Student Power

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sky News have an excellent close up of the yob who threw the fire extinguisher... wont be long before he's caught I'm sure.

Perfectly sums up a lot of the public in the UK, no skin off my teeth but I'll moan about someone making a stand for it. 'For me', it does for a lot of people and let's subtract the student stereotype, there are actually some young people with intelligence who can't afford it...now, let alone in 2012.

it may not be skin off my teeth...but my taxes pay for chavs and students and i'll vote for anyone who cuts the former and i'm so-so when it comes to cutting the money going to the latter

i'd have every confidence in the university system being value for money if Labour hadn't insisted on getting everyone into university and on shitty useless courses

I can't afford a jetpack.

It would benefit society to get me off the road therefore I should be entitled to protest about the government forcing jetpack manufacturers to charge more than I can afford.

*lobs small car fire extinguisher at door*

Woo! I'm hardcore.

Now I'm going to take my washing to my Mum and see if they'll buy me a Round-The-World ticket so I can grow as a person.

What's wrong with studying part time, and working either full or part time?

Oh, it interferes with the whole "student experience", sorry. My bad.

Or waiting until you have a spouse who can work their fingers to the bone so that you can go and get your qualifications eh :icon_wink

Already do....:icon_wink

I've said my piece, I am bound to make myself look more of a doughnut.
Not directed at you, just students in general. I think that there's too much emphasis/pressure on going to Uni at 18, when it's cheaper and more worthwhile going later in life, when most have a better idea of what they want to do with their lives. :102:

Or waiting until you have a spouse who can work their fingers to the bone so that you can go and get your qualifications eh :icon_wink
You weren't complaining when you thought you could retire before 50. I think we should be protesting against legal aid cuts; that's your future knackered as well!!

Not directed at you, just students in general. I think that there's too much emphasis/pressure on going to Uni at 18, when it's cheaper and more worthwhile going later in life, when most have a better idea of what they want to do with their lives. :102:

I couldn't have done my course part-time as I was in lectures or practicals most days from 9-5 (except Wed pm) and there are still courses out there (eg the architecture one my daughter is doing) that are like that.
I agree there are too many worthless courses.

I also disagree with the idea of going later. I didn't finish until I was nearly 23 (4 yr degree) and wanted to get some years work experience under my belt before having kids. I didn't want to leave having children until my 30s like most people do now.

Last edited by a moderator:
I couldn't have done my course part-time as I was in lectures or practicals most days from 9-5 (except Wed pm) and there are still courses out there (eg the architecture one my daughter is doing) that are like that.
I agree there are too many worthless courses.

I also disagree with the idea of going later. I didn't finish until I was nearly 23 (4 yr degree) and wanted to get some years work experience under my belt before having kids. I didn't want to leave having children until my 30s like most people do now.
Different people need Uni at different stages. I wasn't ready for it at 18. I have no problem with those who know what they want to do at that age, but speaking to young people, listening to them on campus or reading posts on forums, social network sites etc, there seems to be plenty of uni students who are there because someone expects them to be there, or their mates have gone, or it's all about the whole experience. Studying for a purpose seems to be last on the agenda.

I agree that studying later is not for everyone. I was just putting the idea out there that higher education doesn't have to be done straight after A levels. If fees are really going to be that much of a concern, part time study, if available, shouldn't be disregarded as it is a lot less costly.

I have met women on my courses who, like yourself, have ploughed through their education for the same reasons as you have. I have also met women who had kids at a young age and want to concentrate on their careers once their kids are older. Like I say, different people want different things.

Education, as a whole, is screwed in this country. If you ask me.

Like I say, different people want different things.

Horses for courses certainly - and I did all the post graduate thing part time whilst working.

I'd agree with the last sentence whole-heartedly. I'm constantly horrified by the lack of basic literacy and numeracy skills shown by many people.

Different people need Uni at different stages. I wasn't ready for it at 18. I have no problem with those who know what they want to do at that age, but speaking to young people, listening to them on campus or reading posts on forums, social network sites etc, there seems to be plenty of uni students who are there because someone expects them to be there, or their mates have gone, or it's all about the whole experience. Studying for a purpose seems to be last on the agenda.

I agree that studying later is not for everyone. I was just putting the idea out there that higher education doesn't have to be done straight after A levels. If fees are really going to be that much of a concern, part time study, if available, shouldn't be disregarded as it is a lot less costly.

I have met women on my courses who, like yourself, have ploughed through their education for the same reasons as you have. I have also met women who had kids at a young age and want to concentrate on their careers once their kids are older. Like I say, different people want different things.

Good example is me. I wanted to go to The University of Leicester, which I did and obtained a good degree (2:1 in History) at a time when the uni and that course were very high in the tables.

Came out of uni and had no idea what I wanted to do, fell in to insurance and a job where I didn't need a degree and now I'm having to do professional qualifications - and I could easily just have less debt and 3 years more experience. Oh, and be qualified.

But I should add, there being a different attitude and culture towards 'further' study, can only be a good thing.

Without being a subject nazi or judgemental, there's only so many film studies, media studies etc graduates this country needs and when those with thirds in those subjects start moaning 'but there's no jobs', well, its nothing a bit of a) foresight or b) hard work might have avoided.

But I should add, there being a different attitude and culture towards 'further' study, can only be a good thing.

Without being a subject nazi or judgemental, there's only so many film studies, media studies etc graduates this country needs and when those with thirds in those subjects start moaning 'but there's no jobs', well, its nothing a bit of a) foresight or b) hard work might have avoided.

:038:

I should also point out (man I love a good afterthought/caveat) that I have tried to come across there as anything but a snob.

I am a snob. The worst kind of snob.

There - got that off my chest.

I admit that when I went to University I wasnt to happy about paying student fees, but this was mainly because Labour had got into power by promising not to introduce them, and then promptly did so.

The simple maths is we cant afford to support all the students who now want to go to University. Maybe a different way would have been to introduce a sliding pay scale in relation to how well you do in GCSEs. If you get A's then you pay less, if you get C's and D's you pay more.

A sort of retard tax if you will?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670