Sven sacked

Status
Not open for further replies.
Money spent on players=in the region of £10m, but don't let that get into the way of your argumentation. It's only a £5m difference.

It's definitely more than that. Transfer fees alone are (rumoured) to be over £10m, but include in that signing on fees and contracts of the squad it's probably more than £15m.

BBC reflective piece talks of him having been given more than £20M since signing.

It's all made-up figures at the end of the day which will only come to light when everything goes tits up.

Alright:

MON's first 13 games in 1995/1996: W2 D6 L5

Long gone are the days of patience.

Sorry Swiss, a poor comparison again, it was MON's first 13 games not after 2/3 of the previous season as well.

If you are alluding to patience then it's a more valid point, but he didn't spend the bounty that Sven has.

Why is the concept of stability and patience lost on new football owners. ... if there is no return within a twelve month period, sack the staff?!

If they had put in comparable resources to similar businesses but were being left behind with poor sales performance, they would probably sack the CEO, the shop equivalent of the manager, and employ a new CEO from a currently thriving business. Sven did not come here from a recently 'thriving business' in the same marketplace.

Sorry Swiss, a poor comparison again, it was MON's first 13 games not after 2/3 of the previous season as well.

If you are alluding to patience then it's a more valid point, but he didn't spend the bounty that Sven has.
Yep, patience is what it's all about. I was a bit tongue-in-cheek with my approach.
You could also argue that, albeit they were his signings, Sven had to start from scratch again with the current team (ok, he had an entire pre-season this time around).

As for the spending spree:
Football has changed quite a lot in the past 15, 16 years. Including player's transfer fees, wages, influence of foreign owners, etc.
It's really getting blown out of proportions the longer this continues.
It's an overinflated market and it's getting more overinflated by the year.

Last edited:
Fair comments Swiss.

At the moment though sky has destroyed the build slowly philosophy as the rich get richer and the poor get poorer.

The gulf in monetary terms between the top two tiers is ludicrous. It has just made everyone in the second tier more anxious to get there sooner rather thNater. The reward of 90 million won't be there forever, especially when clubs have to operate financially at a profit.

I'm not sure the reward for getting into the Prem will keep going up. I'm not sure why you think the financial fair play thing will affect it.

As you say the 90 million won't be forever, the bubble will burst at some point.

Withregard to operating financially to break even or profit, currently clubs don't have to so perhaps they are willing to throw more money at it now in order to get to the premier league rather than waiting and having their hands tied because clubs wouldn't be able to pay top whack for wages and fees.

And as for Fryatt and Hobbs playing well elsewhere (compared to our new signings), poor comparison. Fryatt was with the club for several years and Hobbs for at least one.
The majority of our current first-team's been playing for this club for roughly 2 to 3 months now.

I think your points have well answered by others except this. You make a point of standing by a manager, why not equally a player? If we kept Fryatt and Hobbs who are perfectly competent performers at this level, we don't have the problem of having to knit a team (let's not forget Tunch too.......and Moussa).

Sven after steering us away from relegation, had a transfer window and half of a season to start building for the next. Instead he chose not to, splashing a good few million on loanees. Loanees which all bar two were a bit of failure...young, inexperienced and two of them on daft pay less as you pay more deals.

I never felt confident under Sven that we'd go up. If you add all the bits of the squad up, we have enough talent but the way we've pissed goal leads up the wall and failed to be up for any game which gets us into the top 6, I'd say the mental toughness was not there under Sven.

Last edited:
I think Sven had a bit of bad luck. Sometimes shit happens. Unfortunately when you spend a shitload, you don't get much forgiveness. I think he would have gotten us promoted...some time, maybe not this season, maybe not next, but with the spend and quality of player that brings, at some point we would have gone up.

In fairness to Sven, he's brought in some excellent talent. Whoever gets the job could look pretty special if he has a bit of luck.

I'm assuming it will be a man. I'm prety sure it will be. I've not got any inside information, but I did see a man at the stadium yesterday. I've reported it to a contact I have at the Bristol Evening Post. Let them make of it what they will, but the clever ones are betting on the new manager being male....or a woman in a trouser suit. I was a fair distance away, and some women these days look quite masculine. Not that it's not attractive. A lot of men find masculine women attractive. There's nothing wrong with women taking steroids and having big muscles. Each to their own.

If a man wants to pay a steroid enhanced woman to breast-feed him then that's his call. No one should judge him. He may not have been breast-fed as a child. Perfectly reasonable for this to affect a man. People should stop being so judgemental. It's not like he would wear a nappy or do anything weird necessarily.

Get your money on a man. That's my advice. I've never been wrong before and neither has the Evening Post. And leave women with muscles alone. Weirdos.

If a man wants to pay a steroid enhanced woman to breast-feed him then that's his call.

Bit of a flaw in your statement there FF.

Steroid enhanced women tend not to have any breasts.

From the Mercury....

' - The statistics convinced them that Eriksson was not the man to guide them into the Premier League.

They showed City managing just nine wins in 27 Championship games since a 2-0 defeat at Cardiff in February last season which effectively ended their play-off hopes. They also drew nine and lost eight of those games.

Their failure to win any back-to-back games in the league or win any Championship game in which they had fallen behind also counted against him. City have also failed to score in four of their past six games. '

When you look at it like that, he just had to go - didn't he?

From the Mercury....

' - The statistics convinced them that Eriksson was not the man to guide them into the Premier League.

They showed City managing just nine wins in 27 Championship games since a 2-0 defeat at Cardiff in February last season which effectively ended their play-off hopes. They also drew nine and lost eight of those games.

Their failure to win any back-to-back games in the league or win any Championship game in which they had fallen behind also counted against him. City have also failed to score in four of their past six games. '

Maybe the idea of Sven moving upstairs wasn't such a bad one.
Bring in someone like Lee Clark to work under him

From the Mercury....

Yes. Unfortunately the signs were already there last season. I think we have been blinded a little by the odd decent performance, the quality of players coming in and Svens profile/reputation. After a few days reflection the reality of his time with us has been disappointing overall.

Already stated he won't be applying.

Very carefully worded

No manager currently in post will 'apply' for the job - they will wait for the club to make an approach

He didn't say he wasn't interested

Apparently a mid day interview with Top on SSN - anyone watching? If so let us know what he says.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669