The annoying, but traditional, totally unfounded Autumn/Winter 2011-12 rumours thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: The annoying, but traditional, totally unfounded Autumn/Winter 2011-12 rumours th

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/newc...-nzuzi-set-to-leave-newcastle-72703-30295745/

Not sure if these 2 have been mentioned, haven't really had time to look.

Scoop away....

It's news to me. They've been at the academy at Newcastle since 2005 and 2007... would Pearson have been there with them both, so already know a little about them (admittedly from very early in their development presumably).

Don't know anything about them, but sounds like Pearson is back to his usual recruitment methods. Looking at young players who haven't had a chance to break into their sides yet and will be keen to prove themselves. Glad to see it's back on track, because this method will lead to us developing a proper side again and eventually gaining promotion - hopefully he gets the time to see it through this time around.

Re: The annoying, but traditional, totally unfounded Autumn/Winter 2011-12 rumours th

Sounds like another couple of Astrit Ajdarevic types to me...

Glad to see it's back on track, because this method will lead to us developing a proper side again and eventually gaining promotion - hopefully he gets the time to see it through this time around.

I don't mean to pick on you, but this seems to be a prevailing view amongst many on this board, and I do not understand it. Why does the potential signing of two lads who have never managed to get into the Newcastle team, become a cause for belief that they will get us out of the Championship (in the right direction!:icon_bigg)?

I agree that we need to build a team with back up, but I am hoping that Pearson buys a couple of "star players" in the summer, to boost us above the ordinary.

goalkeeper and right back?

I don't mean to pick on you, but this seems to be a prevailing view amongst many on this board, and I do not understand it. Why does the potential signing of two lads who have never managed to get into the Newcastle team, become a cause for belief that they will get us out of the Championship (in the right direction!:icon_bigg)?

I agree that we need to build a team with back up, but I am hoping that Pearson buys a couple of "star players" in the summer, to boost us above the ordinary.
I think you may be disappointed. I expect him to continue to recruit the Danny Drinkwater's of this world.

I think you may be disappointed. I expect him to continue to recruit the Danny Drinkwater's of this world.

Yes, but he looks like he will become a star :)

I don't think Pearson is afraid to go for a 'star player' if he can fit in the team. We made an offer to Billy Sharp who would be considered a big name at our level. Besides, it generally works out best for us when we recruit up and coming players and work on our academy stars. When was the last time we spent big bucks on a player where we can confidently say he was well worth what we paid? £1m for Steve Claridge? That's the only one that sticks in my mind...

I don't think Pearson is afraid to go for a 'star player' if he can fit in the team. We made an offer to Billy Sharp who would be considered a big name at our level. Besides, it generally works out best for us when we recruit up and coming players and work on our academy stars. When was the last time we spent big bucks on a player where we can confidently say he was well worth what we paid? £1m for Steve Claridge? That's the only one that sticks in my mind...

When was the last time that this policy proved successful (above Division One) for us?

When was the last time that this policy proved successful (above Division One) for us?

I dunno - Emile Heskey? Maybe I meant we are better off in the sense that we don't lose a cubic ****load of cash ;)

Using Matt Mills as an example I think he's a good player, but I'd wager we probably could have got someone just as good for a lot less than £5.5m. Like I said, generally, spending less money is probably for the best.

We made an offer to Billy Sharp who would be considered a big name at our level.

He would?

**** me, I didn't realise how far we had sunk.

He would?

**** me, I didn't realise how far we had sunk.

I would say so, what 'star name' are we going to get to join us in the Championship? Not many are prepared to drop down at all and even fewer on permanent deals. A genuine star name is going to be unrealistic given our current situation, regardless of the money we might be able to offer them.

I would say so, what 'star name' are we going to get to join us in the Championship?

That isn't the issue.

You stated that Billy Sharp would be considered a big name at our level and I wondered how low we had sunk for somebody like Billy Sharp to be a big name.

FFS, he still has it all to prove really. He is still a small fish in a big pond at the moment.

Last edited:

That isn't the issue.

You stated that Billy Sharp would be considered a big name at our level and I wondered how low we had sunk for somebody like Billy Sharp to be a big name.

FFS, he still has it all to prove really. He is still a small fish in a big pond at the moment.

Billy Sharp is a big name at this level at the moment IMO, alot of clubs were courting him because he has proven this season that he is capable in this divison and not just the divison below. I don't think I'd agree that he has it all to prove either, like I said, he's done a pretty good job this season to prove he can get goals in the Championship. Whether he is a big fish in a small pond (which I'd probably agree is the type of player he likes to be) is immaterial.

That isn't the issue.

I suspect that the problem is that we all see LCFC differently.

My first experience of watching the team was just as Jimmy Bloomfield took control and I had the privilege of watching a team that could really compete at the top level and, at one stage, had four players in the same England team. I expect Leicester to be comfortably established in the Premier League and feel that anything less is underachieving. Others will have been introduced to the pleasure of 'Leicester World' at different points on the success line and, for them, perhaps being a promotion contender is as high as they can reasonably see the club.

I do not see why we should not be, at least, at Aston Villa's level (and why not higher?)

Good posts Shaun - it's easily possible to get out of this league without spending any money, just need a good team understanding and players not afraid to roll their sleeves up when the going gets tough.

In fact, most teams that spend big in this league and are tipped for promotion quite often fail spectacularly compared to their build up - McBoro a couple of years ago for example.

Good posts Shaun - it's easily possible to get out of this league without spending any money, just need a good team understanding and players not afraid to roll their sleeves up when the going gets tough.

In fact, most teams that spend big in this league and are tipped for promotion quite often fail spectacularly compared to their build up - McBoro a couple of years ago for example.

True, but the teams that have maintained their Premier League status tend to be those that went up with the most accomplished squad. Norwich and Swansea have retained most of their Championship winning teams whilst QPR have bought everybody - and are still struggling. I would not call either Norwich or Swansea a "tough" team.

We need more than 'a hard working team'.

True, but the teams that have maintained their Premier League status tend to be those that went up with the most accomplished squad. Norwich and Swansea have retained most of their Championship winning teams whilst QPR have bought everybody - and are still struggling. I would not call either Norwich or Swansea a "tough" team.

We need more than 'a hard working team'.

We do, like investing in up and coming talents ;) Something Nigel is pretty good at IMO.

Yeah hard working/roll your sleeves up - same hymn sheet, different words. :)

I'm not too worried about staying in the Premier league though as yet and I think that is where part of the problem may come from at City. Many play the 'what if' card a lot when we should just be concentrating on getting promotion first and then building a team capable of sustaining top flight status.

Shaun is right again too though, Nigel is good a spotting potential and Drinkwater & Marshall are exactly the sort of players that have the potential to blossom in the top flight after a year or so working on their game and gaining promotion in a team themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4490
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566