chance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike - True Blue Tinter

I know that footballers generally are not regarded as the sharpest pencils in the box, but don't you think that if DJ really wanted to be at Blackpool he would have come back here and just arsed around, pissing off the dressing room, so that we would just quickly offload him at any price?

The reverse seems to have happened. According to Sousa DJ is the model professional, the most committed, hardest working and fittest player in the squad, who wants to excel and is leaving other players trailing in his wake.

DJ knows that playing for Blackpool in the Prem is going to be an embarrassing nightmare. At City he can be a hero and on the same money.

I say keep him. If he fails to stay motivated or stops scoring goals, Sousa can simply toss him out on loan to reduce the wage bill.

Profondo Rosso

I know that footballers generally are not regarded as the sharpest pencils in the box, but don't you think that if DJ really wanted to be at Blackpool he would have come back here and just arsed around, pissing off the dressing room, so that we would just quickly offload him at any price?

The reverse seems to have happened. According to Sousa DJ is the model professional, the most committed, hardest working and fittest player in the squad, who wants to excel and is leaving other players trailing in his wake.

DJ knows that playing for Blackpool in the Prem is going to be an embarrassing nightmare. At City he can be a hero and on the same money.

I say keep him. If he fails to stay motivated or stops scoring goals, Sousa can simply toss him out on loan to reduce the wage bill.

Or... Blackpool did come in for offers but they were refused, then Blackpool pulled out, so he pulled his socks out and tried his hardest to show his form so Blackpool would come back in with a better bid.

It works both ways.

pork pie fox

Or, DJ is entering his 'contract year' (as the Americans call it). Free agency in American sport is a big thing and it's pretty well accepted that players pick up their game in the final year of a contract, as they know they are playing for their next deal.

(Lebron quitting vs the Celtics being an obvious exception and to be fair he'd already had a decent season, but it was the 1st example that came into my head and I don't think his next contract was going to suffer as a result)

LCFC'sGodWears9

Or, DJ is entering his 'contract year' (as the Americans call it). Free agency in American sport is a big thing and it's pretty well accepted that players pick up their game in the final year of a contract, as they know they are playing for their next deal.

(Lebron quitting vs the Celtics being an obvious exception and to be fair he'd already had a decent season, but it was the 1st example that came into my head and I don't think his next contract was going to suffer as a result)

But you see there is a MASSIVE difference, LeBron is IMO, the best player in the NBA for the past 2 seasons, DJ is not even the best in our squad in the Championship.

Hazzman

Fryatt played at the end of the season.

Methinks your point is that if we took the 18 on show against Cardiff you'd fancy us for promotion. As it stands, we still have no assured right back, a tigerish midfielder or a pacey forward (maybe DJ takes over). At the start of last season, we just wanted a solid season as we progressed we need more quality as our ambitions changed. It was needed too...we we were running out of steam come March.

We looked a considerably better footballing side post Easter. Most balanced squad we had for a while here.

Durham Fox

El Dude Brother.
Methinks your point is that if we took the 18 on show against Cardiff you'd fancy us for promotion. As it stands, we still have no assured right back, a tigerish midfielder or a pacey forward (maybe DJ takes over). At the start of last season, we just wanted a solid season as we progressed we need more quality as our ambitions changed. It was needed too...we we were running out of steam come March.

We looked a considerably better footballing side post Easter. Most balanced squad we had for a while here.

Quite. Eloquently put.

Profondo Rosso

So who currently amongst our strikers is performing better than DJ?

No one, but good performances in training matches against Polish second division sides is hardly noteworthy. Certainly not worthy enough of a new contract for a player on such big wages. It's not like these matches are ones where every player puts full commitment in.

When he does it in the league for us I'll be happy and all he has on that front is three years of utter tripe.

Last edited:

Matt_B

No one, but good performances in training matches against Polish second division sides is hardly noteworthy. Certainly not worthy enough of a new contract for a player on such big wages. It's not like these matches are ones where every player puts full commitment in.

When he does it in the league for us I'll be happy and all he has on that front is three years of utter tripe.

Exactly, pre season is in no way shape or form an indication of a players current form or skill.

Neilson apparently looked OK against Peterborough FFS.

Mike - True Blue Tinter

Currently none. Although I'd argue Big Stevie Howard is on par with DJ, although I know that wasn't your question.

Which is why I do not understand the clamour to get rid of him. How many games did Steve Howard go last season before he scored? I do not remember a bandwagon rolling to sell or loan him, just lots of encouragement because we know he is a good player, as he showed in the last couple of months last season and this pre-season.

Personally, when DJ's name gets called out on Saturday I shall stand and applaud him for a great pre-season, welcome back, and to wish him well in hopefully scoring an average of 1 goal a game throughout the season.

pork pie fox

But you see there is a MASSIVE difference, LeBron is IMO, the best player in the NBA for the past 2 seasons, DJ is not even the best in our squad in the Championship.

Seriously, you think I'm comparing DJ with Lebron ability w*s*?

I was talking generally about players upping their game in the final year of their contract. Nothing to do with their ability compared to others, just compared with their own previous performances.

If you want to talk Lebron though, he may be a top player in the regular season, but lets see him do it in the play-offs consistently first. And lets face it, he's not even the main man in his own team now :icon_wink

LCFC'sGodWears9

Seriously, you think I'm comparing DJ with Lebron ability w*s*?

I was talking generally about players upping their game in the final year of their contract. Nothing to do with their ability compared to others, just compared with their own previous performances.

If you want to talk Lebron though, he may be a top player in the regular season, but lets see him do it in the play-offs consistently first. And lets face it, he's not even the main man in his own team now :icon_wink

I would hope not, that's not even a close comparison.

True, but seriously I don't see why they would try and harder in the final year and not in any other year. Surely the aim of every footballer is to be the best they can be and blagging their way through a few years & trying their soul out for the final year isn't the best way to go about it IMO.

As a Heat fan myself for about the 8 years that I've followed the league, I can't wait to see Him, Wade & Bosh together.

Mike - True Blue Tinter

No one, but good performances in training matches against Polish second division sides is hardly noteworthy.

So where were the hatful of goals from 'legend' Fryatt if these friendlies represent such poor opposition?

This pre-season every player knew that new manager = clean slate, and therefore everyone has to impress to win their starting spot. Fryatt has hardly performed as if he is trying to book the number 1 striker slot has he?

Feriol

Most players come to accept at some point the reality that at best they are average players. Football is their job, not their passion.

Sometimes i'm happy at work, work really hard and carry on through lunch even. Others (often as a result of my manager) i hate it and do the bare minimum i can get away with.

buzzer_b

At the end of the day guys if DJ is sold then fine. Atleast we get money to strengthen the squad. But whilst he's still here, wearing the blue shirt, scoring goals, or moaning about wanting to move away, or whether he's on 20k a week or whatever, I will cheer him on every week, whether he plays good or bad, until he gets sold.

He's a Leicester player so whether you hate him or not the least you could do is encourage him to do well for us, for the clubs benefit!

LCFC'sGodWears9

At the end of the day guys if DJ is sold then fine. Atleast we get money to strengthen the squad. But whilst he's still here, wearing the blue shirt, scoring goals, or moaning about wanting to move away, or whether he's on 20k a week or whatever, I will cheer him on every week, whether he plays good or bad, until he gets sold.

He's a Leicester player so whether you hate him or not the least you could do is encourage him to do well for us, for the clubs benefit!

When did anyone say they wouldn't encourage him or want him to do well for City? :102:

Mike - True Blue Tinter

I think a few on here seemed to have suggested that his remaining at the club at all this season, no matter how many goals he scored, was tantamount to having the plague here.

I cannot imagine they would be cheering him at matches, unless their posts were just boisterous attempts at playing devil's advocate.

It would be just soooooooooo hypocritical wouldn't it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669