Sven sacked

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think its fantastic that we have posters arrive on the board who know exactly the state of mind of Martin O'Neill. Privileged.
It's called opinion.

This place hasn't changed has it.

good riddance, get Billy Davies in

what was the last thing Sven achieved?

Wow, I must be one of the last Leicester fans to find this out. I don't have much access to internet at the moment and only found out the Millwall result yesterday. I thought the BBC had the result wrong. I feared the worst.

Only checked my FB account just now and found out from that. It's sad that this has happened especially after the pre-season optimism and I am a little concerned at the current state of the club.

Where do we go from here on?

In the cold light of day, having had time to reflect on Sven's "leaving by mutual consent", my heart says it is a crazy decision.
My head is starting to think otherwise.
I mentioned after the Brum game the amount of times we've got within spitting distance of the play-offs and blew it. This was followed by an abstract performance against Millwall, when a win would've taken us 4th.
A friend described the performance as "going back to the Reading or Bristol City game".
Sven has brought some good players to the club. Players that should take a look at themselves (but they never do!).
It's not Sven's fault, or the formation's fault, when these players can't get the basics right.
Whoever come's in next needs to be able to "kick them up the backside" when things aren't going right. Something it appeared that Sven couldn't do.
My shortlist of 3 would be Davies, Curbishley and at a push O'Neill.
Davies went very close with F####t but for lack of financial backing. He'd certainly get that here.
Curbishley, on tv last night he appeared like a man who knew something.
O'Neill, I'm not clamouring for him, it's just the "what if..." factor.

We just need a "Top" decision!

It's not just a manager we're hiring here really. Sven managed for near on 8 months or something with basically half a coaching set up and minimal top level expertise. I like Stowell etc but I just wonder why Sven or the owners didn't get something sorted to get some more coaching help?

Anyway - some big decisions to be made. Need a manager, an assistant and probably a couple of coaches. Must get this decision right.

One of the first things I'd do (but I have to say I am an idiot) if I were appointed would be to recall both Waghorn and Tunchev and make it clear that everyone is there to fight for their place.

It's not just a manager we're hiring here really. Sven managed for near on 8 months or something with basically half a coaching set up and minimal top level expertise. I like Stowell etc but I just wonder why Sven or the owners didn't get something sorted to get some more coaching help?

Anyway - some big decisions to be made. Need a manager, an assistant and probably a couple of coaches. Must get this decision right.

One of the first things I'd do (but I have to say I am an idiot) if I were appointed would be to recall both Waghorn and Tunchev and make it clear that everyone is there to fight for their place.

No point recalling Waggy IMO - he's not better than: Beckford/Shlupp/Nugent/Vassel/Howard

No point recalling Waggy IMO - he's not better than: Beckford/Shlupp/Nugent/Vassel/Howard

It doesn't really matter if he's 'better'.

His motivation and constant running might push Beckford and Vassell in to realising that yes, they could quite easily be dropped.

The day after the night before and time for reflection has made me feel differently about this.

Sven has spent over 10m and assembled his squad. They were not performing consistently enough at this point in any bodies opinion. A win verses Millwall woudl have just papered over the cracks and delayed the inevitable.

By having 2 players for each poisition he has been the architect of his own downfall, dicking around with his selection to suit the opposition and the way they play. This i feel causes dissatisfaction as i would have to assume that he recruited most of his players telling them they would get regular 1st team football, so a good performance one week doesn't necessarily mean getting picked the next.

He failed to recruit a creative and wide midfielder and this has made us predictable in our play. His squad doesn't appear to want to fight to win and perhaps this is due to the size of the squad.

Most managers would have crawled over hot coals to get the financial support Sven has had over the last 12 months or so. The fact is by investing so heavily Top wants a return now, if he had invested 2.5m every year over 4 years then the expectation for Sven to instantly succeed wouldn't have been there. This investment and constant soundbites in the media has also fuelled the fans expectance and want for immediate success.

I am a bit sick of reading that if we recruited MON then this would pander to the blue mongies. This is just stupid. A football fan continues to support his club based at least in part of fond memories of particular eras, seasons or games, and since the 70's our success has been pretty thin on the ground except for promotion which was inevitably (more often then not) followed by relegation shortly after. MON being a smallish blip on relative mediocrity.

I for one would welcome MON back tomorrow. The fact is Sven was not good enough in the Championship, he may well have been better in the Premier.

I really don't see how we can criticise Top and co for making a decision sooner rather than later.

Last edited:

His motivation and constant running might push Beckford and Vassell in to realising that yes, they could quite easily be dropped.

His motivation? Let's not forget that for 2 months before he went out on loan, he did nothing but push for a move away. If he's not playing/on the bench, he has no motivation and therefore would only act as a negative in the team.

I know some people will say, let the new manager give every player a chance, but remember that this is the exact approach taken by Ollie - effectively wasting his first 10 games, eventually leading to our relegation.

For me a player like Waggy is best off at Hull for the time being - let any new manager watch him play for them and then decide if he's right for 'his' Leicester team. After all this is how we ended up with Waggy in first place (clearly Pearson's man not Sousa's!)

Still can't believe it! I woke up this morning hoping it was a bad dream. As soon as I saw the 3rd goal go in on Soccer Saturday I started to worry for Sven.

I seriously worry about our season now, whereas prior to his removal I still believed we could win the league. Although Second place or play offs was looking more realistic. We had played most of the promotion contenders by this point and come out unbeaten, had just had a good unbeaten run which was ended with help from a red card, had 4 clean sheets in a row and were just 2 points off of the play off places. To sack Sven looks to me to be a move which was extremely short sighted.

I'd want a very good manager to help restore the faith I've lost in the owners this week.

Few points worth making:-

Just nine wins in his last 27 games.
Spent in the region of £15 million.
Good performances and good results minimalised to playing poor sides.
Likes of Hobbs and Fryatt playing well elsewhere whilst Mills/St Ledger/Vassell/Beckford have been on the whole average at best.
Numerous players on their last contract (Howard, Berner, Wellens and Oakley) given extensions and pay rises.

I don't agree with his sacking but it's easy to see why he's been given the bullet. Any set of players need time but I honestly wasn't confident with Sven, passion was lacking in the players most of the time.

Also, our situation is similar to Southampton's last season who successfully went onto win promotion after an average start under Pardew.

Don't quite understand what the problem is with Vassell, he's a hard worker who every time I have seen him this season seems to offer pace and work rate when played in his correct position.

Sven-Goran Eriksson, October 1: "The owners know what they want, but they understand the difficulties and they do not panic if we lose games. When all the rumours about me losing my job started they reassured me. They said, 'You go on, take us to the Premier League'."

October 24: Leicester's owners panic when they lose two games and Sven-Goran Eriksson is sacked.

"Being the manager of Leicester was an absolute pleasure and I wish everyone connected with the club the best of luck. Leicester City is a great club and I am certain that with the current owners in charge the club will go from strength to strength. To the players, old, new, everyone in the squad, I would like to say thank you. You are a talented group and I am hopeful that you will achieve success very soon."

What an absolute gentleman. When you consider some of the bitching from lesser lights, that is the statement of a big man.

Thanks Sven, I hope that you get a job in the Premier League soon.

Few points worth making:-

Just nine wins in his last 27 games.
Spent in the region of £15 million.
Good performances and good results minimalised to playing poor sides.
Likes of Hobbs and Fryatt playing well elsewhere whilst Mills/St Ledger/Vassell/Beckford have been on the whole average at best.
Numerous players on their last contract (Howard, Berner, Wellens and Oakley) given extensions and pay rises.

I don't agree with his sacking but it's easy to see why he's been given the bullet. Any set of players need time but I honestly wasn't confident with Sven, passion was lacking in the players most of the time.

Also, our situation is similar to Southampton's last season who successfully went onto win promotion after an average start under Pardew.
Money spent on players=in the region of £10m, but don't let that get into the way of your argumentation. It's only a £5m difference.

With a little patience (from the owners, a certain fans' fraction as well as some players), things could've gone an entirely different way.

Martin O'Neill's overall winning percentage with Leicester City: 38%
Sven-Göran Eriksson's overall winning percentage with Leicester City: 44%

But I sure for MON alone, many Leicester fans living in the past will look past O'Neill's own personal flaws...

And as for Fryatt and Hobbs playing well elsewhere (compared to our new signings), poor comparison. Fryatt was with the club for several years and Hobbs for at least one.
The majority of our current first-team's been playing for this club for roughly 2 to 3 months now.

As for the contract extension for Wellens, given the game against Millwall, someone should just take that contract and tear it apart.
Same for Andy "Wonderkid" King.

Martin O'Neill's overall winning percentage with Leicester City: 38%
Sven-Göran Eriksson's overall winning percentage with Leicester City: 44%

Most of MON's games were at a higher level.

What a preposterous comparison.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670