Speculation The hysterical and annoying, but traditional, totally unfounded summer 2020 rumours thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Coutinho would be an amazing signing but the club would have to commit to a change in the style of play and commit to a number of new signings in order to keep him happy and build around him. If the club are not focused on change just yet then I don't think it would be a worth while signing. Ours an opportunity to move upto a regular to 6 side or better.

End of the day he's the sort of high profile player, like Tielemans, who we need to try and attract if we want to establish ourselves as a top 6 side. He's be an expensive flop if it didn't work out though..

Messi or Mbappe would also be great. I could plead ignorance over how Mbappe is pronounced and start a chant to the tune of that Hanson song. Top bantz, top playaz.

Did anyone read the article?

It says it would be a loan.

£18m plus his wages for a season - in the current market for a player of his ability, that wouldn't be terrible.

Still don't think it will happen mind you.

Did anyone read the article?

It says it would be a loan.

£18m plus his wages for a season - in the current market for a player of his ability, that wouldn't be terrible.

Still don't think it will happen mind you.
£27m for a year. How much does the Europe League get us?

£27m for a year. How much does the Europe League get us?

Would be a huge statement signing though, and would probably help attract other players too, which could make the difference to push us into the top 4 next year.

Like I say, I don't think it would happen but I think it would be worth the gamble for sure.

Maybe with the story about Coutinho surfacing once again, this is a good time to put our financial position into some sort of context.

King Power do not put money into Leicester City. They haven't since we got promoted in 2014. Therefore, our money for transfers comes from our income/profit. Maybe KP will change their approach and put some money into the club this year but I doubt it. They've got their own financial issues if you have a look at the still closed duty free airport in Bangkok.

Last year, our net spend on transfers was about zero. The previous year, our net spend on transfers was about £10m.

Over the two years prior to that, when we had a huge boost in income due to the title win and Champions League participation, our total net spend was about £55m.

So, with a title win and Champions League in the mix, we have spent a net total of about £65m in the last four seasons.

So ordinarily we could potentially expect a net spend of around £15m this summer.

The circumstances are different this year though. We have had a massive drop in revenue due to COVID-19. We are also in the process of paying off a two year loan for our new training ground which was tied to our TV income this season and next season.

Therefore, I would be very surprised if we had any money for transfers this summer. Talk of Coutinho and anyone of that type is utter nonsense. It's simply beyond our means.

We will be after free transfers, loans and pretty minor transfers unless we sell to generate money. We need to get players off the wage bill and we need to sell one asset (probably Chilwell) in order to bring in the four or five players that we clearly need for next season.

Maybe with the story about Coutinho surfacing once again, this is a good time to put our financial position into some sort of context.

King Power do not put money into Leicester City. They haven't since we got promoted in 2014. Therefore, our money for transfers comes from our income/profit. Maybe KP will change their approach and put some money into the club this year but I doubt it. They've got their own financial issues if you have a look at the still closed duty free airport in Bangkok.

Last year, our net spend on transfers was about zero. The previous year, our net spend on transfers was about £10m.

Over the two years prior to that, when we had a huge boost in income due to the title win and Champions League participation, our total net spend was about £55m.

So, with a title win and Champions League in the mix, we have spent a net total of about £65m in the last four seasons.

So ordinarily we could potentially expect a net spend of around £15m this summer.

The circumstances are different this year though. We have had a massive drop in revenue due to COVID-19. We are also in the process of paying off a two year loan for our new training ground which was tied to our TV income this season and next season.

Therefore, I would be very surprised if we had any money for transfers this summer. Talk of Coutinho and anyone of that type is utter nonsense. It's simply beyond our means.

We will be after free transfers, loans and pretty minor transfers unless we sell to generate money. We need to get players off the wage bill and we need to sell one asset (probably Chilwell) in order to bring in the four or five players that we clearly need for next season.
Thank you for the numbers, I have been trying to make this point recently, and this makes it much clearer.

Talk of making us a top 4 club or even top 6 is not backed up with investment. The reality is we are still 'little old Leicester'. Our spending reflects that so it's inevitable that our performances almost certainly will.

As a result we have ended up with a squad mix of talented but inconsistent young players (Chilwell, Madison...), those too old to perform regularly (Morgan, Fuchs...) and gambles that haven't paid off (Ghezzal, Kaputska...)

Of course we have Evans, Soyunchu, Ricardo and Vardy who generally perform to a consistently high standard but that's not enough to have realistic expectations of a top 6 finish.

For the record I am not absolving Rodgers entirely of our poor performances in the second half of the season, but he can point to the limitations of our squad and make a strong argument that our season has been outstanding. You might even argue that a collapse from such amazing early season form was almost inevitable.

Of course we can hope that our young players get better and more consistent, that we don't get too many injuries and have to rely on our aging or inadequate backup too much, and that some of our 'bargain' signings pay off, but there is a big difference between hope and expectation. (Approximately £100 - £150 million difference IMO)

This bit definitely put me off a bit too!

Would prefer to keep agents like that away from our club generally
He’s not an agent, he is leachcunt, a fairly new phenomenon which can only be found sucking blood from footballers and their perspective employers.

Talk of making us a top 4 club or even top 6 is not backed up with investment. The reality is we are still 'little old Leicester'

We have advanced in status, it's just that players no longer seeing Everton, West Ham and Newcastle as a step up is nowhere near as exciting as thinking we should be on an equal footing with the big six so many people don't realise it (imo, obviously).

Mirror 'exclusive' that Chilwell is ready to ask for a transfer to get a move to Chelsea: https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/foot...ansfer-22431169.amp?__twitter_impression=true

Chilwell doesn't get near enough credit from our fans IMO.

This would be a loss, and it would hurt. It will hurt even more with us having missed out on CL for him to move to the team that finished one place above us.

It's brilliant if it allows us to strengthen across the squad.

We don't spend money unless we sell a big asset and so young Ben enables us to do it.

Ricardo is twice the player of Chilwell, if I could keep one it would be him every single time.

We don't spend money unless we sell a big asset and so young Ben enables us to do it.

Ricardo is twice the player of Chilwell, if I could keep one it would be him every single time.

I completely agree with the last bit - but they play different positions, so I'd rather keep both.

I'd rather keep the good players we've got and add to that as we can, rather than selling our best assets to fund other players who are very mixed fortunes in what we get back - or in Maguire's case for example, where we didn't even manage to sign a replacement.

If we get £100m for Chilwell and can replace him with 3-4 good players, then great.

But my worry is we will end up with more like 40-50m and that won't get us much.

The club have shown they will fight for a good fee, so hopefully we will get more. But I don't see Chilwell going for as much as Maguire did, although I think he's more valuable to our team.

Yes but (presumably) a large chunk of that would have to be spent on a new left-back. Thomas showed great potential but we can’t go in to the season with only him and a crocked (and past it) Fuchs as our only options. So arguably it wouldn’t allow us to strengthen across the squad.

I see no positive in losing another first choice player and strengthening a rival in the process.

I don't think Chilwell is good enough at the moment, he can't defend and is very frustrating with his final ball, if he was more consistent he would be a brilliant player.
I don't want him to leave especially to a rival but he's not the Ricardo off the left side.
The problem would be to find a replacement jem for peanut so we could spend the money on a proper winger.
Rico from Brentford??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670