Student Power

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think your hand must have slipped on the keyboard. Didn't you mean to say:

They are forcing the universities to charge an unreasonable sum to individuals for something that will benefit everyone. Plus, as a bonus, it suddenly makes financial sense (if no other kind) to take provision of education in the arts, humanities and social sciences into the private sector.

No. If I had written that I would be a factually-incorrect blithering idiot of very large magnitude. :)

They are forcing the universities to charge an unreasonable sum to individuals

no they're not, they are removing a subsidy and cap and letting universities charge what they want

for something that will benefit everyone
how does every taxpayer in the land benefit from subsidising all the twats on media studies?

Plus, as a bonus, it suddenly makes financial sense (if no other kind) to take provision of education in the arts, humanities and social sciences into the private sector.

huh?
:102:

can't even tell what you are arguing for/against

no they're not, they are removing a subsidy and cap and letting universities charge what they want

The state normally has to pay for public goods such as education. It still wants mass higher education - just not to pay for it. Most universities want to charge nothing - they're being forced to.

how does every taxpayer in the land benefit from subsidising all the twats on media studies?

A literate citizenship capable of independent and critical thought still seems a good thing to me. It's being delivered less and less by A levels - which are increasingly taught to the exams. The number of media studies students is falling by the way.

The amount that a university will get per student outside STEM subjects means that it would be better off outside the state system. Which is why some in LSE considered it.

The state normally has to pay for public goods such as education. It still wants mass higher education - just not to pay for it

if the state pays, it is public, circular argument
and as for getting seemingly everyone into university...i really don't understand that one

Most universities want to charge nothing - they're being forced to.

they're not being forced to, not quite sure how many times i have to say it

as for universities not wanting to charge students, of course they don't, they'd much rather have taxpayers pay for the courses and charge nothing, easy life

i'm sure the rail companies would like to charge nothing and let the tax payer pay for all the trains instead (something else the coalition is making happen)

A literate citizenship capable of independent and critical thought still seems a good thing to me
i didn't say it wasn't, i said what is the benefit of all paying for it as opposed to the people getting the education?

The number of media studies students is falling by the way.

GOOD, this shows that students are having to align their course studies to something that is relevant for society and consequently pays well

and it's the fee increases that have brought about that change

we owe a trillion GBP... and letting the universities' subsidies go is no biggy for me

if the state pays, it is public, circular argument

Er, the state doesn't have to pay for a public good - that's not what makes it one. But for one such as an educated population, in just about every other developed country, the state will have to pay and does, and more than the UK.

and as for getting seemingly everyone into university...i really don't understand that one

Don't think anyone's arguing that

they're not being forced to, not quite sure how many times i have to say it

When the choice is charge the fees, or close, I reckon that's being forced into it.

i didn't say it wasn't, i said what is the benefit of all paying for it as opposed to the people getting the education?

There's plenty of benefits to an educated citizenship which go beyond the benefit to the individual.

we owe a trillion GBP... and letting the universities' subsidies go is no biggy for me

Yeah. I particularly like the way that the bankers that ****ed it up for everyone else have decided to award themselves bonuses greater than the total given to universities.

A literate citizenship capable of independent and critical thought still seems a good thing to me.

Have you read posts by students on Foxestalk?

I think we'd all be far better served by them not getting a B.A. in Coach Trip Studies and simply going to work in McDonalds straight off, rather than deferring it for three years (five if they do the M.A in Jeremy Kyle).

Last edited:
Have you read posts by students on Foxestalk?

I think we'd all be far better served by them not getting a B.A. in Coach Trip Studies and simply going to work in McDonalds straight off, rather than deferring it for three years (five if they do the M.A in Jeremy Kyle).

So what subject did you get your degree in? :102:

I am applying for jobs in an area where there is 1 place for every 100 applicants. All applicants have to have a degree, as well as postgraduate qualifications. I recently had an interview where the applicants were filtered, not by their academic achievements, but by their ability to write a coherent, grammatically correct, structured, handwritten covering letter. I think that there were about 10 of us being interviewed.

i and letting the universities' subsidies go is no biggy for me

Perfectly sums up a lot of the public in the UK, no skin off my teeth but I'll moan about someone making a stand for it. 'For me', it does for a lot of people and let's subtract the student stereotype, there are actually some young people with intelligence who can't afford it...now, let alone in 2012.

Perfectly sums up a lot of the public in the UK, no skin off my teeth but I'll moan about someone making a stand for it. 'For me', it does for a lot of people and let's subtract the student stereotype, there are actually some young people with intelligence who can't afford it...now, let alone in 2012.

I thought that you wouldn't pay anything until you could afford it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669