Chilwell

Gray
Mendy
N'Didi
Kaputska

Okazaki
Slimani

Subs: Zieler, Benalouane, Drinkwater, Mahrez, Albrighton, Vardy, Musa

I will go with this choice, but Morgan + Huth start. Benny to replace one of them at half time so they can play flat out.

If they are both knackered by half time, Amartey comes on as well.

Mahrez starts instead of Kaputska.

Vardy to replace Okazaki after 60 mins, when his battery has gone flat.

I will go with this choice, but Morgan + Huth start. Benny to replace one of them at half time so they can play flat out.

If they are both knackered by half time, Amartey comes on as well.

Mahrez starts instead of Kaputska.

Vardy to replace Okazaki after 60 mins, when his battery has gone flat.
I've never heard of a CB being replaced at half time tactically, and nor do I expect it to happen.

Realistically, I think people are getting a little carried away with fantastical line-ups. I'd be surprised if there's both Gray and Chilwell in the team, let alone all of the other changes being banded about.

I'm inclined to agree FryattFox.

For starters, there'll be players with tired legs after last night. I think it's telling who was rested because it indicates Sunday's team selection.

Prepare yourselves lads and lasses, there'll be a familiar look to the side against Swansea. I think Ranieri's trusting in the regulars to respond, to 'fight like warriors'.

My selection is this

Schmeichel

Simpson Amartey Benalouane Chilwell

Kaputska Ndidi Mendy Gray

Slimani Musa

Subs
Vardy, Mahrez, King, Albrighton, Wasilewski

You're allowed 7 on the bench nowadays you know!

N'Didi and Mendy are our best central midfielders on form.

Our best forward line for lots of reasons is Mahrez, Slimani and Gray.

Our best full backs are Simpson and Chilwell.

Our best keeper is Schmeichel, although I was impressed with how involved Zieler got last night. His distribution was much better than before.

Then we need to get Amartey into the starting line up in central defence. Plus two other central defenders - for me, it would be Huth and Benny. As a back three - with Huth in the middle.

5-2-3 is the future.

Only four of the 'band of brothers' get into our best eleven now. Astonishing really. And I'd argue that several of them aren't good enough to make the bench either.

Then we need to get Amartey into the starting line up in central defence.

That's a question I've been pondering, and I think we're not a million miles apart in our thinking.

Amartey is clearly a valuable and versatile player who should start. We haven't played him at centre back before, though he played there in AFCON, and Ndidi is clearly our first choice in central midfield so almost by a process of elimination it means Amartey goes to central back. He probably would have last night but for the desire to rest Simpson; Amartey is almost punished for being versatile!

Then for me the question was which centre back would Amartey replace. I opted for Morgan because I feel Huth is more dependable; less mobile but solid. A Benny/Amartey combo has me feel uncertain - I'm not comfortable in replacing both Huth and Morgan - so your thought of going 5 at the back would address that. Chilwell is clearly a capable wingback and Simpson can play the role too.

As I've said, I like Mendy. I think an Ndidi/Mendy centre midfield combo is the way forward. I've got a downer on Drinkwater, I'll admit, but I would have him on the bench. Might buck his ideas up if he realises he's not nailed on as a starter.

I'm having wobbles about Slimani. At this moment, I actually don't see him as a marked improvement on Ulloa. I will accept though that we are not playing well enough as a team for him to show us what he can do. I've also a bit of a downer on Mahrez (perhaps shamefully, last season I saw his limitations) but maybe him providing for Slimani will bring the best out in both.

I like Musa, I like his energy and willingness but I've yet to see a consistent something from him that screams 'pick me'. Gray, on the other hand, has recently shown exactly that. I was really impressed with him against Man U; he seemed to have matured. He continued that path last night; a demonstration of skill without the selfishness. His all-round game was superb.

So, yes, a long wibble to broadly say I agree!

Last edited:
As many have said, I do not expect to see wholesale changes to our usual starting line. I do, however, see the prospect of Amartey taking Morgan's place and Gray playing with Slimani, in place of Vardy. It would be good to see Chilwell but, we might 'play safe' with Fuchs.

My guess at the team would be:

Schmeichel
Simpson, Amartey, Huth, Fuchs (would prefer Chilwell)
Mahrez,Ndidi, Drinkwater, Albrighton
Gray, Slimani

Re selections for Sunday, I think an amount will depend on how certain players respond in training. Gray, Chilwell, Amartey and Albrighton all played a full part against Derby, with Albrighton showing signs of cramp towards the end. I think Gray and Chilwell are the more likely of the 4 to be ok. Amartey's had a number of games in recent weeks so, as much as I hope he'd be ready, I'd not bank on it. If I could only pick one of the 4, it'd be Gray. He and Mahrez could torment the Swansea defence.

It will be

Simpson Morgan Huth Fuchs

Albrighton Drinky Ndidi Gray

Vardy Slimani

And it is, I will cry for the poor baby Jesus

Just watched the Man City v Swansea game. Swansea were enthusiastic and trying to stay in shape defensively but didn't pose a consistent threat. It was more spirited opportunism than teamwork. I feel we can beat them, if we take the game to them and keep the pressure on them.

Sigurdsson is one to watch though. We've got to be careful not to give away free kicks, or allow him room, around the penalty area because he strikes the ball well.

I was replying to this by Lako;

Vardy Slimani
I took Lako's team to be a dystopian guess based on Claudio's previous preferences and in that scenario it seems to me more likely that Gray rather than Albrighton would give way for Mahrez

Derby rested a few players and although you can only play what is front of you it was hardly a strong prem team.
I agree a lot of players have put their names in the hat but I do not believe CR will change his back 4. I thought Kaputska played well and will get better he should be on the bench.
Swansea will sit deep and look to counter playing a 4-5-1 would be a mistake imo, hope CR grows some bollocks and goes for it we need to shoot from all ranges and every opportunity as proved from Ndidi.
This is defo winable

It will be

Vardy Slimani

And it is, I will cry for the poor baby Jesus
You are so, so right.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I want us to move towards chucking some of the established 'stars' out but recognise that we probably can't do that all in one go. I was thinking about this last night and think even what we might have, until recently at least, have called our second string would be strong enough to stay up and provide a sound foundation on which to build in the summer whilst we sell off the dickheads.

I'd go 4-3-3 and would like us to transition towards something like this:

GK: Zieler

RB: Amartey
LB: Chilwell
CB: Benalouane
CB: Wague (I'm assuming mobility here)

CM: Mendy
CM: Ndidi
CM: King

RW: Mahrez
LW: Gray
CF: Slimani

I think that's a pretty capable side. We ought now to be looking at adopting the Southampton model in the transfer market too. When players make stars of themselves here they will almost without exception want to move on to bigger things. Let them go and cash in. Develop our academy properly and combine that with a policy of signing young players who can give us something in their development before they sod off elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4490
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566