Speculation The hysterical and annoying, but traditional, totally unfounded summer 2020 rumours thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah lets spunk £50 million on a player that will only go down in value and isn't any better than our current two CB, still he could replace Morgan on the bench

Have you checked out any of his stats?

For 2019/20, all three played 38 matches.
Tarkowski (left) vs Evans (centre) vs Van Dijk (right)

Screenshot 2020-09-12 at 06.06.08.png

Whilst it's important to note that stats aren't everything, they often say plenty. Clearly Tarkowski beat Evans in many categories. Even his percentage of duels won vs lost - something which I consider Evans to be very good at.

He also beat VVD in some categories, however I do realise that defensive stats (more so than attacking) are often swayed by the team you play in, i.e., likeliness to concede more goals or face more shots etc. Nevertheless, I think the team you play in only makes a difference to a point and then individual strengths and weaknesses manifest themselves.

For £50m I believe he's too expensive. However, even at £35m, imo he's worth it as long as we play with three at the back.

Bournemouth had a great first team and manager don't you know? All cracking players and some have even gone on to Newcastle which shows how brilliant they are. Not sure how they weren't in the top 6 tbh. Brentford is a similar mystery with all their amazing players that lost out on promotion to feckin Fulham. All Burnley players are shit though cos it's Burnley.
Sarcy fecker

Signing players who will develop for the future is great, but if that's all we sign we will always be a team with potential, but not enough product. If we want to win anything we also need to sign players who can produce consistently right away.

If I were manager, I'd want five players. I'd happily lose at least a dozen too. We have a large squad, most contributing feck all.

To significantly strengthen our squad - which is what it desperately needs - we must have some fresh faces, players hearing the management messages for the first time, new personalities around the place to counter the mood drop over the last few months.

The obstacle appears to be that our budget doesn't cover the cost of the players we're chasing. It's a jigsaw puzzle, if we sign our first choice centre back, we cannot afford our first choice winger, and so on. So we've trapped ourselves into inertia.

We could sign a couple of loan players or free transfers even. Freebies and loans we've made since coming up include Tielemans, Fuchs, Albrighton and Cambiasso. They exist. At least 14 of the other 19 PL sides have done this.

I just don't get what we're playing at. We all know that a back four is best. We all know that we don't need to improve upon three of them - Ricardo, Evans, Soyuncu - so why did we sign a right back for so much and are now seemingly willing to spend a fortune on a centre back? It defies logic. If we're spending serious money on any part of the team, it should be left back and right sided forward. The other gaps can be plugged without such a bewildering amount of fuss.

Yeah lets spunk £50 million on a player that will only go down in value

What’s that got to do with it? We should buy a player if he can improve our team and squad now. Not buy a player because in a few years he’s value will have increased and we can sell him to Man City, Man Utd, or Chelsea (thus proving he’s a quality player once they sign him, of course).

What’s that got to do with it? We should buy a player if he can improve our team and squad now. Not buy a player because in a few years he’s value will have increased and we can sell him to Man City, Man Utd, or Chelsea (thus proving he’s a quality player once they sign him, of course).
Especially since he’s a senior player.

Have you checked out any of his stats?

For 2019/20, all three played 38 matches.
Tarkowski (left) vs Evans (centre) vs Van Dijk (right)

View attachment 15440

Whilst it's important to note that stats aren't everything, they often say plenty. Clearly Tarkowski beat Evans in many categories. Even his percentage of duels won vs lost - something which I consider Evans to be very good at.

He also beat VVD in some categories, however I do realise that defensive stats (more so than attacking) are often swayed by the team you play in, i.e., likeliness to concede more goals or face more shots etc. Nevertheless, I think the team you play in only makes a difference to a point and then individual strengths and weaknesses manifest themselves.

For £50m I believe he's too expensive. However, even at £35m, imo he's worth it as long as we play with three at the back.
If tackles won, aerial battles, and clearances are all separate categories, how the **** do they determine what a ‘duel’ is?
I may sound like a Luddite but **** me, stats have gotten crazy. What happened to judging a player with your own eyes?
I can’t wait till we lose to a team on ‘actual’ goals but beat them on ‘expected’ goals.

If I were manager, I'd want five players. I'd happily lose at least a dozen too. We have a large squad, most contributing feck all.

To significantly strengthen our squad - which is what it desperately needs - we must have some fresh faces, players hearing the management messages for the first time, new personalities around the place to counter the mood drop over the last few months.

The obstacle appears to be that our budget doesn't cover the cost of the players we're chasing. It's a jigsaw puzzle, if we sign our first choice centre back, we cannot afford our first choice winger, and so on. So we've trapped ourselves into inertia.

We could sign a couple of loan players or free transfers even. Freebies and loans we've made since coming up include Tielemans, Fuchs, Albrighton and Cambiasso. They exist. At least 14 of the other 19 PL sides have done this.

I just don't get what we're playing at. We all know that a back four is best. We all know that we don't need to improve upon three of them - Ricardo, Evans, Soyuncu - so why did we sign a right back for so much and are now seemingly willing to spend a fortune on a centre back? It defies logic. If we're spending serious money on any part of the team, it should be left back and right sided forward. The other gaps can be plugged without such a bewildering amount of fuss.
Since we are linked with center backs and no longer being linked with wingers it seems to be based on 352 becoming our norm. Perhaps they have decided a wing back and a center back is cheaper than a winger. Otherwise it doesn't make sense.

Since we are linked with center backs and no longer being linked with wingers it seems to be based on 352 becoming our norm. Perhaps they have decided a wing back and a center back is cheaper than a winger. Otherwise it doesn't make sense.
In that case, we need a striker.

Just imagine if we hadn’t ****ed the Champions League place we should have coasted to.

We have a big enough squad, but not a good enough squad.
I think BR dosregards certain players already and tules them out as being eligible to seriously play a part. Therefore his answer is based on his version of the squad and if you take away 8-12 players then it really isn't big enough for four comps.

Brendan looks ****ing pissed off. I wonder who's not pulling their weight

I think BR dosregards certain players already and tules them out as being eligible to seriously play a part. Therefore his answer is based on his version of the squad and if you take away 8-12 players then it really isn't big enough for four comps.

Brendan looks ****ing pissed off. I wonder who's not pulling their weight

it’s all going to end in tears

Like how you left the rest of my post off to suit your own post, if you quoted my entire post then the part that I say he isn't any better than what we already have and spending £50 million on a bench or squad player isn't worth it, but hey you obviously just wanted to post for likes so crack on.

So we are quoted £30m for a 19 year old centre back and £50m for Tarkowski. Now it's £50m for Brooks too (Alan Nixon is usually quite reliable).

Isn't it now obvious that we're trying to sign the wrong players?

Like how you left the rest of my post off to suit your own post, if you quoted my entire post then the part that I say he isn't any better than what we already have and spending £50 million on a bench or squad player isn't worth it, but hey you obviously just wanted to post for likes so crack on.
Thanks for reading my mind and telling me what I was looking for. Yes, you’re right, I live for likes on an Internet forum.
I didn’t quote the rest of your post because while I happen to think Tarkowsko would be a very good signing, I have no problem with others who may or may not think differently. I quoted the one part of your post because, in my opinion that was the only part that made no sense, for the reasons I mentioned in my reply.
But, YAY!!!!!!, other people who I’ve never met liked what I said. Aren’t I just the best!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566